Thread: Things to look for in an AR pistol/sbr function

Feedback Score

Things to look for in an AR pistol/sbr function

I know short barreled AR's are finnicky things by default, but are there things i should keep an eye on besides the obvious (cycling,feeding and last round hold open)?

Feedback Score
    How short? Once you get to 10.5” or so, I would not consider them finicky.
    Buy quality parts, especially a barrel with correct port size, and it should serve you well.

Feedback Score

Things to look for in an AR pistol/sbr function

I personally wanted to stay at least carbine length gas. Thats why I didn’t go shorter than 10.5. I have no real experience with this other than, I built my 10.5 and it runs great. From reading it seemed in .556, pistol length gas systems tended to be more finicky. 300 blk out being more forgiving. Most agree a 11.5 is a better choice in 556. A good barrel with properly sized gas port and an H buffer and you’ll be good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cdclpc; 12-25-18 at 10:18.

Feedback Score
    10.3 is the shortest I would go. I have 10.5 and 11.5. One is a Faxon i built and the other is a Car15 clone my dad did of what he carried when he was in MACVSOG. Carbine length is not a problem it's just making sure you have quality parts.

Feedback Score
    There's a few different directions you can go with that question.

I'll disagree that they're all that finicky anymore. Most companies have figured out that if you overgas the crap out of the shorter barrels, they will run underpowered Russian ammo without fail and dirt-clod sniper Johnnie will never complain as he only shoots a few mag dumps per year. That also means full power 5.56 will cause premature wear on your parts. If you don't want to deal with an adjustable gas block I would be more selective on where you're getting your barrel.
    "In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -George Orwell