Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 inch BCM upper with Stag A2 lower?

Feedback Score

20 inch BCM upper with Stag A2 lower?

I'm pretty new to the firearms scene, as only having ever owned one rifle (a S&W 16 inch M&P Sporter). I have since sold that carbine as money was tight. I've been doing as much research as I can for my next purchase (I might attempt an actual build one day.) This rifle will be used primarily for training and home defense. I wanted some input into this subject as to what I should include and or stay away from? I am thinking of going with a 20 inch BCM upper and Stag arms A2 lower. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Why do you want a 20" especially when you indicate for home defense and training? A 16" carbine is more than sufficient and more compact for such a role. There are lots of sales happening right now. Take a look at these uppers and then find a lower of your choice.

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There is not much advantage to an A2 lower. I suggest getting a carbine lower, which gives much greater flexibility now, and for future changes.

Stag is my favorite of the mid-grade AR manufacturers. They are not the equal of BCM, Noveske, LMT, KAG, etc, but I think for a lower they are a solid choice.

A 16" BCM upper would be an excellent choice. The extra velocity gained from 4" of additional barrel is of minimal utility, and the handing is greatly impacted.

Just one more suggestion: either spend the money on good optics, or stick with decent irons for now. Cheap optics have no place on a defensive weapon. Magpul, Troy, and others have good back-up iron sights that will work fine as primary sights until you save up and make a decision on optics.

Feedback Score
    I will be honest I have gotten a lot of information from guys on Youtube but in particular Reid Henrichs... he does a video about his AR setup and I agreed a lot with what he said so I figured that could work for me.. and in close quarters that 4 inches probably isnt going to make much of a difference velocity wise I'm thinking correct? As far as optics go I am definitely leaning towards an Aimpoint or the Trijicon MRO.. Also for you guys with more experience... is it paramount to have a light that you can operate ambidextrously? I will definitely take a look at the 16 inch uppers.

Feedback Score
    A 20 inch upper on an A2 lower will be significantly longer than a 16" upper on a collapsible stock. There is more like a 9 inch difference in overall length with stock fully collapsed.

Get a bcm 16" upper and, if you're really strapped for cash, a complete palmetto state armory lower which can be found for under $200.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Ref question on light placement. Mine is where I have the best control with my support hand. Not easily manipulated by my strong hand and I am right handed. If you were clearing buildings with lots of halls and doors where you would change sides, YES I can see this being advantageous. For my home, I am GTG.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    A Stag A2 lower is every bit the equal of a comparable BCM. You would have to go Colt to get a better receiver extension.

I'm with everyone else on the 20" A2 setup. It's a dinosaur by today's standards. An adjustable stock and a 16" barrel makes worlds of difference in handling ease.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SLewis View Post
    A 20 inch upper on an A2 lower will be significantly longer than a 16" upper on a collapsible stock. There is more like a 9 inch difference in overall length with stock fully collapsed.
    I believe the difference is 7 1/4" from my measurements.

I cant argue with the reasoning of most regarding a carbine for home defense, though my favorite all around type for shooting is the 20" rifle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you are pretty sure you want a fixed stock, I went this route with one of my ARs....fixed A1 stock but a 16" mid-length upper. Shoots nicely. I love Magpul's SL handguards and would put them on this gun if it didn't require swapping out the triangle handguard cap with a round one.

I even did this for a while - lightweight carbine upper on a fixed stock lower. The setup didn't like PMC bronze for some reason I never determined but it ate steel cased stuff with no issue, the upper has since been stuck on a carbine lower and spray painted but I do find the shorter barrel/fixed stock combo to be enjoyable to shoot. The dark blotches on the barrel are from where a sling melted to it following a firing session, Oops.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I would highly recommend going with a BCM mid-length gas 16" upper for your described use. It will do everything you need it to and be perfectly reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast