• 14.5"

50 53.19%
  • Other

20 21.28%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.5" or 14.5" SR-15? First AR

Feedback Score

11.5" or 14.5" SR-15? First AR

I'm looking to buy an SR-15 upper for my first AR. I'm really torn on deciding between an 11.5" or a 14.5" barrel. My reason for buying an SR-15 is really for the long-term reliability. While I intend on this project not being my last, I do want a rifle that I can build a solid foundation on while being a go to rifle for training, home defense, and if society goes to shits for a bit. Pretty much a go to rifle to carry out of the house. I live in a state that allows SBRs and since I planned on making a 11.5" way later down the road, I intended on SBR'ing my lower receiver anyways. So I'm just deciding on which barrel length I want to begin learning on and to maximize the reliability that KAC is known for.

Some considerations I had were that a 14.5" rifle would be more reliable, less concussive, and can be used at a longer range (even though there's nothing but mountains & trees here). While an 11.5" rifle seems like it would have to be suppressed otherwise the flash and the noise would be too much. Unfortunately, with the ATF wait times and my budget being the way it is, I don't see myself getting a suppressor for at least a year. Also saw something on InRangetv about how going below 14.5" does funny things to guns with DI. However, an 11.5" rifle would be considerably more maneuverable inside buildings and cars, and could be carried for much longer if I ever needed to.

Another option I had is going with a 16" upper but it seems like there would be no benefit other than not having to get an SBR stamp. But it doesn't seem to be ideal since from what I read, it's only a market that was created because of the NFA and not for technical reasons.

I plan on also purchasing a KAC lower as well. Purchasing them separate since a local dealer is giving a pretty significant discount on the uppers and complete rifles seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    My vote is for legal purposes only. No matter what happens in the future, I just see a 14.5 being easier than an 11.5 so that's always my recommendation for a first gun.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yeah, first AR get something non-NFA. You easier / more enjoyable to shoot it while you wait for a F1.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My preferred barrel length is 11.5", but I wouldn't recommend it for a first rifle.

Don't overthink maneuvering around vehicles, SHTF, and miles and miles of walking with a slung carbine unless it's something you already do often.
    Last edited by Five_Point_Five_Six; 12-05-18 at 10:03.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    One thing to consider is if you are going to pin/weld the 14.5. I'm pretty sure that KAC does not do that on their 14.5 guns from the factory. That means either going with the KAC muzzle device and essentially committing to a KAC can in the future, or go out a buy something from Dead Air/Surefire/etc. and have it installed for you.

With the availability of the SBA3 pistol brace, and the fact that you are purchasing the upper and lower separate, you could pull the stock and use the brace on either an unpinned 14.5 or the 11.5 upper until your form 1 came back. Also consider the speed of the e-filed form 1s (I've seen many measured in weeks rather than months), and you could have a stamp back fairly soon, eliminating the need for the pin/weld job as well as making it easier to choose the 11.5 if that is really what you want.

I have a 13.7 upper, and I have an 11.5. Honestly I prefer shooting the longer gun more. It seems to cycle smoother, has less movement of the dot when shooting, and there is more forend to work with. If I could only have one AR, it would be something in the 12.5-14.5" range in 5.56.

Feedback Score
    Welcome to the forum.

I would take the next month or so to search your areas of interest on this forum. I’ll bet you will probably have an entirely different perspective on everything than you may have now.

If it was my money I would skip the KAC. For around the price of that upper you could get both a BCM rifle and pistol lower with a BA3 stock AND both a 11.5” and 16” BCM complete uppers without sacrificing any “long term reliability”.

I think $1900+ could be much better spent than on that KAC upper. Especially as your first rifle. Don’t forget a light, sling, and optic.
    Last edited by OldState; 12-05-18 at 11:17.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would say go with the 14.5. Heck, even consider 16 inch midlength.

No trouble at all maneuvering a 14.5-16 inch in and out of things, easy enough to hump for miles and miles.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    14.5" would serve as a more general purpose rifle, so I say get that for your first.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I would take the next month or so to search your areas of interest on this forum. I’ll bet you will probably have an entirely different perspective on everything than you may have now.

If it was my money I would skip the KAC. For around the price of that upper you could get both a BCM rifle and pistol lower with a BA3 stock AND both a 11.5” and 16” BCM complete uppers without sacrificing any “long term reliability”.

I think $1900+ could be much better spent than on that KAC upper. Especially as your first rifle. Don’t forget a light, sling, and optic.
    I have both length KAC's. While they are one of the best all around values for a total package, IMO, I think OldState is offering some sage advice here. Not necessarily for the cost of the rifle but for the light, sling and optics as well. Plus the training and the rounds. Be sure it's something you're going to use and not just admire.

You can't ever go wrong with a KAC, but you may not appreciate it as much unless you've had some time behind the triggers of other rifles. YMMV

Feedback Score
    14.5 or, IMO, better option is 16”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast