Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Term Vehicle Appearance Upkeep

Feedback Score

Long Term Vehicle Appearance Upkeep

So I bought what I hope is my last new truck for, well, ever...and I plan on riding out into the sunset in it barring any major accident or disaster. So I'm looking for suggestions to maintain the paint and exterior here in the South TX sun. 2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. Love it! Huge ride and comfort improvement over my very solid but loud 2011 2500HD Duramax.

I'm pretty solid on my mechanical system maintenance, to include running full synthetic fluids, quality filters, change things at recommended intervals, etc. I'm pretty anal on that stuff. It's maintaining the paint and exterior plastics I have a hard time doing consistently right.

Typically, I try to give my vehicles a good wax and other preservatives every year. I use a paint clay every couple years, and I generally use the Meguire brand Ultimate stuff, black bottles. But is that enough? Should I do this semi annually or even quarterly? Is there a professional/different line of product that's significantly better or worth more cost? I'd definitely pay more for an easier process. Not really looking for a different brand of the same thing...unless I'm that far off track.

I keep seeing ads for some F11 Top Coat stuff, but I'm guessing it's probably too good to be true.

Looking for what's working for y'all. This is my daily driver and is generally parked outside 95% of the time.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    and is generally parked outside 95% of the time.
    Any way to keep it inside is #1, outside but covered (not by a tree) is #2. You already bought it so it's late to pick a color, but I hope you picked white or something else light.

Regular washes, wax or sealant of your choice, etc. Wax won't come close to the benefit of being stored inside a garage.

Some car guys I know would carry a quality car cover and use it when parking for more than a few hours, but that's not really practical with a pickup truck.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cosmoline!!!

Any shade? Garage? Roof overhang? Otherwise wax. Maybe once every couple months depending on rain...etc..

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Cosmoline!!!
    Or just put a clear wrap on the car.

The paint the auto industry uses today is pretty durable. Both the paint and clear coat are industrial grade. Having said that, I would at least 1 time a year, like the first of the year get a major detail like, shampoo carpet, interior, clay bar and wax. If your truck has exterior plastic on it like around mirrors, fenders, bumper or trim, that's a different story. You can do as much as you can but eventually the plastic will oxidize and fade. But don't let that stop you from using Armoral, Mothers plastic protectant or similar.

Remember the chrome used on bumpers and wheels is not industrial hard chrome plating, its hydro chromed or flash chromed. Its purely cosmetic. Just try not to scratch the chrome if possible, you cant just buff out chrome or spot repair it without re-chroming the whole piece. I think you will be alright as long as you keep away from hail, shopping carts etc. I think the sun will do more damage than rain.

I personally think turtle wax is a far superior product compared to others. Turtle wax makes most commercial products for car washes and detail shops.

Have your truck cleaned regularly as normal but once a year, have it professionally detailed in and out with clay and wax. That should keep your truck looking new.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for responses. I could keep it in the garage at night most nights, but that doesn't help me with the sun. Still, it's a thought.

I am normally a "white truck" guy (owned 5 white trucks in my life), but this one is that really light Chevy Silver. I'll look into Turtle Wax...any specific product line?

Feedback Score
    Like the guys said above. Keep a good coat of wax on it.

Also, get your windows tinted as dark as legal in your area. You should be able to get a dash cover for it and of course put shades in the windshield. This will all help keep interior temperatures down and limit direct sunlight.

Not much you can do about the plastic exterior pieces and lights. (Don't put wax on black exterior parts, they'll turn whitish and it's near impossible to get the original color back) But at least the lights are replaceable when they fade or get other UV damage. Mind you some can be pretty expensive.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    I’d do a wrap. We use it on ambulances and it’s incredibly durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    You could do a wrap like a clear bra on the whole car like this guy did:

https://youtu.be/2BV0PMYfc3o

Also window tint and consistent use of a shade in the front glass will help the interior a lot, not only for keeping materials from UV degradation but also just a nicer place to spend time.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A good coat of wax and keeping the vehicle garaged will go a long way in keeping the vehicle looking nice.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    dark window tint, unless you do a high grade ceramic, doesnt do shit really for UV... Those $99 tint jobs are just a dye'd film and provide zero uv protection. There is ceramic tint that blocks 99% of UV, its not cheap. I had my 18 Denali HD done with 30% on the front windows and 70%(almost clear) on the 3 factory tint rear windows and it was 450 bucks... it works though.

As far as "keep a good coat of wax on it"... wax provides minimal minimal UV protection for the paint...modern clear coats is where your UV protection is. Modern clear coats are pretty dang good. Some of the new ceramic coatings can provide decent uv protection, but with the paint correction/prep required prior to coating, they can be 1500-2000 to have done.

With my 18 Denali HD that lives its life outside(it doesnt fit in my garage) in Dallas I got a $45 a month, unlimited car wash membership. I run it through 2 or 3 times a week. I just try to keep it clean as best I can and the rest will be what it will be.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast