Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What caused this

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Ned,

I think you're on to something.

My first thought is something like massive excess head space to explain the short necks, but the improper chamber mouth seems to fit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Hm. Look how short the necks are. The dimension from the base to the top of the bulge is longer than expected, longer than the distance from the bolt face to the end of the chemfer lead-in to the chamber (unless it's way, way deep. Those short necks are telling us something, just not sure what, yet.....

Has this gun been fired before successfully, has anything recently been changed (bolt, barrel), any chance this is .222 ammo?

Maybe the necks are getting short because the brass to make that bulge hadda come from somewhere. In which case.... looking at that lead-in chamfer again.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Oh Lord. That's way more bulging than I expected to see. Going to definitely need a small base die to resize!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If they were .222 or something they ought not to fire as they would be kicked too far forward upon chambering. I saw this just a month ago when a Dept. was having misfires with some commercial reloads. The necks were verrry long-- rounds were not being "stopped" by the shoulder, so the extractor could not clip over the rim and the firing pin could not reach. Some did work so they were borderline.

I think it's the chamber mouth chamfer. Can we get a pic of it?

-----
    I just re-read the OP and I see we are dealing with something a place or two removed from "it happened to me". This reminds me that anything can happen when people start improving things and unless we can get closer to the situation I wonder if it even merits further discussion. Not casting aspersions on you OP, it's an interesting ocurrence, but can you bring this any closer?

Feedback Score
    The person who posted the photo said it was range pickup brass and that's all the information I have. I have never seen anything like this and I hoped possibly some of you might have.

It was my understanding with a M1 Garand with the gas port near the muzzle the bullet left the barrel before the bolt could move. But with a M14 and M16 with the gas port at mid barrel there is still pressure in the barrel when the bolt starts to move to the rear. I read that it was possible for a ejected case to be longer than the chamber because the residual pressure would push the case shoulder forward.

My first guess was the case was fired in a AR15 with a pistol length gas system and the residual pressure caused the bulge at the rear of the case. Meaning the bolt was closed and locked when the cartridge fired and high port pressure caused the case bulge.

So is there enough or any residual pressure in the barrel when the bolt starts moving to the rear to cause bulge at the base of this case. The case rims in the extractor groove are cracked, so was this caused by the extractor yanking on the rim. Just looking for other opinions by people who know more than I do about "how do it work".
    Last edited by bigedp51; 12-05-18 at 13:25.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Your guess sounds reasonable.... back to "anything can happen". If that's it, like a way-too-big pistol-length gas port, man the timing is just a bazillisecond from blowing up instead of bulging!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Hm. Look how short the necks are...

Maybe the necks are getting short because the brass to make that bulge hadda come from somewhere
    I don't think it's that the brass from the necks wound up in the bulge.

I think it's that the whole case is ballooned, which pushed the shoulder waaaay forward — think of how wildcatters "improve" cartridge cases.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Wonder if there is a broken neck in the chamber keeping it just far enough in battery it fires, then the forces slide it back enough for the bulge.
    This ^^

kwg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwg020 View Post
    This ^^

kwg
    Nah. This state doesn’t exist on an AR...if this was an AR that is I guess.

Take your bolt carrier out and play with it. The bolt begins locking up as soon as the carrier starts sliding forward around it. The firing pin is incapable of protruding until the bolt has rotated almost the entirety of its path meaning it is completely in battery and completely locked up behind the lugs on the extension before anything else happens.

I suppose technically debris could lodge perfectly between the bolt face and the primer...but outside of that it just ain’t happening.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What caused this

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I don't think it's that the brass from the necks wound up in the bulge.

I think it's that the whole case is ballooned, which pushed the shoulder waaaay forward — think of how wildcatters "improve" cartridge cases.
    I think this is the ticket.

My guess echos Ned’s earlier supposition that somehow he managed to get a .222 Remington cartridge to go bang in a .223 or 5.56x45 chamber which would account for the shoulder getting fireformed all the way up into the neck, and maybe could have led to the high pressure somehow that led to the case ballooning into the voids back at the head.

Edited because I mixed up chamber and case in my post as Ned pointed out below.
    Last edited by thopkins22; 12-06-18 at 00:23.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Actually I was thinking a .222 in the .223 chamber. I mean, it would go but should not fire.... but it's not impossible. I would say a .223 in a .222 chamber, with the bolt so far out of battery, it would never fire.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast