50 53.19%
  • Other

20 21.28%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.5" or 14.5" SR-15? First AR

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    Just so the OP understands that there are “cheaper” options that go not sacrifice quality. You don’t need a Mercedes G Wagon AMG to get to work in the snow if it means you have to call our sick because you don’t have gas money. Especially when there are equally reliable options at 1/3 the cost.
    Very true, and when I had problems with my Noveske upper in the last two years, I wondered why I ever spent money like that when my BCMs have done everything I’ve ever wanted. But, at least for me, I’m willing to bet that going straight KAC and nothing else would’ve ended up with a lot less wasted money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Again, just speaking for myself, a saving of 1 & 1/2 in of barrel length is not worth $200, fingerprints, registration and all the other NFA hoops. If you want to do it fine, but to me it seems like flirting with a felony. It's way too easy to put that SBR on the wrong receiver.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlberry View Post
    Again, just speaking for myself, a saving of 1 & 1/2 in of barrel length is not worth $200, fingerprints, registration and all the other NFA hoops. If you want to do it fine, but to me it seems like flirting with a felony. It's way too easy to put that SBR on the wrong receiver.
    Or just pin and weld a muzzle device and not worry about any of that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As much as I love me some KAC... Same money you can get several options and a pile of ammo to get a feel for what you really like.
    For me, after dozens of builds and buys,if I could only keep 2(5.56 anyway),
    ....it would be (1)an 11.5” SBR, and (2)18” SPR.
    Once you go KAC you will never go back, so be careful not to spoil yourself with your fist taste. It’ll get real spensive down the road.

Feedback Score
    Thank you everyone for the advice and time! It's incredible to get so much advice from folks you don't even know. More so, I'm incredibly surprised to get a reply back from someone at KAC— esp the director of military and govt sales.

I'll take more time to research other brands but I'm pretty set on getting a 14.5" or a 16" barrel at this point. Leaning more towards 14.5" with a stamped lower. Nevertheless, I'll continue to do more research and look around the forum! I have to say though, there is some sense of urgency in getting the best since my state (WA) w/ a Democrat majority is strongly considering an AWB come January/Feb.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I hear ya. I'm in WA state as well, sure don't like the way the idiocracy is headed here. I also am aquiring everything I can. Lots of good deals going on locally.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Washingtonian here also... I was at a Pawn Shop doing a transfer the other day, and someone evidently was feeling the panic if 1639 and had ordered 300 lower receivers online and had them shipped there. He had to make an appointment for his transfers..$21 for the 1st and $5ea for the other 299. $1500 just in transfer fees!

Feedback Score
    If you are planning on going SBR in the future anyway, the worrying about not getting involved with the ATF is a moot point... it's gonna happen. That said... Start with the pistol lower.

I did it backwards, and form 1ed a bare receiver, then sat on my hands waiting for the stamp...

Even if you don't travel to other states, some laws look at pistols differently than rifles (SBR). It was for this reason, and the traveling that I decided to add a pistol lower to my SBR. Mine is 11.3", but I have the SBR lower, and the pistol lower. It's also in .300 Blackout, as only my 16" is a 5.56. I do plan on an 11.5" 5.56 upper one day as well. I can go anywhere now and handgun laws apply. With two lowers, you could add a second 14.5" or 16" upper (or 11.5" if you get the 14.5 first) and just use whatever one suits your needs at the time.

In the meanwhile, If you start with the pistol lower first, you shoot, train, have fun, while you wait. With the SBA3 brace, there is little in lost functionality.

Same 11.3" upper on both SBR, and pistol lowers.

Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 12-09-18 at 00:28.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mygrainman View Post
    Washingtonian here also... I was at a Pawn Shop doing a transfer the other day, and someone evidently was feeling the panic if 1639 and had ordered 300 lower receivers online and had them shipped there. He had to make an appointment for his transfers..$21 for the 1st and $5ea for the other 299. $1500 just in transfer fees!

I’m just interested in what brand he bought.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mygrainman View Post
    And, $30,000 for the lowers if $100 each. Wow!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast