50 53.19%
  • Other

20 21.28%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.5" or 14.5" SR-15? First AR

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigereye View Post
    And, $30,000 for the lowers if $100 each. Wow!
    I'd bet they were Anderson or PSA.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There were several deals for Black Friday $40-$50

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigereye View Post
    And, $30,000 for the lowers if $100 each. Wow!
    If you're paying $100 for a lower, you're doing it wrong.

Last time I had a receiver transferred at a Washington FFL, the FFL by state law, had to collect state tax on the total invoice.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Go with the KAC first your first rifle. You won’t regret it. Even though it’s more than BCM ($1000) and Daniel Defense ($700), but it’s worthy it...why? Because it comes with iron sights, and also you don’t need to spend extra $250 to upgrade your trigger. It also comes with rail cover and vertical grip that you don’t need to spend extra money on it. Lastly it comes with H2 buffer should you decide to run suppressor later on. KAC parts are expensive to begin with, if you added those “accessories” you are not that far off BCM or DD.
    If you like KAC, then buy KAC. If you buy other brand first, you may end up with KAC eventually, but you end up spend way more (by selling your rifle)

As for 11.5 vs 14.5, it depends on if you are planning to shoot it suppresses or not, if yes, get the 11.5 then don’t look back. If no, then ask yourself what type of optic you planning to put on? If you planning to put on red dot/eotech then 11.5. If LVPO such as 1-6, 1-8, 14.5 might be better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocMaynard View Post
    Thanks all for the advice! I've budgeted in accessories other than a suppressor. I do plan on SBR'ing the lower and with how short Form 1 wait times are, it couldn't hurt. I don't travel outside the state much at all, and never with guns esp since my closest relatives are in CA.

I'll think hard on the KAC upper and possibly reconsider since a lot of folks are telling me training + ammo > gun. But I'm still open to the question of 11.5" vs 14.5". Is it possible to use one lower for both those lengths?

Can you elaborate?
    Spend some time doing some well thought out shooting but... people put way to much emphasis on going to fantasy operator camp. According to this board the only way you can learn to work a gun well is by attending a celebrity instructor fantasy gun camp.

If you can afford to put quality optics, lights etc on it... Buy the KAC, the only people on here advocating you don’t buy a KAC are people who don’t own one and never will because they’re poor.

14.5” is a great general purpose barrel length... if you’re doing a lot of door to door, murder on sight CQB work then 11.5. If you’re only going to own ONE rifle.. I think it’s hard to beat a 14.5 for versatility.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    OP,

You need to buy a factory built KAC rifle in 16" barrel length.

There are several posts in this thread full of BS.

A factory built rifle is/would be a grandfathered assault weapon should the assault weapons ban return.

Building a gun from a stripped lower is not a grandfathered AW.

Do not get a pinned flash hider. They are nearly impossible to remove without a great deal of messing around and lower the value of your gun. They lock to into a configuration that cannot be easily changed in the future.

If you have the money to spend, I would just go out and buy some combination of 11.5", 14.5", 16", and 18" KAC LPR and then an 16" or 20" SR-25 and skip all the BS with the other brands. I'd even go take out a loan and buy all of them right now because the democrats are going to return in 2020 and it isn't going to pretty.

The KAC URX4 is the best handguard on the market. It is stiff and slim. Uses no stupid muffler clamp style attachment that can squirm used by most other lesser brands.

You cannot build a KAC quality level rifle for less money.
    Last edited by scottryan; 12-11-18 at 11:54.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    A factory built rifle is/would be a grandfathered assault weapon should the assault weapons ban return.

Building a gun from a stripped lower is not a grandfathered AW.
    Lol, wut?

A - What makes you think there will even be grandfathering on AW2? I don't think that's a safe assumption at all.

B - That's not how it worked for AW1...If it was lawfully owned and configured as an "AW" on the date of enactment, it was grandfathered. Didn't matter where it came from or who made it.

KAC is great, but going into debt to buy 14 rifles because the Dems are coming in 2020 is dumb. If they have their way, his $30k of KAC will be just as illegal as my $1000 BCM.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For give for not reading all the responses. So this may have been said, but I’ll say it again.

I would get an 11.5” over a 14.5”. I’d build a pistol lower and submit a form 1 to sbr it.

For your ‘first’ AR I’d buy a 16” sr15 complete rifle. Form 1 that lower and buy an 11.5” KAC upper down the rd after you get your tax stamp. LPVO on the 16” and red dot on the 11.5”

The concussion and blast from an 11.5” is not that bad imo.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have SR-15 11.5 mod 1, and LPR mod 2. I’m planning to add 11.5 or 14.5 mod 2 into my collection but I still can’t decided which 1 I want...my gut feeling tells to get 14.5, since I already have 11.5 mod 1, but for some reason I always go back to checking 11.5 mod 2

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Lol, wut?

A - What makes you think there will even be grandfathering on AW2? I don't think that's a safe assumption at all.
    Because history would be supporting my position. There have been several gun bans. All of them allowed grandfathering.

B - That's not how it worked for AW1...If it was lawfully owned and configured as an "AW" on the date of enactment, it was grandfathered. Didn't matter where it came from or who made it.
    No way to prove that. People will not pay preban prices for a home built "preban." Stripped "preban" lowers are not preban under the federal AWB.

You can't take a unbuilt virgin "preban" lower and configure it as a preban gun during the AWB between Sept 14 1994 and Sept 13 2004
    Last edited by scottryan; 12-11-18 at 16:17.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast