Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun insurance......opinions?

Feedback Score

Gun insurance......opinions?

I have been using Lockton purchased above and beyond my NRA policy. I started doing some research and came across Collectibles Insurance. Talked to them and they not only insure the firearms but scopes, ammo, and knives (if you're into costly knives). Covers theft, natural disasters, floods (certain "zones" excepted). No serial numbers have to be submitted. $22K of insurance was like $171 per year. Lockton is like $185 per year for roughly $14K coverage; add in the automatic NRA $5K for both my wife and together and it's like $19K in coverage. Doesn't cover everything Collectibles does though, as well as being more expensive.

What have you guys used? What are any experiences with recovery (reimbursement) after theft?

One final thought: no matter what kind of insurance you may have, if a new grandfatherless AWB passes you couldn't claim jack shit. I'm sure many insurance companies would breathe a big sigh of relief in that regard.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I went “good gunsafes”.
    Insurance costs would pay for what I wanted in two years.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    And bolt those bad boys down. Which I still need to do with one of mine.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have Lockton and have never had any claims. May need to check on your other find.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    And bolt those bad boys down. Which I still need to do with one of mine.

PB
    Yep.

Lag em to concrete floor and wall, both.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I went “good gunsafes”.
    Insurance costs would pay for what I wanted in two years.
    Unless your gunsafe uses ceramic or similar insulation it may not protect your firearms from a house fire. Safes that use sheet rock insulation give the purchaser a false sense of fire protection.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    Unless your gunsafe uses ceramic or similar insulation it may not protect your firearms from a house fire. Safes that use sheet rock insulation give the purchaser a false sense of fire protection.
    Real firesafes don't use ceramic or sheetrock. The use a water bearing matrix, normally concrete based. Turning the water in the matrix to steam uses a great deal of thermal energy and keeps the temperature in the safe lower.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    True that. From the recent camp fire, a number of safes (well known brands) were found to have the contents destroyed.

Feedback Score
    I have RSCs, in non-combustible areas, and guns covered with home-owners insurance.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the collect insure but haven't had to make a claim.

And to be fair you do have to do line items on guns worth over 25k. So I have the extra riders there for my m16a2 and my hk fleming sear.

The few times I've had to contact them to make changes or with questions they have been good to work with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast