50 53.19%
  • Other

20 21.28%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.5" or 14.5" SR-15? First AR

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocMaynard View Post
    Thanks all! It seems like this thread has taken a life of its own.

Unfortunately, it's too late in buying a prebuilt rifle. I've already ordered myself a KAC SR-15 lower receiver.

That said, I'm not really aware of the federal AWB not allowing rifles "built" to not be grandfathered in. I don't know how you would even be able to tell what was built from upper/lower receivers at home and out of the factory especially if both components are from the same manufacturer. I'm more concerned with a state level AWB here in Washington—last session they introduced it. It had a grandfathering clause and prevented transfers unless it was to someone out of state or to the police for destruction. This year, they plan in introducing a "high-capacity" magazine ban and an AWB. Not sure if they'll have time to do both with our short session but lots of Democrats wanting to run for governor/president wanting to prove themselves. Anyways...

As for optics, I'm considering getting a scalarworks mount with an Aimpoint T2 or something else. Still TBD. Like I said before, planning on a general purpose rifle to train with, defend myself, shtf, and to just shoot the hell out of for as long as I can
    Make sure you check out the on going general purpose optic thread if you haven’t already. I have a T-2 in a Scalarworks mount and it’s stupid light and handy, but I’m becoming a huge believer in LPVOs, unless specific situations require something lighter. You can’t go wrong either way though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    Not quite. I think you should reread the OPs first posts. HE stated that HE was working on a budget. Buying a KAC and not having enough cash left over to buy a sling, optic, ammo, etc is a poor choice.

I’m sure there are plenty people who can afford a KAC but chose to spend the money in other ways. Are you implying the OP will get twice 2.5x the reliability, accuracy, or what ever for the extra cash? Is it worth going without an optic and ammo to do so?

As for AWB2, hopefully SCOTUS will weigh in finally....but that should be another thread.
    I have re-read the OPs posts. No where does he mention working within a budget, in fact its the opposite since he states he has allocated funds for accessories and ammo. If anything it seems the OP is looking for the best out of the box AR.

My advice to the OP is to the buy the BEST quality rifle you can AFFORD and he couldn't do any better than choosing a KAC rifle(maybe a Hodge). If you are worried about AWBs then go with non-NFA items since it adds additional complexity.

In regards to 14.5" vs 16", again pinning a muzzle device will add more hassle if you decide to have your barrel worked on. Typically for a persons 1st AR, they are still figuring out what they want in a rifle and that includes muzzle devices.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 12-12-18 at 01:18.

Feedback Score
    Your first AR? Go 14.5 and stay away from the hassles of NFA/ATF.

When the day comes and you want a can or SBR, then go to trouble/expense of a gun trust.

But, if SBR's are you fancy, why not start with a 10.5 AR pistol?? No NFA/ATF hassles.

Build your own? Get a lower that is NOT classed/serialed by maker as a rifle to begin with. That way you can have the choice of
    a AR pistol or rifle.

You can look around and get a KAC rifle new or used. If you go rifle and go SBR, I highly suggest
    a gun trust prior to going for your stamp and register it in your trust. MUCH easier in the long
    term and less hassles. You can assign trustee's and pass it to your son without more paperwork/money
    involved.
    Last edited by Gen Sherman; 12-12-18 at 00:54.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocMaynard View Post
    Thanks all! It seems like this thread has taken a life of its own.

Unfortunately, it's too late in buying a prebuilt rifle. I've already ordered myself a KAC SR-15 lower receiver.

That said, I'm not really aware of the federal AWB not allowing rifles "built" to not be grandfathered in. I don't know how you would even be able to tell what was built from upper/lower receivers at home and out of the factory especially if both components are from the same manufacturer. I'm more concerned with a state level AWB here in Washington—last session they introduced it. It had a grandfathering clause and prevented transfers unless it was to someone out of state or to the police for destruction. This year, they plan in introducing a "high-capacity" magazine ban and an AWB. Not sure if they'll have time to do both with our short session but lots of Democrats wanting to run for governor/president wanting to prove themselves. Anyways...

As for optics, I'm considering getting a scalarworks mount with an Aimpoint T2 or something else. Still TBD. Like I said before, planning on a general purpose rifle to train with, defend myself, shtf, and to just shoot the hell out of for as long as I can
    The manufacturer assigns serial numbers to the LOWER receiver. If the maker did not
    ship the lower as a rifle, then you have a choice.

My last build was a Colt lower which Colt sold through retailer. It never had a upper when
    it left the factory. So, I bought the lower and it became a AR pistol (in 5.56). Non NFA. But,
    I'm looking for .300 upper now for addition of a can. If I change the stock to a rifle stock,
    it WILL become NFA and it will be added to my gun trust.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen Sherman View Post
    The manufacturer assigns serial numbers to the LOWER receiver. If the maker did not
    ship the lower as a rifle, then you have a choice.

My last build was a Colt lower which Colt sold through retailer. It never had a upper when
    it left the factory. So, I bought the lower and it became a AR pistol (in 5.56). Non NFA. But,
    I'm looking for .300 upper now for addition of a can. If I change the stock to a rifle stock,
    it WILL become NFA and it will be added to my gun trust.
    Keep the pistol lower as a pistol lower. If you want to do an SBR, get a second lower and SBR that. Or, get a Colt 6933.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I made a poor decision when buying my first AR. Through the years my preferences have changed and my builds have also. As a Type 7 FFL I manufacture (according to the ATF, assemble if you ask me off the record) just about every configuration imaginable. My experiences have allowed me to build what a client wants by listening to their needs. I live in a rural area, so most of my clients want to hunt with their AR's and I build a lot of 16"-20" rifles. What I enjoy building is light weight battle carbines with 14.5" barrels. Many here have suggested not going through the SBR/Stamp route. I agree, unless you intend to use a suppressor A LOT. I'm a huge fan of the 14.5", pinned flash hider barrels. When I can put a rig together with that barrel that comes in at @ 5.5 lbs naked, I get real stoked. I've done much tactical training and this combination works real well for what I practice. Most of my clients buy more than one AR. Different calibers and different purposes. To anyone buying their first AR, get what you practically need. Be safe and have fun!
    "THE DEBT COLLECTOR"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    OP,

You need to buy a factory built KAC rifle in 16" barrel length.

There are several posts in this thread full of BS.

A factory built rifle is/would be a grandfathered assault weapon should the assault weapons ban return.

Building a gun from a stripped lower is not a grandfathered AW.

Do not get a pinned flash hider. They are nearly impossible to remove without a great deal of messing around and lower the value of your gun. They lock to into a configuration that cannot be easily changed in the future.

If you have the money to spend, I would just go out and buy some combination of 11.5", 14.5", 16", and 18" KAC LPR and then an 16" or 20" SR-25 and skip all the BS with the other brands. I'd even go take out a loan and buy all of them right now because the democrats are going to return in 2020 and it isn't going to pretty.

The KAC URX4 is the best handguard on the market. It is stiff and slim. Uses no stupid muffler clamp style attachment that can squirm used by most other lesser brands.

You cannot build a KAC quality level rifle for less money.
    This is literally some of the dumbest, worst, most autistic advice I’ve ever seen on this board.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    Not quite. I think you should reread the OPs first posts. HE stated that HE was working on a budget. Buying a KAC and not having enough cash left over to buy a sling, optic, ammo, etc is a poor choice.

I’m sure there are plenty people who can afford a KAC but chose to spend the money in other ways. Are you implying the OP will get twice 2.5x the reliability, accuracy, or what ever for the extra cash? Is it worth going without an optic and ammo to do so?

As for AWB2, hopefully SCOTUS will weigh in finally....but that should be another thread.
    He said somewhere he has money budgeted for accessories. Most of us are working on a budget... in reality though the cost of a rifle and accessories are minute in the long run. When people say they can’t afford nice things it’s not usually that they can’t actually afford something nice, it’s that they don’t want to save another month or two for it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    When people say they can’t afford nice things it’s not usually that they can’t actually afford something nice, it’s that they don’t want to save another month or two for it
    Precisely. The need for immediate satisfaction rather than having a little patience is probably why so many low grade rifles are sitting in people's safe. Another month and a few extra shifts was the difference in me buying my first Colt vs some other cheaper rifle. During that month and extra shifts I wondered if it would truly be worth it for me as a non LEO or mil guy. It was.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I have re-read the OPs posts. No where does he mention working within a budget, in fact its the opposite since he states he has allocated funds for accessories and ammo. If anything it seems the OP is looking for the best out of the box AR.

My advice to the OP is to the buy the BEST quality rifle you can AFFORD and he couldn't do any better than choosing a KAC rifle(maybe a Hodge). If you are worried about AWBs then go with non-NFA items since it adds additional complexity.

In regards to 14.5" vs 16", again pinning a muzzle device will add more hassle if you decide to have your barrel worked on. Typically for a persons 1st AR, they are still figuring out what they want in a rifle and that includes muzzle devices.
    In his very first post he wrote “Unfortunately, with the ATF wait times and my budget being the way it is, I don't see myself getting a suppressor for at least a year. ”

My initial responce to imply he would have that in his budget if he wasn’t set on getting $1900 Gucci upper for his very first AR.
    Last edited by OldState; 12-12-18 at 11:44.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast