Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Not a lot of enthusiasm for guns as far as I can tell

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gödel View Post
    That's the thing - the NRA's job isn't necessarily to look for support - it is to promote the totality of the gun interest in the US. In 1994 the NRA was responsible for putting the 10 year expiration on the Crime Bill. Do you think Democrats would even talk to the NRA today?

Guns will remain healthy in the US if people who vote on either side have them, not just the members of one shrinking party. Despite talking about gun control, there have been no serious moves by Democrats in Congress or White House to create new legislation since 1994 - because it isn't necessary and is another thing to fail at. And some of them are probably aware of the number of additional guns sold and markets opened in reaction to gun control - like how we now CC most everywhere and AR15s are the fastest selling gun. Despite the conspiracy news stream, Democrats largely want a productive, safe country to live in - causing more people to buy ARs and baby Glocks doesn't make them feel like they're doing their jobs.
    I agree that gun ownership in the US is likely to be less regulated if it is a wide-spread interest not perceived to be limited to one party or political orientation. It's unfortunate guns have become a point of political tension, though it didn't happen overnight, and the current political division makes that worse (to your point about it being difficult for the NRA to play a role in lessening the impact of potential gun control bills). One method for combating this would be to introduce as many different types of people as possible to guns and their uses in sport, hunting, recreation, and self defense.

Still, I don't understand the suggestion the DNC isn't really interested in pushing for more gun control, or that they haven't tried to do so in any meaningful way since 1994. This assertion ignores everything proposed and brought to a vote by Dems in the Senate and House in 2013, after Sandy Hook, (and everything passed at a state level since) suggesting it wasn't a sincere effort by the Democratic Party. Those federal bills didn't pass, but it wasn't for lack of trying by those behind them. That in the end they were unable to secure a straight party line vote is more of a testament to the level of vocal, bipartisan gun owners at the time, and political clout of the NRA (including with Democrats in some regions) than evidence that the DNC wasn't really serious.

If you're simply stating they haven't been able to pass anything, irrespective of any effort to do so, I suppose that is mostly true at the federal level.

While I agree some anti-gun legislators likely understand every new push for gun control will sell more guns, I doubt it makes much of a difference for many. After Sandy Hook, gun control seems to have become a major source of campaign funds for Democratic candidates, mostly via Bloomberg funded organizations. It's also now an official part of the DNC platform, though practically this is less important than the funding issue. It seems the only reason many candidates feel comfortable with this is the growing perception (however false it may be in some cases) that liberals and progressives just don't own guns, or at least don't care about gun rights to the same degree as their opponent's constituents.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Honestly shooting is what you make it.

Taking chicks to the range has paid off in more ways than one. All I'mma say is that a 1911 with a .22 kit equals good times. It makes a chick feel in control while allowing her to be in that student/subordinate role, and gives her that rush.

Plus it's who you hang out with. Like most folks don't think I have a gun or even care about them.

And I don't really. Like as I get middle aged, I just don't care anymore. I think guns are mainstream enough that people just don't think enough of it to bring it up.

Like...Where I live, even people who "don't have guns" have a pistol of some kind and a shotgun but "they don't count".

Like if you are some Burt Gummer dude then people will think you are weird but if you are just a regular guy with a couple ARs and a Glock then you aren't a blip on any radar.
    ^^^ Truth!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789