• 14.5"

50 53.19%
  • Other

20 21.28%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.5" or 14.5" SR-15? First AR

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah I have to say, ever since the braces started coming out, I see no reason to ever SBR. I would hope the .gov never changes their mind on them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Yeah I have to say, ever since the braces started coming out, I see no reason to ever SBR. I would hope the .gov never changes their mind on them.
    As good as the SBA3 brace is, I still like the Slimline stock better. After owning pistols and SBRs, I find good reasons for both.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mlberry View Post
    I would suggest 16" barrel. I just can't see saving 1&1/2 in as worth getting entangled with the NFA.
    Thanks everyone for the info and advice!

But mlberry and & co, what makes the NFA so crazy now that we have eForms for Form 1? Don't get me wrong, if there was a bill to repeal it, I support it in a heartbeat. But other than the restrictions on interstate travel, it seems very similar to Form 4473 other than the $200 tax stamp and fingerprints. Is there something else I'm missing?

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocMaynard View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info and advice!

But mlberry and & co, what makes the NFA so crazy now that we have eForms for Form 1? Don't get me wrong, if there was a bill to repeal it, I support it in a heartbeat. But other than the restrictions on interstate travel, it seems very similar to Form 4473 other than the $200 tax stamp and fingerprints. Is there something else I'm missing?
    The big one: no one else who is not on your trust can touch it without you around. Not your wife, best friend, dog, or aliens. In many states you can loan your firearms to family and friends. Not NFA items.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    The big one: no one else who is not on your trust can touch it without you around. Not your wife, best friend, dog, or aliens. In many states you can loan your firearms to family and friends. Not NFA items.
    Yes that is true. I live in Seattle, WA, it's a beautiful state with a lot of gun owners. The city is nice but it's pretty anti-gun. I think those laws already exist in WA where if somebody commits a crime or does something ridiculous with my firearm, I am already liable. If somebody wants to borrow the gun without me around, I have to go to an FFL and fill out a transfer form. It's quite ridiculous but I can't ever see myself leaving this beautiful state.

I do plan on making an SBR some day and I have a trust already since I'm a little paranoid about an AWB happening in WA (since under most proposed AWB legislation, guns can't be transferred even if they are grandfathered in).

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I just received my BCM 14.5” midlebgth ELW upper yesterday, and I must say I am very pleased with the way it feels and balances compared to my 16” carbines.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Hi, I'm Jack, and I am the Director of Military and Government Sales at KAC.
    You are making a uniquely concise choice by bypassing all of the chafe and going straight to two of the single finest professional use offerings on the market. It takes most of us half a dozen AR platforms before realizing that it's more efficient and effective to get something from a manufacturer that's fully supported and requires only minor preference changes rather than trying to self-manufacture. You're hitting the market at a golden age of AR manufacturers. You almost have to go out of your way to find an unacceptable AR today, and in the cost range of SR-15s, there are a few very strong contenders, such as Hodge Defense, LMT, Radian, and LaRue spring immediately to mind. Each of those hold their own individual strengths, but none can beat a KAC head to head in overall performance if considering accuracy, durability, reliability, shootability, suppressor integration, bilateral controls, trigger, and included back-up sights. About the only thing that we anticipate the everyone will change out is the A2 pistol grip. The included LMT SOPMOD stock is still pretty popular, and if you don't like it you will be able to easily sell it or trade it for your preferred stock. The URX4 M-LOK handguard is one of the most rigid and impact-shift resistant yet lightweight options on the market, and it is as close to a monolithic upper as you can get, without the potential loss of an entire upper receiver unit if the handguard is damaged. The barrel and bolt will be fully serviceable for around 20,000 rounds if you aren't in the habit of abusive full-auto fire.

There is good advice here to budget not only for the base rifle, but for optics, mounts, magazines, support equipment, training, and ammunition as well.

When it comes to choosing between the two, 11.5 or 14.5, I would have to say that the 14.5 is my personal choice for a "do everything" 5.56 carbine. The 11.5 is cool and maneuverable, but I tend to reach for my 14.5 with a 1-6x optic for everything from hog hunting to remote area trekking, and from run-n-gun 2-gun competitions to SPR matches if I'm shooting 5.56.

The 11.5 really stands out for use inside structures (especially with a suppressor) or in other confined spaces, or where distances are primarily inside 200 meters. I've still used mine for both speed shooting type matches and long-range precision matches just to put them to the test, but the shorter handguard reduces some capability with regard to shooting from unconventional support positions and the lower muzzle velocity makes trajectory compensation and wind effect more technically challenging.

11.5, 14.5, or a rifle from someone else, it all comes down to what you want to do and what you're willing to invest.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlberry View Post
    I would suggest 16" barrel. I just can't see saving 1&1/2 in as worth getting entangled with the NFA.
    This is always my first thought when a 14-1/2" barrel is discussed. I don't get it, but it seems that many who are wiser than I am see good reason to choose it.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Regarding the options for something cheaper to better fit optics and etc into your budget: I wouldn't do it honestly. If you have the budget to support a KAC from the get go, do it, and buy a budget red dot for another $115 or so until you can rejuvenate that account enough for a better optic. I'm a huge BCM fanboy, and am currently pretty pleased with my Noveske and Geissele rifle, but I do wish I had just gone KAC from the start, several years ago. I'm still very tempted to ditch at least two of my current uppers for a KAC when I get back to VA. As for your actual question and regarding my initial response - I forgot that KAC doesn't P/W their 14.5s so that would change my vote to other for a 16", unless you're willing to pay extra and get stuck with a pinned MD.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Regarding the options for something cheaper to better fit optics and etc into your budget: I wouldn't do it honestly. If you have the budget to support a KAC from the get go, do it, and buy a budget red dot for another $115 or so until you can rejuvenate that account enough for a better optic. I'm a huge BCM fanboy, and am currently pretty pleased with my Noveske and Geissele rifle, but I do wish I had just gone KAC from the start, several years ago. I'm still very tempted to ditch at least two of my current uppers for a KAC when I get back to VA. As for your actual question and regarding my initial response - I forgot that KAC doesn't P/W their 14.5s so that would change my vote to other for a 16", unless you're willing to pay extra and get stuck with a pinned MD.
    Just so the OP understands that there are “cheaper” options that go not sacrifice quality. You don’t need a Mercedes G Wagon AMG to get to work in the snow if it means you have to call our sick because you don’t have gas money. Especially when there are equally reliable options at 1/3 the cost. That is of course unless you have a very large budget....which he doesn’t seem to have.

Some of the OPs questions are very similar to questions I asked when I was very new to serious “fighting” rifles. After my first few posts I realized I didn’t know what I didn’t know and decided to slow down, research, and reassess. I ended up going in a slightly different direction and am very happy in hindsight I did.

To the OP, you are on the right forum to get the best advise. KACs Dir of Mil and Gov sales just responded to your thread! There are a ton of very knowledgeable people here that forgot more about ARs this morning than I have ever known.

Take your time and research before you spend your cash. You won’t regret it.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast