G&R Tactical

Thread: Thermal scope advice needed

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thermal scope advice needed

Hi all,

I searched the forum before posting, but the threads I found were either not relevant or very old so the information would no longer be relevant.

I am in the market for a thermal scope for hog hunting, and would like some input from the community on what has worked best for you. I currently own a Sig Echo 1 thermal reflex sight, but it doesn't provide a good enough image to be able to positively identify targets which I need because I hunt in a field with cattle in it as well as wild hogs. I have searched on line, but most information I've found seems biased. I am looking for a quality thermal scope can identify a target out to at least 200 yards, with detection out to 1,000 yards.

I am considering the IR Hunter Mk III 35mm from Trijicon, the FLIR ThermoSight PRO PTS736, and any other scope that the community might recommend.

Thanks!
    “Christianity without discipleship is always Christianity without Christ.”
    -Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have had the IRHunter since it came out upgrading to a MKIII/60mm 2 years ago. It is as awesome as it gets, but it is pricey too. Hogs vs cows ID is easy out to several hundred yards.

I think the Pulsar XP-50 is a more budget friendly scope that will still get it done.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The XP-50 looks interesting. One thing that stands out to me about it is the 50hz refresh rate. All the other thermals that I have looked at have either a 30hz or 60hz refresh rate which is a quite noticeable difference when shooting fast moving targets or from a moving vehicle. How noticeable is the difference between the 50hz and 60hz refresh rates?
    -Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Feedback Score
    If I was buying today, id look at pulsar XP50, flir pts 536, or trijicon IR hunter series.
    Im personally holding out a year or two for the pts536 in the next step up resolution.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After looking quite a bit at the Pulsar XP50 Trail, I also discovered that they now make it with a laser range finder built onto it. This is definitely the thermal that I want, but no one seems to have it in stock. Do any of you have a recommendation for a reputable retailer that carries Pulsar optics?
    Last edited by TexHill; 12-07-18 at 12:26.
    -Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    After looking quite a bit at the Pulsar XP50 Trail, I also discovered that they now make it with a laser range finder built onto it. This is definitely the thermal that I want, but no one seems to have it in stock. Do any of you have a recommendation for a reputable retailer that carries Pulsar optics?
    one left

https://www.hueyoutdoors.com/product/lrf-xp50-trail/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you sir! The only downside, $500 in sales tax.
    -Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Feedback Score
    Thank you sir! The only downside, $500 in sales tax.
    I don't know the first thing about this topic but I did run into this on another thread. You can buy this for the sales tax.

https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight2-hd-...le-scope-3-14x

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I don't know the first thing about this topic but I did run into this on another thread. You can buy this for the sales tax.

https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight2-hd-...le-scope-3-14x
    I made the mistake of buying one of those once. Never again. Luckily I was able to sell it for what I paid for it. The old adage of "you get what you pay for" is never more true than when it comes to optics.
    -Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Feedback Score
    I made the mistake of buying one of those once. Never again. Luckily I was able to sell it for what I paid for it. The old adage of "you get what you pay for" is never more true than when it comes to optics.
    Well, thanks for the review. Now I will never repeat that mistake.