G&R Tactical
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: AR-556 Delta Ring

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    169
    Feedback Score
    0

    Question AR-556 Delta Ring

    Has anyone converted their Ruger AR-556 screw on delta ring to a regular delta ring assembly? If so, can you give details and which assembly you chose? Also, pics would be nice as well.
    I have built AR-15's with the regular delta ring assembly, but I am hearing nightmare stories when it comes to replacing the Ruger AR-556 delta ring.
    Thank You!
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    314
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What's the nightmare? The removal of the polymer ring? I believe looking at the rcvr from the muzzle end, the Ruger ring actually removes with the rotation the right. I've seen a few issues with either going the wrong direction or due to small "warpage" of the plastic ring, you might have to really go after it. Nice concept (imo) had they made it from aluminum.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    169
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    What's the nightmare? The removal of the polymer ring? I believe looking at the rcvr from the muzzle end, the Ruger ring actually removes with the rotation the right. I've seen a few issues with either going the wrong direction or due to small "warpage" of the plastic ring, you might have to really go after it. Nice concept (imo) had they made it from aluminum.
    I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. It's the delta ring barrel nut that people are having a problem getting off. I have read that they are using a Dremel to remove the nut because of it being too tight to remove with an Armorers wrench.
    I own the AR-556 and really like the ease of its use. I also agree with you that it should have been made from aluminum or light steel.
    I bought a 1' length of rubber fuel line to use as a type of strap wrench to loosen mine. I also put a few drops of oil on the barrel nut threads.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    AZ-Waging jihad against crappy AR's.
    Posts
    24,538
    Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Some of the ones I have seen were overtorqued and seized onto the upper. That may be what they are referring to.

    Quote Originally Posted by AR-556 View Post
    I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. It's the delta ring barrel nut that people are having a problem getting off. I have read that they are using a Dremel to remove the nut because of it being too tight to remove with an Armorers wrench.
    I own the AR-556 and really like the ease of its use. I also agree with you that it should have been made from aluminum or light steel.
    I bought a 1' length of rubber fuel line to use as a type of strap wrench to loosen mine. I also put a few drops of oil on the barrel nut threads.



    Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

    Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

    M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

    Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    6
    Feedback Score
    0
    I put a free float handguard on a friend's Ruger. The factory barrel nut was definitely torqued over spec. I had him hold the wrench to the gun to keep it from slipping off and it took all I had to get it off. I'm not a small guy either.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    169
    Feedback Score
    0

    Exclamation

    I might see if I can find a CNC/machine shop that can make the polymer ring part from aluminum, or light steel. I'm sure it will probably be expensive, but it's worth a try to see if it can be done. I will also ask if it can have the regular delta ring lines made into it so it will look like a real delta ring. I just don't like the "cheesy" look of the polymer ring.
    I added MAGPUL MOE SL furniture to mine.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    169
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Some of the ones I have seen were overtorqued and seized onto the upper. That may be what they are referring to.
    This.^^^^
    I read that they tried to heat it with a torch and that didn't work either. I have AR-15 tools because I have built (3). It's plain silly for a barrel nut to be that tight. SMH!
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    314
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Certainly isn't limited to Ruger. Several months, after trying every method known to mankind for several hours, a friend of mine pooped the DPMS nut loose with a dead blow hammer and armorer's wrench. Very nice hammer with interchangeable, assorted weight heads. I need one.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    S FL
    Posts
    212
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    BCM does the same thing.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •