View Poll Results: Where are you most likely to need a gun for self-defense? (Not on LE/Mil job)

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • At home

4 6.78%
  • In my automobile

9 15.25%
  • NOT in my home or automobile

19 32.20%
  • While moving from / to my home / automobile

27 45.76%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are you most likely to need a gun for self-defense?

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Gun free zones make me the most concerned and alert.

Feedback Score
    Most likely in or in vicinity of your vehicle, & amongst a large, varied crowd, such as at shopping malls, grocery stores, eating establishments & similar venues. As we all
    have seen, an armed assault can occur anywhere, at any time. All it takes is one pissed off moron looking to shoot his ex, or an actual or perceived act of 'disrespect' while you're driving to initiate such an act. BUT, my standard advice when asked what to do in such a situation, is to observe, & only, I repeat only act with lethal force if blood had already been shed. Why, you may ask ? Because even if you act totally within your legal & moral rights, & are later presented with a medal from your town elders, your attorney will be asking you for all the legal fees you've amassed during the process !! OK, I'm done. Sorry for the brief sermon, but I just thought it was appropriate.

Best, dpast32
    Last edited by dpast32; 12-12-18 at 09:14.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Had a gun out twice, both at home.
    Once a drunk guy on Xmas eve around 1am. I had the Mauser, covering Dad as he opened the door. Turned out OK, probably pretty dumb in hindsight.

Second time a realtor decided to show the house I was renting without calling first. 8am on a Sunday. I had pulled a 24 and had just gotten to bed about an hour earlier. Me with an 870 in boxers as they opened the door probably led to that person not renting the place.

Feedback Score
    The number of people killed in a home burglary are tiny - something like .004% of all murders.

I don't see a gun in the car as much protection against road rage, unless you plan on abandoning your vehicle.

So I voted option 3 - the stuff that happens when you go somewhere outside your regular haunts - like a late night out downtown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gödel View Post
    The number of people killed in a home burglary are tiny - something like .004% of all murders.

I don't see a gun in the car as much protection against road rage, unless you plan on abandoning your vehicle.

So I voted option 3 - the stuff that happens when you go somewhere outside your regular haunts - like a late night out downtown.
    If I was attacked while in my car my first choice is to drive away or at the attackers. If I can't and need a gun I'm grabbing the "car gun" first. If it runs empty I have my carry gun as backup.

Also, sometimes I may carry in a way that makes it slow to draw while sitting in a car, the "car gun" is easier and faster to get to.

And should I end up on foot in the bad areas I commute through I want a pistol (the "car gun") that holds more rounds than what I might normally carry, with extra mags, and all of which is concealable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    If I was attacked while in my car my first choice is to drive away or at the attackers. If I can't and need a gun I'm grabbing the "car gun" first. If it runs empty I have my carry gun as backup.

Also, sometimes I may carry in a way that makes it slow to draw while sitting in a car, the "car gun" is easier and faster to get to.

And should I end up on foot in the bad areas I commute through I want a pistol (the "car gun") that holds more rounds than what I might normally carry, with extra mags, and all of which is concealable.
    You've really done a great deal of planning against the highly unlikely, but I'm concerned you haven't mentioned your trunk gun or engine bay gun. Shouldn't you have a carbine under the hood in case you are become involved in road rage while checking your oil?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gödel View Post
    You've really done a great deal of planning against the highly unlikely, but I'm concerned you haven't mentioned your trunk gun or engine bay gun. Shouldn't you have a carbine under the hood in case you are become involved in road rage while checking your oil?
    Your right. I'm a dead man.

Feedback Score
    Fwiw, i've uncovered and put my hand on my gun once, was about to draw my gun once, and was sitting in the front seat of the car with the drawn handgun in hand, waiting for the move that would initiate my starting to send rounds. This doesn't count waking up in the middle of the night to some unknown sound, and investigating, gun in hand. Although, that happened one time, I found my then young son in the living room.
    I uncovered and put my hand on my gun in response to being followed by some creep in a car while taking a late night walk, over 30yrs ago.
    Some 25yrs ago, I was being approached in the grocery store parking lot by a guy scanning the lot, and fumbling under his shirt, also late at night. As I was grabbing my own gun, someone came out of the store, and he changed course.
    A yr or two later, was sitting in the car, at a little Riverside beach, watching the sun set, when I realized the park's bathroom was being used as a pharmacy. Went to leave, one was moving to block us in, and do whatever. My pistol was just below dashboard line, out of his sight, as he rolled his window down, while reaching under his front seat. He changed his mind and moved out of the way, for whatever reason.
    Nothing since. First time, I was alone. Second time, was with wife. Third time, wife in passenger seat, baby in back seat next to older sibling.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    I carry my weapon all the time. I mean you never know when you are going to be selected to be a victim it is someone else who does that for you.
    "Its The Skill Set Of The Person Behind The Weapon"

Feedback Score
    You guys that carry all the time must be LEO or have jobs that allow it. I don't think I've ever worked a job that did allow, and some don't even like pocket knives. Luckily for me, my commute isn't thru any sketchy areas, I get gas at the same station and don't go out after dark except for the occasional date night which is about the only time I carry. Some out of town trips but none that I can carry responsibly. Having a boring life means less risk of attack!
    Last edited by mikedamageinc; 02-19-19 at 09:59.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast