Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colts Hold Their Value Better than Other Brands?

Feedback Score

Colts Hold Their Value Better than Other Brands?

It's been my experience over the years that Colts tend to hold their value (and even increase value in some cases). I remember back in the day as my collection went up and down like a rollercoaster every time I'd sell or trade an AR the only question I'd hear was , "Is it a Colt?"

I'm getting older and I realize I'll probably never live to wear out my AR's, so I'd like to keep all but one or two mint condition for future resale value.

As a result, this BCM fanboy is maturing into a "Colt snob": All horsey all the time.

What's been your experience?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I mean if you are a buyer not a shooter, and like fondling pristine ARs, I'd go with items that hold resale value too. That is only good economics.

But that is a business decision and comparing dumping another $1k into an AR that will never get shot to $1k into an investment, odds are the investment will far outperform the AR, some onerous and highly unlikely legislation notwithstanding. Even then there are SOOO many ARs out there it would take many decades to get some great return out of them.

Again, this isn't a shooting topic, it's an investment topic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post

Again, this isn't a shooting topic, it's an investment topic.
    True. Although I gave up being a "collector" many years ago, I'm reaching an age where I keep one or two shooters decked out with gear, and the rest have become more or less safe queens by default just because I don't get to the range like I used to. It was not my original intent to move back into the "collector" category: It just sorta happened. If I wanted to I could accessorize my safe queens with different optics, rails, lights, etc, and have a variety of shooters, but I just don't get to put rounds downrange as often as I'd like.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I think in that case name brand recognition is hard to argue with. When it comes to ARs, Colt is pretty much the 'standard' to deviate from and a name everyone knows - even people who aren't gun people.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personally, I have a large AR collection. Most of them are shooters, but I do have a few older Colts that I do not shoot. Some have been shot once since I bought them and a couple others have never been shot and never will be as long as I own them. I do not buy older Colt ARs for investment purposes. I buy them because I like the older models. Pre-ban Colts will most always have a strong value and some are worth a great deal more than what they did 10 years ago. Newer Colts, in my opinion, do not hold they value any more than other factory ARs from the likes of BCM, DD, LWRC, KAC, and some others. They do not appreciate in value, but they are slow to depreciate in value. I do see plenty of guys buying Colts in hopes of cashing in on them years down the road. They are waiting on something catastrophic to happen to drive the market price up like what happened when there was talk of a ban under Obama. I will add that there are some less expensive brand name ARs that do tend to retain much of their value since they are bargain-priced to begin with and are easily resold a few years down the road for slightly less than they were new.

If a person chooses to buy new Colts because of the brand name, that is on them. If they buy them for banking on a profit later on, they may be disappointed. Pre-ban Colts will always have a place in my collection because they were made when the Colt name really meant something.

Here is my small Colt collection. There are 36 other AR-15s in addition to these.

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Yep, in my experience brands like colt definitely hold their value or go up. Unless you’re talking brands like Kac or HK most others do not hold their value as much.

Feedback Score
    As Renegade04 mentioned, I think Colts have historically held their value better than most brands, but that may also be a function of the company's history of limited supply, restricted sales channels, discontinued/rare models, etc. The same could be said for KAC and LMT. I would not, however, expect that to be the case for a basic 6920 after they started selling them by the container at Walmart and every other big box store.

Aside from transferrable machine guns and the occasional unicorn or political anomaly, I don't believe firearms are an "investment" in the traditional sense. Example: a Thompson submachinegun that originally cost $165 in 1928 is $2,435.81 in 2018 dollars. If new machineguns were legal today, you could likely buy one from Auto Ordnance for little more than the cost of the semi-auto, which retails for around $1300.
    --Nick
    Owner, Reptilia & Side Project, LLC

Feedback Score
    True, you shouldn't buy firearms as an "investment" unless you're talking transferable machine guns.

All I'm talking about is that by the time you're too old to keep shooting and you'd like to at least get your money out of them, then IMHO Colt is the only brand that will hold its value over time.

Of course we can't predict what might be true 20 years from now. By then we might have had to register all of them and they will be selling for NFA prices anyway!

Feedback Score
    Nothing like that rampant colt...all of my AR’s are Colt’s except for my SR-15 & a couple range guns, which are mostly BCM’s or BCM’s with Colt uppers. They make a great rifle & have more time in the game than anyone.
    They’re an American institution & I’ll gladly to continue to buy them. They definitely hold their value & you’ll never go wrong buying a legit Colt. I’m super excited they’re starting to branch out with the Trooper, EPR, & CCU...hopefully there is more to come!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To me they hold their value in the sense that I know what I'm getting. I understand why I'm paying $600 for a used 6920 vs $400 for some brand new no name

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast