Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Best" All-Around Optic for your AR?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Red dot sights are great. But they suffer all of the same issues that magnified optics do...some they mask better than others.

This “keep new shooters to red dots” is like keeping new shooters to iron sights. Fundamentals are fundamentals, whether you’re shooting iron sights or the best glass money can buy.

Can red dots mask problems of not having a consistent cheek weld or improper eye relief to the optic? Sure. But since when was masking and ingraining problems in a shooter good for their development as riflemen?

Most people don’t know how to teach shooting, and a percentage of people don’t know how to learn. But why pretend that the equipment is leading to that?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

The "Best" All-Around Optic for your AR?

Quote Originally Posted by shadow93 View Post
    I know Wake27 disagrees with the LPVO for LE work but I've got to a Razor-E for my duty rifle.
    I don’t think I said that... if I did, I’ll have to find it later and figure out what I was talking about. I agree with every part of what you said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 12-12-18 at 19:00.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    What about a digital night scope? You could use that in the daytime and since the night is 1/2 the time and the most likely time for trouble, wouldn't the big hole in optic coverage be ability at night? The digital scope is too rich for my blood but maybe the OP if flush with money.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    What about a digital night scope? You could use that in the daytime and since the night is 1/2 the time and the most likely time for trouble, wouldn't the big hole in optic coverage be ability at night? The digital scope is too rich for my blood but maybe the OP if flush with money.
    Is there any digital nv thats good?
    Ive only tried a cheap ATN (I know, wasnt mine), but it was horrible during the day.
    Id rather have a lpv and decent white light.

Feedback Score
    Any other suggestions but perhaps with a FFP reticle?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I also don't think LPVO for general issue MIL/LEO is a good idea. But best all around optic for a relatively serious shooter - Razor.
    I think this is the part of your statement I was referring to Wake. Which in reality not that it matters anyways because I can't convince most the guys on my department to spend the money to go more than a SPARC very less a Razor for their duty gun. "But what if I gotta shoot someone!? Thats too much money to have tied up in evidence!" But you'll be alive and or saved someones life... "But muh money!"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What benefit are you obtaining on a general purpose optic by going to a FFP as opposed to a SFP? I don't know a ton about scopes other than I use one but I generally see this question, and had it myself, when people aren't sure of the difference.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    FFP on a LPVO/1-4X is a waste of money and weight IMO.
    FFP comes into its own with high(er) magnification scopes where you can take advantage of MIL or ranging ticks and not have to be on top magnification.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    FFP comes into its own with high(er) magnification scopes where you can take advantage of MIL or ranging ticks and not have to be on top magnification.
    I agree with this. 1-4/1-6(maybe even 1-8), you’re either on 1x or the top end.

If Im shooting at a distance where bullet drop matters, I’ll likely have time to dial up the mag.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I’ve been considering a LPVO for a few years and thought I was set on a SFP. Now after seeing some of the offerings this past year FFP is looking more interesting. I love the concept of the Eotec Vudu sr1 where their circle dot disappears to reveal the hold over reticule. Also some of the ACSS designs in FFP from Primary Arms look very usable in FFP configuration.

I feel it could be comforting to know you don’t have to be exactly at max zoom for everything to jive but i have only run red dots and have no experience

Has anyone with FFP and SFP LPVO experience changed there minds in the last year or so?
    Last edited by OldState; 12-13-18 at 10:17.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast