Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compensators for the M&P Shield?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    I don’t run a comp on anything, but in my opinion not really. Think about where your gun tends to print...the grip right?

It’s why it was upsetting that Glock mixed up the plans on their new pistols. Most folks I know wanted a shorter more concealable grip with a longer sight radius/controllability that the longer slides offer.
    And it has a rather sizable grip extension too...I suspect that set up still a tad easier to conceal, if for nothing else it's still also thinner than a G19 or VP9, but also seems to be heading in the direction of defeating the purpose of a Shield. I would be curious to see what it feels like to shoot one. Other than full sized comp guns, never shot a compact/sub compact pistol with a comp.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    And it has a rather sizable grip extension too...I suspect that set up still a tad easier to conceal, if for nothing else it's still also thinner than a G19 or VP9, but also seems to be heading in the direction of defeating the purpose of a Shield. I would be curious to see what it feels like to shoot one. Other than full sized comp guns, never shot a compact/sub compact pistol with a comp.
    The pic I posted isn't mine (nor do I own a comped shield). I just remembered seeing the product and thought the OP might appreciate seeing it.

I don't have enough time shooting a comped carry gun (9mm or otherwise) to really know the benefits or drawbacks that go along with the comp, but I'd bet RHINOWSO is on the money about it only really benefiting an extremely proficient shooter.

As others have said, I haven't found slide length to be a hindrance on a carry gun, at least not as much as the length of the grip. I actually think a "longslide" M&P shield might carry and shoot better than the standard size, as long as there's no increase in grip length.

In either case, I agree the Samson "accessories" seem more tacticool than anything else. The pistol in the pic is probably nearly the same height and length as a G19, possibly taller with that magwell and magazine extension.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 12-04-18 at 21:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Yeah but the G45 was aimed at LE.

And people wax poetic about 'sight radius / controllability' but I've never seen any practical difference between a G17 / G19 when doing practical drills from concealment.

More mental masturbation IMO.
    I strongly disagree. The entirety of my hand fits on a g19 without changing my grip. The G34 I compete with I shoot noticeably faster if I’m keeping my accuracy the same, and I can definitely shoot it more accurately if the timer is out of the equation.

Having the front sight farther away helps track it through recoil, and the sight pictures that are in the acceptable range are going to be much tighter on the target, which means you can run wider and rears and skinnier fronts, which helps speed you up even more.

It also puts weight farther away from the axis of the grip and your hand which makes it more controllable and “flatter.”

I don’t know what practical drills from concealment means, but on the timer and under stress the difference is notable.

How much it matters in terms of what should be on your side? I dunno. The G26 is usually the biggest gun I carry anymore because my personal assessment of good enough vs will I actually have it meets around that size.

But the gains from long slide guns is quantifiable and easily explained.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I don’t know what practical drills from concealment means
    From contact to 15m, from concealment. Pick the drill on 1-3 targets.

But the gains from long slide guns is quantifiable
    So what are your quantifiable gains? Draw to first shot, splits, transitions, accuracy? What gains to you personally see?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Compensators for the M&P Shield?

Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    From contact to 15m, from concealment. Pick the drill on 1-3 targets.

So what are your quantifiable gains? Draw to first shot, splits, transitions, accuracy? What gains to you personally see?
    Split times and accuracy. And the farther away the targets the more noticeable.
    Last edited by thopkins22; 12-05-18 at 12:04.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Hopefully this is viewable for anyone who is interested. Me and a buddy did some comparisons last year between a stock 43, and one with the TBRCi attached. This was before I had a red dot on the 43, so both were shot with iron sights. We would alternate shooting one gun first on a drill, then the other, so both guns had a chance to be shot first and second, hopefully minimizing the advantage of the first gun. If I shot drill 1 with the comped gun first, Alex shot the comped gun second.

I would hardly call this rigorous academic research, but I would call it better than having a subjective opinion on the internet about something I hadn't even shot for myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12