Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What caused this

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've seen it on my gen 2.
    Six of my seven .40 Glocks are Gen2. (I never got used to the finger grooves.) No bulges, ever...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If my memory serves me, It was Blazer Brass ammo. Since I don't load 40, I never get a good look at the brass anymore. Maybe I'll shoot a few rounds next weekend to see.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Seen this before. The person who posted said it was range pickup brass - not something they fired. This looks to be a round from a 223cal bang stick used by divers. You get the bulge when the darn thing is not screwed in tight like it should. I had a 223 bang stick back in 1983 when diving around Florida. I made a piece of brass like this once - only not as bad - when some sand got into the threads and I didn't have the chamber section screwed down and seated in tight.

Kevin

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've seen this with dirty open bolt 9mm FA.

Makes me wonder if this was a very dirty/misadjusted SAW or similar. Not an AR.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    I've seen this with dirty open bolt 9mm FA.

Makes me wonder if this was a very dirty/misadjusted SAW or similar. Not an AR.
    I don’t know exactly what I’m looking at, but I’ve never seen it with a SAW or Mk46. Neither have user adjustable headspace, if that’s what you're getting at. Maybe if there was a case neck stuck in the chamber, as someone mentioned earlier?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am not familiar enough with the saw other than internet reading to know.

But really looks like out of battery, and you know the AR won't do this. OOB, anyway.

Personally, I don't think it was premature extraction. If the residual pressure was enough to swell the case, it would have still had major friction with the chamber almost by definition. And would have ripped the rim off or similar.

So I'm thinking OOB, and probably open bolt of some kind. (But what?)

Did not think about bang sticks, back in the day they used 38 special.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    After some thinking, I don’t think a SAW can OOB. The bolt must rotate closed in order for the firing pin to protrude. I’ll have to get my mitts on one to be sure.

Perhaps a closed bolt gun like an AR or AK with a seized firing pin slam firing?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I believe you are correct. It's not a fixed firing pin. And the bolt has to advance to a certain point before it protrudes as I understand it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    After some thinking, I don’t think a SAW can OOB. The bolt must rotate closed in order for the firing pin to protrude. I’ll have to get my mitts on one to be sure.

Perhaps a closed bolt gun like an AR or AK with a seized firing pin slam firing?
    I can’t speak to an AK, but the AR cannot have a seized firing pin. If you welded it forward, you would never be able to retract the bolt. It is impossible by design for the firing pin to be anywhere near the breech face until the bolt is well and fully locked up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234