Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bren 2 MS, USA Version - is here per CZ-USA

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Feedback Score
    SamM - thanks for the link!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    You're very welcome. As many others, I am very interested in these rifles. Hopefully, their timeline will be short.

SamM
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Feedback Score
    I was fortunate enough to be able to snag one of the 14" Bren 2Ss that made it in late last year and finally managed to break away long enough to give it a rough zero and quick and dirty accuracy test.

The Bren 2's controls are easy to actuate and very positive when wearing heavy winter gloves. The charging handle is neither too big nor too small. The weapon can be safed in any condition. The trigger guard bolt release is also easy to use with winter gloves, though it'd be nice to see an aftermarket replacement for this with wings at the bottom to keep fingers out of the trigger guard when actuating it. The first stage takeup on the trigger is long, but the second stage break is perfect: it is zero effort to break shots without disturbing sight picture. There was a 10 mph crosswind, so quick and dirty accuracy test was from 25 yards using a 5x scope. The largest of all groups was 2.5 MOA (0.65" at 25 yards) with Frontier 55gr ball.

I may be getting prematurely optimistic, but this firearm might just be the one to finally solve every little complaint I have with both the AR-15 and AK, except for the foregrip length which will need a goose neck light mount of some sort. For everything else this firearm offers, I can live without being able to orangutan grip it an inch behind the muzzle, and the Bren 2MS won't have even that issue. I can hardly wait until 7.62x39 conversion kits become available.

The MS version looks like it might be capable of supporting barrels shorter than 8". It strikes me that inclusion of a 5-7" .300blk barrel would offer strong competition to SIG's Rattler in the folding stock PDW category. Frankly, the Bren 2MS stands to easily beat SIG's MCX/Virtus series in every category, including price.

It seems it's hard to find fault with a firearm designed with the help of lessons learned from a combat tested ancestor design, guided by the strong influence of combat veterans of a 1st tier country's special forces.
    Last edited by Aries144; 02-25-19 at 04:23.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thanks for the information.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Feedback Score
    After some reflection, I've come to the following conclusions:

What obvious flaws does the Bren 2 posses?

The AK74SU length handguard (won't affect the MS version),
    Lack of an out-of-the-box suppressor setting (one could easily be added as a factory or aftermarket option, or via gunsmith modification due to the design of the gas plug)
    The in-trigger-guard bolt release (an aftermarket part with added horizontal nubs at the bottom could address this).

What does a Bren 2 offer that a factory AR15 doesn't?

Folding stock. (e.g. for use as a very short barrel PDW in 7.62x39 or .300blk)
    Armorer level maintenance with hand tools only. (no bench or vice needed, the gas block even has wrench flats for two-wrench flash hider removal)
    Better potential MRBF due to more modern design.
    Better potential MRBS in some adverse condition tests if the adverse gas setting is allowed.

What is it reasonable to expect the Bren 2 to do better than contemporary designs?

VS ARX100: Available in "Pistol" format, better average accuracy with an absence of irreconcilable extreme (6+ MOA) outlier examples, better stock trigger, better charging handle, and potential for PDW rifle calibers with barrels shorter than 10".

VS MCX/Virtus: Better controls, significantly cheaper, significantly lighter weight, stronger more corrosion resistant receiver alloy, better stock trigger, much better FCG parts life, better manufacturer reputation for QC, better replaceable handguard design for retaining zero of aiming devices, better potential MRBS in some adverse condition tests with use of adverse gas setting.

VS SCAR16s: Available in "Pistol" format, better controls, significantly cheaper, lighter weight, better stock trigger, more rugged stock design, cheaper spare parts with better availability, and potential for PDW rifle calibers with barrels shorter than 10".
    Last edited by Aries144; 11-02-19 at 05:15.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if a regular metal AR15 magazine will lock in the 7.62x39 Bren 2?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Does anyone know if a regular metal AR15 magazine will lock in the 7.62x39 Bren 2?
    The magwell is too big for an AR15 mag. The 5.56 version of the Bren 2 has a magwell insert for use with AR15 mags.

At least one guy has suggested that AR15 7.62x39 mags might work with the 7.62x39 version if you can get your hands on a 5.56 magwell insert.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    I was fortunate enough to be able to snag one of the 14" Bren 2Ss that made it in late last year and finally managed to break away long enough to give it a rough zero and quick and dirty accuracy test.

The Bren 2's controls are easy to actuate and very positive when wearing heavy winter gloves. The charging handle is neither too big nor too small. The weapon can be safed in any condition. The trigger guard bolt release is also easy to use with winter gloves, though it'd be nice to see an aftermarket replacement for this with wings at the bottom to keep fingers out of the trigger guard when actuating it. The first stage takeup on the trigger is long, but the second stage break is perfect: it is zero effort to break shots without disturbing sight picture. There was a 10 mph crosswind, so quick and dirty accuracy test was from 25 yards using a 5x scope. The largest of all groups was 2.5 MOA (0.65" at 25 yards) with Frontier 55gr ball.

I may be getting prematurely optimistic, but this firearm might just be the one to finally solve every little complaint I have with both the AR-15 and AK, except for the foregrip length which will need a goose neck light mount of some sort. For everything else this firearm offers, I can live without being able to orangutan grip it an inch behind the muzzle, and the Bren 2MS won't have even that issue. I can hardly wait until 7.62x39 conversion kits become available.

The MS version looks like it might be capable of supporting barrels shorter than 8". It strikes me that inclusion of a 5-7" .300blk barrel would offer strong competition to SIG's Rattler in the folding stock PDW category. Frankly, the Bren 2MS stands to easily beat SIG's MCX/Virtus series in every category, including price.

It seems it's hard to find fault with a firearm designed with the help of lessons learned from a combat tested ancestor design, guided by the strong influence of combat veterans of a 1st tier country's special forces.
    I found the accuracy to terrible with many different loads. I had the Bren 2 14inch. 1st stage trigger was to long. Great break though. I sold it based on accuracy alone.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    I found the accuracy to terrible with many different loads. I had the Bren 2 14inch. 1st stage trigger was to long. Great break though. I sold it based on accuracy alone.
    What sort of accuracy were you seeing? I'm curious if it was similar to the sub 3 MOA I was getting with 55gr ball or if it was wildly worse.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast