Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock Grip Reductions and Trigger Reach

Feedback Score

Glock Grip Reductions and Trigger Reach

I have a gen 3 G19 that is a little too big for my hands; meaning, when I hold the pistol and index it correctly, I can barely reach the trigger. I had a gen 3 G17 that fit better and the S&W M&Ps I've handled fit better as well. The big issue with the G19 being trigger reach. My question: Can a grip reduction shorten the trigger reach on a G19? I have considered just selling the pistol and buying one of the many pistols that fit better but I would lose money and have a bunch of magazines and holsters to get rid of.

Thanks for your knowledge and comments.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    From what I've seen the primary benefit of Glock grip reductions is for more comfort/purchase with the gripping fingers, rather than moving the web of the hand closer to the trigger. Another advantage for some is that the weapon is more 'pointable' with the heel of the backstrap removed.

If you strip your frame and remove the trigger housing you will see that there is very little material that can be removed above the trigger housing pin. As close as I could figure with my calipers the material is about 0.133 thick across that location. You couldn't remove all that thickness, I'd guess max would be around 3/4 of the thickness, about a 1/10th of an inch (.09975). That is not going to get you very much additional finger on the trigger.

Smoothing the front of the grip and getting the backstrap reduced would probably allow you to more comfortably break your grip by placing the moving from the 'vee' of the hand to the proximal joint of the thumb. This compromise would allow more finger onto the trigger.

I really think that is what Robar is talking about when they make this statement in their FAQ's:

Will the Glock grip modification reduce my trigger reach?

Our modification will provide significantly better control of your weapon. It will also provide better access to the trigger.

This is their description of the grip reduction:

Robar’s® Backstrap Reduction is the most popular grip reduction offered and usually is sufficient enough of a reduction for 85% of people. We remove the hollow palm swell on the backstrap, fill the area, smooth it over and texture the back and sides in our ‘medium’ grit texture. The result is a straight grip angle and a smaller, more manageable grip size. If you shoot high with a conventional Glock™ grip you will right on target after the reduction.

Here is another company that does these: http://www.burnscustom.com/glock.html

In terms of selling the pistol - Glock 19's are pretty popular, I cant imagine you'd have trouble pedling your mags and holsters.

My opinion is that I would go to a pistol that fit my hand better. Shooting with a less than optimal grip limits you.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    "Here is another company that does these: http://www.burnscustom.com/glock.html"

Can you please check the link? I can't get it to work or find the shop thru Google.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB2000 View Post
    I have a gen 3 G19 that is a little too big for my hands; meaning, when I hold the pistol and index it correctly, I can barely reach the trigger. I had a gen 3 G17 that fit better and the S&W M&Ps I've handled fit better as well. The big issue with the G19 being trigger reach.

The M&P 2.0 Compact is the same size as the g19 and as you said the M&P grip fits you better. It's a no brainer to me to switch. The argument about having too many gear to a certain platform isn't valid in my book. Sell them and cut your loss. Having a gun that fits better thus allowing one to shoot better is worth the switch.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    "Here is another company that does these: http://www.burnscustom.com/glock.html"

Can you please check the link? I can't get it to work or find the shop thru Google.

Is Dane Burns still in business? Do a research on that name before acting.

There are a whole lot more Glock grip reducers out there.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My question: Can a grip reduction shorten the trigger reach on a G19? I have considered just selling the pistol and buying one of the many pistols that fit better but I would lose money and have a bunch of magazines and holsters to get rid of.
    Yes. I had a grip redux done by Boresight and it did reduce the reach. There are grip reductions and there are grip reductions. To get trigger reach shortened, the reduction has to involve the area under the tang, and not all of them do. In addition, there is something that's called glove bevel, it also helps the reach a little. However, from a standpoint of economy, those mods are pretty expensive and at the same time hard to recover in resale. I think your easiest and least permanent solution is to get on of those aftermarket straight triggers that also shorten a reach.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post

Edited: Apparently he retired. https://pistolsmith.com/pistolsmiths...m-pistols.html
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 11-30-18 at 22:12.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Is Dane Burns still in business? Do a research on that name before acting.
    Apparently he retired: https://pistolsmith.com/pistolsmiths...m-pistols.html

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    The M&P 2.0 Compact is the same size as the g19 and as you said the M&P grip fits you better. It's a no brainer to me to switch. The argument about having too many gear to a certain platform isn't valid in my book. Sell them and cut your loss. Having a gun that fits better thus allowing one to shoot better is worth the switch.
    It's important to separate real fit like trigger reach from subjective "feel" when doing this, but think about the time and money you are wasting training now. Get the gear that works for you.

I can suggest you try a Gen4 or Gen5 before you switch platform, they have a shorter trigger reach than the Gen3. Shorter than what is possible with a grip reduction on your Gen3 and your mags and holsters will work.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a gen 3 G19 that is a little too big for my hands; meaning, when I hold the pistol and index it correctly, I can barely reach the trigger. I had a gen 3 G17 that fit better and the S&W M&Ps I've handled fit better as well. The big issue with the G19 being trigger reach. My question: Can a grip reduction shorten the trigger reach on a G19? I have considered just selling the pistol and buying one of the many pistols that fit better but I would lose money and have a bunch of magazines and holsters to get rid of.

In short, yes, a reduction will help trigger reach. Will it provide enough of a difference to make it worth it for you is the question.

Try a 4th Gen Glock if you can and go from there. A correctly reduced 3rd Gen will provide a grip smaller than a 4th Gen. One thing to consider is the upper section of the grip. Very little material can be removed form this area, as the polymer is very thin already. When glock reduced this are on the 4th Gen guns, they had to redesign the connector house to accommodate the reduction in size. I have seen too much material removed from this area, causing a hole in the frame.

Ultimately, a reduction changes the geometry of how your hand sits on the grip, which in turns affects how much finger reaches the trigger.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 12-01-18 at 17:47.
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast