Thread: Lancer L5 ranger plates?

Feedback Score

Lancer L5 ranger plates?

So I've recently started running Lancer L5 AWM mags. The majority of the reviews I've read/watched are positive to the verge of being fanatical. Steel lips, non-tilting, visible round count, cool colors, can take a beating better than Tina Turner, what's not to love, right? So, I went ahead and bought a few, plus a couple more. I love the dark earth translucent version, or as I call it: "Dirty Tranny". Mostly because they're dirt colored and transparent, but also because I use them for both 5.56 and .300 BO. Get it? Two things in one package, like a .......whatever.

My only gripe so far is the lack of an upgradable baseplate. All of my Pmags and most of my GI mags have Magpul ranger-plates installed. I really, really like ranger plates. Not just as a pull assist but as a shock absorber for when they get dropped on hard surfaces as well. I'm currently using some of the original Magpul rubber assists on my Lancers until something better comes along(if ever). They work well enough, but I'd like a more integral component to the magazines construction and similar in overall profile/orientation to the ranger plate. Not just a rubber jock-strap slipped over the mags ass like a diaper.

Now, before I get brow-beaten and ridiculed with the typical barrage of gun-forum abuse for asking a question, I'll go ahead and get some of these out of the way:
    Q:"Hey noob, ever hear of Google?"
    A: I tried Google, with several search phrase variations. I even tried Googles nerdy cousin Bing to no avail.
    Q: "Hey bro, why you need cock-ring on yo mag? Just go without it, dog".
    A: Because cock-ring mags make me shoot better and give me more stamina on the range, that's why.
    Q: "Hey boot, just use riggers tape and 550 cord like I did in Grenada!".
    A: It's 2018 and this is Trump's America, If I finally get the chance to shoot at commies I want to do it with an engineer designed, mass produced grabby-thingy that click-snaps on my L5's instead of just using tape and string like a rain-sodden contra.
    Q:"Hey dude, have you tried epoxying a tab or, you know, something like a tab, in place?"
    A: I'm not going to risk gluing my hand to my dick again, period.

Anyways. It seems there's no after market anything for this magazine which seems weird in that it's been around for awhile now and enough people like running ranger plates. Is there something out there I haven't seen yet?
    Or can some industrious 3D printer capable shooter maybe take a break from printing liberators and make some Lancer compatible tabs?
    Has anyone come up with their own specific hack for this that they're proud of and want to share?
    Last edited by 77nodnarb; 04-04-19 at 00:02.

Feedback Score

So, I went ahead and just made my own. Seemed like a preferable alternative to just bitching about these things not existing. Especially for something as dumbshit simple as a plastic/rubber pull tab.
    step 9.jpg

So, basically, I just took some gen2 ranger plates and trimmed off the retaining flanges. Then drilled a hole to work with the L5's disassembly button.
    step 2.jpg

Then I roughed up the contact surfaces on the bottom of the L5 baseplates and the ranger plates with my dremel.
    step 4.jpg

Mixed up some Loktite plastic bond and spread an adequate amount on both surfaces, then clamped em together for a few hours.
    step 5.5.jpg

After curing they're ready for the dremel again. Cut to size, file to fit
    step 8.jpg
    Last edited by 77nodnarb; 12-09-18 at 23:22.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice!

Feedback Score
    Why not just turn the Magpuls sideways? I personally haven't found the Ranger Plates very durable on my M3 PMAGs, with the pull tabs coming off under mild use. Instead, I've opted to install the Magpuls sideways, to mimic the Ranger Plate orientation; I have done this with all of my M3 PMAGs, M2 PMAGs, L5AWMs, and L7AWMs.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 12-10-18 at 00:28.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    I was running magpuls on the L5’s initially. They’re fine for what they are. I have a couple of old HK steel mags plus the odd assortment of 20 rounders that I use magpuls on. Again, they’re fine for what they are.
    But, I just prefer ranger plates. They’re slimmer in profile and sit better in double or triple mag pouches. They don’t require stretching to remove for mag maintenance (which will eventually make them lose their integrity).
    Basically, I didn’t see any reason not to just bastardize my own in lieu of the availability (or lack thereof) of any options. Just my $.02.