Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chore-Boy really works to remove lead!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Chore-Boy really works to remove lead!

I tried it when much soaking in Shooter's Choice Lead Remover and brushing failed to remove that last 10% of the lead in the bore.

I cut several 1.5 inch strands, and wrapped it around the brush. Pass it back and forth a few times, and Voila! No more lead.

But you should use the pure copper kind:

https://www.choreboyscrubbers.com/ch...-scouring-pads

The ones in local stores are all "copper-coated steel" for cheapness and I don't trust them in my bores. I had to order the real pure copper stuff online. (The bad drives out the good everywhere).

This stuff works and a few pads ought to last years.

I recommend it.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have used it in my .45-70 and it works better than anything else I have tried. Choreboy's website claims Publix grocery stores carry the pure copper pads, I will have to go and see.

Random trivia you probably didn't need to know - people burn the copper coating and oil off the steel chore boy pads and then use them to smoke Crack rocks. Sadly the strung out lady you see buying them didn't decide to spruce up her trailer.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-02-18 at 20:07.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have used it in my .45-70 and it works better than anything else I have tried. Choreboy's website claims Publix grocery stores carry the pure copper pads, I will have to go and see.

Random trivia you probably didn't need to know - people burn the copper coating and oil off the steel chore boy pads and then use them to smoke Crack rocks. Sadly the strung out lady you see buying them didn't decide to spruce up her trailer.

Andy

Indeed they do. I live in the Big City. In gas stations and bodegas you can buy small glass tubes with no immediately apparent purpose, displayed next to those very same steel-based scrubbing pads.

So now we have a second unintended use for Chore Boy pads, other than feeding the addiction: removal of lead from bores. "Officer, I swear it's not paraphernalia, it's just to clean guns!"

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Indeed they do. I live in the Big City. In gas stations and bodegas you can buy small glass tubes with no immediately apparent purpose, displayed next to those very same steel-based scrubbing pads.

So now we have a second unintended use for Chore Boy pads, other than feeding the addiction: removal of lead from bores. "Officer, I swear it's not paraphernalia, it's just to clean guns!"
    I live in the country. The Hindu country store sells single Chor Boys. Probably use them for meth too?

Feedback Score
    So your saying these will help get clean the lead off my Ruger GP100 .44 Special? (Safe to use on Stainless Steel I presume?)

AND I can use another to clean my ceramic slow-cookers and iron skillets?!

What's the catch?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    So your saying these will help get clean the lead off my Ruger GP100 .44 Special? (Safe to use on Stainless Steel I presume?)

AND I can use another to clean my ceramic slow-cookers and iron skillets?!

What's the catch?
    The catch is that many brick and mortar stores carry the copper coated steel chore boy pads, not pure copper. The link Uni-Vibe provided shows the package for the correct pads. Other than that, no catch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The catch is that many brick and mortar stores carry the copper coated steel chore boy pads, not pure copper. The link Uni-Vibe provided shows the package for the correct pads. Other than that, no catch.
    Thanks! I'll give them a try.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just did another "chore" today. Cut about a 3.5 inch strand, wrapped it around ye olde bronze bore brush, a few brisk strokes, and lead is gone.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I always used these to clean anything I shot lead out of: (edit: pistols or revolvers)

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod21587.aspx

Brass is tougher than copper and won't damage the bore. You'll find it shaves chunks out of leaded barrels.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I misread the thread title as 'Choir-boy'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast