Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holding over 77 TMK with NX8: how much distance?

Feedback Score

Holding over 77 TMK with NX8: how much distance?

My planned setup is an 11.5” barrel, a Nightforce NX8 and BH 77 TMK loads with a 200 yard zero. Before I start spending, I’m curious as to how far out I can push the round while using hash marks without having to dial anything for the scope. If I just wanted to treat the NX8 like an ACOG, ignore the turrets and just learn the drops, how much range can I expect for this barrel, optic, ammo and zero combo? How long will the round’s impacts stay in the reticle before I need to dial mils?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Really tough to tell you without chronograph data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Really tough to tell you without chronograph data.
    MarkM was getting about 2500 FPS out of an 11.5” barrel with the BH 77 TMK

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Using a 11.5 Sionics RGP barrel and BH 77gr 556 TMK, with a 200 meter zero, Strelok Pro says approximately 11 Mils at 500 yards...

Of course this is theoretical and would need to be verified, but the reticle has sufficient elevation. If you're punching paper or plinking steel, the round will get there from an 11.5 barrel, as I have shot mine with this round and a 1x4 scope with BDC type reticle. Took me a while to find the steel and consistency was not there for me. How much velocity the bullet still has for anything besides paper/steel is a different matter.

Attachment 54800

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Using a 11.5 Sionics RGP barrel and BH 77gr 556 TMK, with a 200 meter zero, Strelok Pro says approximately 11 Mils at 500 yards...

Of course this is theoretical and would need to be verified, but the reticle has sufficient elevation. If you're punching paper or plinking steel, the round will get there from an 11.5 barrel, as I have shot mine with this round and a 1x4 scope with BDC type reticle. Took me a while to find the steel and consistency was not there for me. How much velocity the bullet still has for anything besides paper/steel is a different matter.

Attachment 54800
    This is awesome, thank you. The setup just seems to make sense to me, if anyone is using a similar setup I’d love to hear about it.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    No problem. If you're shooting much beyond 200 yards, a ballistic app for an iPhone or Android is a useful tool. I'm using Strelok Pro, but there are others out there too. The apps aren't very expensive either, compared to a ballistic computer.

Feedback Score
    That’s a pretty nice little scope, I really like my 1-4X24 NXS and the FC-3G.

Using a Leica LR1600b to range, I’ve gotten first round hits out to 552 yards with my KAC SR-15 and that little scope on top with the BDC.

Maybe someday I’ll be able to put a 1-8 ATACR on the SR-15.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post

Attachment 54800
    Not jumping on you cause I know you’re trying to help, but this is way off. Something in your data is throwing off the drops/holds in the software.

OP,
    I just took a Kyle Defoor scoped rifle course with my 11.75” and NX8 where we shot out to 600 (ammo was 75gr Hornady OTM). My zero is a 100 yd zero though...IMO, I suggest you consider doing the same instead of the 200 yd.

My actual confirmed dope for this setup in the conditions we were in (50’s, overcast, windy, and raining) was the following:
    0.6 mil @ 200 yds
    1.6 mil @ 300 yds
    2.8 mil @ 400 yds
    4.0 mil @ 500 yds

I didn’t write down my dope for 600 because I didn’t actually make a hit on the BC Steel target (KD4 was spotting for me and trying to get me on, but I was all around the target) but I believe I was somewhere around 5.5 mils at 600. Combined with the weather conditions and the fact I was shooting basically with a mag rest and ruck in front, I was pretty much maxing out the capability of the platform.

I’ve also shot out to 600 in the past with a 16” and in either cases with both barrel lengths, 400 was pretty easy, 500 doable, and 600 got pretty tough to hit consistently. I consider the AR a realistic 400 yd platform in either barrel length.

As for the NX8, you’ll have more than enough hold over marks to get you there. Also, I was super impressed by the optics of the NX8 especially in those conditions. I even got to see it next to the ATACR and was even more impressed...honestly was expecting to be blown away by the ATACR, but I wasn’t. The NX8 is honestly the absolute best scope on the market for a 0-400 AR, even more so on an SBR, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 12-02-18 at 20:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Not jumping on you cause I know you’re trying to help, but this is way off. Something in your data is throwing off the drops/holds in the software.

OP,
    I just took a Kyle Defoor scoped rifle course with my 11.75” and NX8 where we shot out to 600. My zero is a 100 ya zero though (and I suggest you consider doing the same instead of the 200 yd).

My actual confirmed dope for this setup in the conditions we were in (50’s, overcast, windy, and raining) was the following:
    0.6 mil @ 200 yds
    1.6 mil @ 300 yds
    2.8 mil @ 400 yds
    4.0 mil @ 500 yds

I didn’t write down my dope for 600 because I didn’t actually make a hit on the BC Steel target (KD4 was spotting for me and trying to get me on, but I was all around the target) but I believe I was somewhere around 5.5 mils at 600. Combined with the weather conditions and the fact I was shooting basically with a mag rest and ruck in front, I was pretty much maxing out the capability of the platform.

I’ve also shot out to 600 in the past with a 16” and in either cases with both barrel lengths, 400 was pretty easy, 500 doable, and 600 got pretty tough to hit consistently. I consider the AR a realistic 400 yd platform in either barrel length.

As for the NX8, you’ll have more than enough hold over marks to get you there. Also, I was super impressed by the optics of the NX8 especially in those conditions. I even got to see it next to the ATACR and was even more impressed...honestly was expecting to be blown away by the ATACR, but I wasn’t. The NX8 is honestly the absolute best scope on the market for a 0-400 AR, even more so on an SBR, in my opinion.
    This is excellent, thank you so much. Glad you got to do that course, long range shooting in the cold, windy rain isn’t exactly my favorite thing to do. Also glad to hear your report of the NX8, it just seems like it would be perfect on top of an SR-15 CQB in a Scalarworks Leap Mount. What I REALLY want is a UBR 2 to finish it out....

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    No worries. I started thinking about it today and my 18” is like 3.25 mils at 500 with a 100 yd zero. OP, sorry to have given bad info, but this is better news for you with the set up you’re going for.

I’ll check out Strelok as I’m sure the error is the user and not the tool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast