Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.0 earthquake Anchorage

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

7.0 earthquake Anchorage

Last edited by austinN4; 11-30-18 at 13:40.

Feedback Score
    Just confirmed that a friend of mine is ok up there. He said it was definitely a big one!
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    About 45 miles south of me. It was the biggest I've felt in 40+ years of living up here. They are still assessing transportation issues in and out of Anchorage and the international airport. No reports of deaths or injuries at this point, but there will be millions in property damage. Entire city and most of the outlying areas are out of power.

Anchorage only has one way in and out, and has about 60,000 commuters that travel it from Wasilla and Palmer. Most folks are headed home, but the capacity of the highway is diminished with bridge damage and some road damage.

At my hardware store we lost about $500 in product. Mostly cleaners and a few cans of paint. No structural damage. My wife has a Christmas gift shop and there was quite a bit of loss.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    About 45 miles south of me. It was the biggest I've felt in 40+ years of living up here. They are still assessing transportation issues in and out of Anchorage and the international airport. No reports of deaths or injuries at this point, but there will be millions in property damage. Entire city and most of the outlying areas are out of power.

Anchorage only has one way in and out, and has about 60,000 commuters that travel it from Wasilla and Palmer. Most folks are headed home, but the capacity of the highway is diminished with bridge damage and some road damage.

At my hardware store we lost about $500 in product. Mostly cleaners and a few cans of paint. No structural damage. My wife has a Christmas gift shop and there was quite a bit of loss.
    Damn dude. As long as you and your family is okay, the rest should square itself away.

That a big one for sure. I have only been in a couple of very minor earthquakes. One I didn't even know happened. It was a centered in VA in 2011, by the time it got to NJ it wasn't anything crazy. I was in a conference room going over a project with other architects engineers, walk out and everyone in the office was is asking me if I felt it. I can't imagine what a 7.0 would be like.

Stay safe!
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    My aunt and uncle live in peters creek and my aunt says a bridge collapsed between them and anchorage, and my uncle is stuck in anchorage.

Last edited by VIP3R 237; 11-30-18 at 15:19.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    My aunt and uncle live in peters creek and my aunt says a bridge collapsed between them and anchorage, and my uncle is stuck in anchorage.
    Traffic is moving with re-routes around the damage, but it's really slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Damn dude. As long as you and your family is okay, the rest should square itself away.

That a big one for sure. I have only been in a couple of very minor earthquakes. One I didn't even know happened. It was a centered in VA in 2011, by the time it got to NJ it wasn't anything crazy. I was in a conference room going over a project with other architects engineers, walk out and everyone in the office was is asking me if I felt it. I can't imagine what a 7.0 would be like.

Stay safe!
    Imagine someone putting a front end loader against the side of your house and shaking it for about 90 seconds. I'm still shocked at what modern construction can withstand without even cracking drywall seams. I had to time the waves to get my front door open to my house.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Last edited by austinN4; 11-30-18 at 16:23.

Feedback Score

Glad you’re OK.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Glad you’re OK.
    Ditto. Glad you and your wife made it through ok, Doug.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the well wishes. Other than some extensive household cleanup, 90% of 300,000 people fared just fine. Probably 10% of homes have actual structural damage. Pretty much everyone has their power back on and there are about 200 folks with gas issues. Amazingly there have been very few fires, no deaths and few injuries. For a 7.0 earthquake striking right under about 1/2 of Alaska's population, there has been remarkably little damage. Earthquakes this size usually kill dozens, if not thousands in some other countries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast