• 14.5"

50 53.19%
  • Other

20 21.28%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.5" or 14.5" SR-15? First AR

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Get a 16" BCM light weight mid-length and call it a day. IMHO, it'll be a better all-around choice than either the 14.5 or the 11.5 and no NFA ass-aches to deal with (I have an several 16's and an 11.5, FWIW).

Spent the extra money on a light, sling, quality optic, and ammo then shoot the piss out of it.

Feedback Score
    If I was looking for my first rifle now the Colt CCU would be very attractive.
    https://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...6mm-16in-30rd/

A light weight barrel is also an attractive option. Nothing wrong with KAC but I think that is a purchase better made after you have a solid base gun set up correctly with light, sling, and optic and a bunch of ammo mags. As stated before, that is more of an enthusiasts purchase.....your “second car” in you will.

Do you have a lower already? If not, and you really want an SBR lower, you could get the BCM pistol lower, brace, and a BCM 11.5” upper. Then, if you want, form 1 the lower and shoot while you wait. That option would free up almost $1000 to put toward the other stuff.

With the latest ATF messaging and the release of some of these new braces, I’m starting to think having a pistol along with a SBR lower is a good option for many reasons.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    Thanks all for the advice! I've budgeted in accessories other than a suppressor. I do plan on SBR'ing the lower and with how short Form 1 wait times are, it couldn't hurt. I don't travel outside the state much at all, and never with guns esp since my closest relatives are in CA.

I'll think hard on the KAC upper and possibly reconsider since a lot of folks are telling me training + ammo > gun. But I'm still open to the question of 11.5" vs 14.5". Is it possible to use one lower for both those lengths?

Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    With the latest ATF messaging and the release of some of these new braces, I’m starting to think having a pistol along with a SBR lower is a good option for many reasons.
    Can you elaborate?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocMaynard View Post
    Thanks all for the advice! I've budgeted in accessories other than a suppressor. I do plan on SBR'ing the lower and with how short Form 1 wait times are, it couldn't hurt. I don't travel outside the state much at all, and never with guns esp since my closest relatives are in CA.

I'll think hard on the KAC upper and possibly reconsider since a lot of folks are telling me training + ammo > gun. But I'm still open to the question of 11.5" vs 14.5". Is it possible to use one lower for both those lengths?
    To directly answer this last question: Yes, you can use both uppers on any standard AR15 lower receiver. That’s part of the beauty of AR’s. So, you could get one basic (Colt, BCM) or really nice lower (Radian ADAC, LMT MARS-L, CMT) receiver, then two different length upper receivers.

If I may add, I would encourage purchasing as a pistol first with an SBA3 brace, then see if you ever really want to file as an SBR. I have an SBR that is my “primary,” and it does limit my movement to training classes out of state. I end up dropping my upper onto my wife’s pistol lower for that and it’s annoying.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    To directly answer this last question: Yes, you can use both uppers on any standard AR15 lower receiver. That’s part of the beauty of AR’s. So, you could get one basic (Colt, BCM) or really nice lower (Radian ADAC, LMT MARS-L, CMT) receiver, then two different length upper receivers.

If I may add, I would encourage purchasing as a pistol first with an SBA3 brace, then see if you ever really want to file as an SBR. I have an SBR that is my “primary,” and it does limit my movement to training classes out of state. I end up dropping my upper onto my wife’s pistol lower for that and it’s annoying.
    I went this route, it’s nice to have options.
    Last edited by Biggy; 12-05-18 at 21:52.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocMaynard View Post

Can you elaborate?
    After some very confusing and contradictory messaging the ATF now says it’s ok to “occasionally” shoulder a brace. I would suggest reading up on that and pay attention to the date on the content.

And yes uppers are interchangeable. Just don’t put an unpinned 14.5” or 11.5” on a non SBR ....only a pistol lower.
    Last edited by OldState; 12-05-18 at 22:57.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I always recommend a non-NFA item for your 1st AR. Of the two choices I would say 14.5", assuming that's pinned and welded of course. However, I'm not a fan of pinned muzzle devices and for that reason I say go 16".
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    After some very confusing and contradictory messaging the ATF now says it’s ok to “occasionally” shoulder a brace. I would suggest reading up on that and pay attention to the date on the content.

And yes uppers are interchangeable. Just don’t put an unpinned 14.5” or 11.5” on a non SBR or pistol lower.
    What’s the issue with using a 14.5” or 11.5” on a pistol lower?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
    What’s the issue with using a 14.5” or 11.5” on a pistol lower?
    Should have said “only”

Feedback Score
    I would suggest 16" barrel. I just can't see saving 1&1/2 in as worth getting entangled with the NFA.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast