Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Not a lot of enthusiasm for guns as far as I can tell

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I read through these comments and see many posters who don't visit gun ranges. I don't blame them. But, they are losing their perspective on this issue. I occasionally shoot at a multi-million dollar facility (Liberty Firearms Institute) with a well controlled indoor range and large pro shop. I see shoppers and shooters of all ages, at all times. When I stroll by the gun counter at Scheels or Cabelas, it's generally swarmed by young men.

I started shooting because someone helped get me started. I started hunting because someone showed me the way. I'm 29, so it was the generation that most of you belonged to that helped me. Guns and hunting are largely generational. How many young men are you taking hunting or shooting? They don't have to be family, but they will look at you as a father figure for life if you help get them started on this journey.

The more you ostracize millennials for being millennials, the less you give them a chance to break free from that mold.

My dad owned two guns that stayed locked up and never got shot. He died in an accident when I was 13, and I had never shot a gun. My mom was left to raise me, and she and her new husband were rabidly anti-gun (years later, I stopped by her house in uniform as a Police Officer and was asked to leave my gun in the car or leave the house). My grandpa took me under his wing, taught me gun safety over a weekend by having me carry an unloaded rifle around the house for a weekend and critiquing my safety habits. He started taking me shooting, and secretly gave a 30-06. I bought an 870 and a Saiga AK, joined the Marine Corps, and from there the gun sickness was set in.

Having never been hunting, I started talking to some of the cops I worked with after leaving the Corps about how to get started. I got my hunter safety at 26 with a class packed full of 8 year olds, bought a Citori and SBE2, and accompanied those guys on many upland and waterfowl trips.

Had it not been for my grandpa, who knows if I would even own a gun today. I can tell you I would have never been able to get into hunting on my own, and I am so thankful for those that have shown me the way. Now, I am always eager to find people, of any age, that I can convert to this lifestyle. Whether that is showing them M4C, helping them buy their first gun, teaching them to shoot, or taking them hunting. Most young men you meet, liberal or conservative, would probably take you up on the opportunity to shoot an SBR or suppressor....

This generation is eager and willing. Show them the way. Once the next gun scare happens, they will buy out the gun stores just like we all did during the last gun scares.
    Dude, your Grandpa was a boss!

And I agree about the millennial bashing, it drives me crazy. Every time I hear that, I ask the person "Excuse me, please tell who has been volunteering and dying in our country's wars for the past 17 years?"

....crickets chirping......

Almost all of my minions at work are millennials. They bust their ass, and are very loyal to me. All they ever asked for is a chance.

One of them did an incredible job for me this year. He's getting a very nice bonus, and a NIB Gen5 G19, with ammo and lessons from me.

So yeah, he's a millennial....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Dude, your Grandpa was a boss!

And I agree about the millennial bashing, it drives me crazy. Every time I hear that, I ask the person "Excuse me, please tell who has been volunteering and dying in our country's wars for the past 17 years?"

....crickets chirping......

Almost all of my minions at work are millennials. They bust their ass, and are very loyal to me. All they ever asked for is a chance.

One of them did an incredible job for me this year. He's getting a very nice bonus, and a NIB Gen5 G19, with ammo and lessons from me.

So yeah, he's a millennial....
    Most people are confusing millennials with genZ. They think Millennials are college kids. Late teens to early 20s.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Most people are confusing millennials with genZ. They think Millennials are college kids. Late teens to early 20s.
    My minions vary in age from just turned 25 to 37 years old. Almost all of them are half my age or younger.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    My minions vary in age from just turned 25 to 37 years old. Almost all of them are half my age or younger.
    Yep and most are millennials. It's not people who were born around the new millennium but those who hit the workforce. The typical birth years are 80-94 although some say 79-94, others 82-96. I'm 39 and depending on which dates you believe I fall at the end of genX or the beginning of Gen Millennials

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "Phukin' kids these days" has been a complaint throughout history.

The millennials I raised are fine adults and good contributors to society. I know dozens more just like them. There are shitbags in every generation.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    "Phukin' kids these days" has been a complaint throughout history.

The millennials I raised are fine adults and good contributors to society. I know dozens more just like them. There are shitbags in every generation.
    Very good point. I see a decent amount of interest in guns from younger peeps, but it may be the company my boys keep. Even so, at the range I see kids interest. Lets just all keep our feet on the pedal and drive the agenda.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I'm 31, and I've had an avid interest in all things guns since a very young age. Brace yourselves. I'm going back a couple generations to see where the foundation was laid.

My dad's dad passed away when my dad was around 19 or 20 from ALS. He was in the Korean War, but outside of that, I don't hear many stories of him hunting, fishing, or shooting. However, after he passed, my dad's neighbor, who was 15-20 years older than dad took him under his wing. They hunted, fished, and camped together. I've heard countless stories of their exploits at the lake or the deer camp. To the best of my knowledge, this is where Dad's interests in hunting and guns was fostered.

Fast forward to my childhood. Dad didn't really hunt much anymore, but he always talked about it, and that always piqued my interest (I found out later it's not my cup of tea). So, at 7 he gave me my first BB gun since I had to miss out on a scout trip where they were going to learn to shoot. Instead of a couple days of bb gun shooting, I was getting my own bb gun to shoot whenever I wanted to. Imagine my joy! We lived on 16 acres of woods, which bordered my uncle's 9 acres, so I basically had free reign to explore, and that bb gun went with me everywhere. When I was 10, Santa brought me my first "real gun," a Remington 597 .22.

We also had many friends that hunted and shot. One such family had about 100 acres up in the mountains bordering a state forest where we would regularly camp and shoot. As I grew up I frequently took new friends up there to shoot rifle targets and shoot skeet. As I've grown, my interests have gradually shifted from target shooting and hunting to self defense. I still try to introduce and foster an interest in shooting with my friends. I know of several off hand that I've hooked and have purchased numerous firearms since. Most aren't as gung ho as me, but a couple really get it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Millenials just need to get the eff over it. So youre the generational whipping boys(girls.....etc?) Big deal, I grew up listening to all kinds of shit about how worthless "Gen X" was, many a news print article deidicated to examining thos "problems". They even tried to christen a bunch of us "Gen why" to further illustrate our supposed worthlessness. So pick your chin up, youll be bashing the next cleverly named generation in no time at all.

And the whole "we fought terrorism" is a red herring. Whats the service rate in this country 2-3%.... maybe 5 to be generous. So what about the other 95% +... just saying, its all cyclical. The biggest definer to me of millenials... is the bitching and whinning about being called millenials. Just be happy your TVs always had remotes, and Ill be glad I didnt grow up with social media

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sgtrock82; 12-12-18 at 11:38.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrock82 View Post
    Millenials just need to get the eff over it. So youre the generational whipping boys(girls.....etc?) Big deal, I grew up listening to all kinds of shit about how worthless "Gen X" was, many a news print article deidicated to examining thos "problems". They even tried to christen a bunch of us "Gen why" to further illustrate our supposed worthlessness. So pick your chin up, youll be bashing the next cleverly named generation in no time at all.

And the whole "we fought terrorism" is a red herring. Whats the service rate in this country 2-3%.... maybe 5 to be generous. So what about the other 95% +... just saying, its all cyclical. The biggest definer to me of millenials... is the bitching and whinning about being called millenials. Just be happy your TVs always had remotes, and Ill be glad I didnt grow up with social media

That's productive.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtrock82 View Post

Attachment 54990
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast