Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I now humbly apologize, and withdraw my earlier position on modern pistols

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I now humbly apologize, and withdraw my earlier position on modern pistols

Not too long ago, I posted the following; it concerned Glocks specifically, but was intended to encompass all striker fired polymer guns:

"Consider the man who carries a 1911. He radiates aplomb as he strides through the city. His eye is intrepid, his gait cocksure, his countenance censorious. He need not fight; youthful gangsters feel his presence in their bones a block away.

"Now consider the man who chooses to carry a firearm that more closely resembles an iPhone than it does one of John Moses Browning's noble creations. Does he move among the thugs with the same dash?"

I was wrong. I was wedded to the old and living in the past. I have changed my position. The 1911 is now sitting on the shelf in the gun cabinet. On the hip is an M&P 9mm, in all its polymer glory. I have joined the modern world; late to the party, perhaps, but there nonetheless. The gun I trust my life to in the Big City is indeed polymer and striker-fired.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I guess “you whore” is too harsh. (:

Change seems more difficult as I age.
    I am genuinely considering a P10-C. It checked all the boxes.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Not too long ago, I posted the following; it concerned Glocks specifically, but was intended to encompass all striker fired polymer guns:

"Consider the man who carries a 1911. He radiates aplomb as he strides through the city. His eye is intrepid, his gait cocksure, his countenance censorious. He need not fight; youthful gangsters feel his presence in their bones a block away.

"Now consider the man who chooses to carry a firearm that more closely resembles an iPhone than it does one of John Moses Browning's noble creations. Does he move among the thugs with the same dash?"

I was wrong. I was wedded to the old and living in the past. I have changed my position. The 1911 is now sitting on the shelf in the gun cabinet. On the hip is an M&P 9mm, in all its polymer glory. I have joined the modern world; late to the party, perhaps, but there nonetheless. The gun I trust my life to in the Big City is indeed polymer and striker-fired.
    It was the M&P with Apex kit that finally had me make the change from my beloved 1911s, which has been the case for many, even well known 1911 smith, Hilton Yam. You can't be "wrong" by carrying a quality 1911, but we know have polymer guns with ergos that are very close, good triggers (nothing beats a goo 1911 trigger), higher capacity, acceptable accuracy, and less moving parts and need for maintenance. So, that makes it a no brainer for most.

To throw a wrench in all this, the best of all worlds may be the Wilson EDC X9, but I have no experience with it:

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/edc-x9/
    Last edited by WillBrink; 11-30-18 at 16:57.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score

I was with you 'til you said "M&P". My Glock is crying. Repent by purchasing a G17 or G19 forthwith.

I love 1911's. I'd sell every "Plastic Fantasic Lover" I have right now if I could have about five 1911's that feed any kind of ammo and don't cost more than a Glock.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 11-30-18 at 16:57.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In my opinion, liking one platform (1911) doesn't mean that another (plastic fantastic) is automatically disliked.

For carry purposes when size isn't of critical importance, the chosen tool is an aluminum framed a CCO-sized 1911 chambered in .45 Auto. When that's not going to work, a 9mm Gen 1 Shield goes along for the trip.

If firepower trumps all other qualities, a 5" M&P M2.0 9mm, possibly with an extended magazine, is what I'll choose.

Having said that, none of the plastic fantastic approaches the satisfaction of using a fine 1911.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    In my opinion, liking one platform (1911) doesn't mean that another (plastic fantastic) is automatically disliked.

For carry purposes when size isn't of critical importance, the chosen tool is an aluminum framed a CCO-sized 1911 chambered in .45 Auto. When that's not going to work, a 9mm Gen 1 Shield goes along for the trip.

If firepower trumps all other qualities, a 5" M&P M2.0 9mm, possibly with an extended magazine, is what I'll choose.

Having said that, none of the plastic fantastic approaches the satisfaction of using a fine 1911.
    I did exactly the same as you. Small .45 1911 when I could, Shield in the pocket when I couldn't.

But the M&P has replaced the small 1911. 18 rounds is better than 8.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    "We need to get over the romance of carrying an out-dated, heavy, marginally reliable pistol, and get onto the business of shooting smelly bad guys in the face with a modern pistol" - Markm.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I did exactly the same as you. Small .45 1911 when I could, Shield in the pocket when I couldn't.

But the M&P has replaced the small 1911. 18 rounds is better than 8.
    What happened to the cheap Rugers?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast