Thread: Not a lot of enthusiasm for guns as far as I can tell

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Not a lot of enthusiasm for guns as far as I can tell

I saw this comment in a post and thought some discussion would be good:

Quote Originally Posted by glockdude215 View Post
    I work with a lot of people that are 10-12 years younger than me (38) and you're right theres not a lot of enthusiasm for guns as far as I can tell.
    Here are some thoughts and comments on the issue for a guy that is in his 60's:

I think we are 20 to 30 years past the time when most parents were able to take their kids shooting without a lot of hassle. I had my first BB gun when I was 10 or so, I lived in a small town, so it was not a big deal to walk a couple blocks to 'the country' and shoot. My first recollection of shooting a 'real' firearm was with my dad along a creek shooting his (now mine) Marlin 39 .22 lever action at cans set up along the bank. Likewise, my first experience with a shotgun along a creek, first shooting at clay pigeons along the bank, and ultimately with a hand thrower. In today's world that doesn't happen. Of course, I'm looking at this from my perspective - most kids in larger communities didn't do these things, even back in that era.

My step-dad and my step-brothers have a tradition of family deer and pheasant hunting that carries on to this day. It is getting harder, though. This year the farmer who has let them hunt his land for the last decade leased the land out to an outfitter. If one of the step-nephews didn't own some land they would have been reduced to either CRP walk-in areas or paying someone to 'guide' them.

I don't think that run of the mill folks have much of an opportunity to become hunters unless it becomes a primary avocation.

In terms of general gun ownership and usage, we need to look beyond our group of people. Despite the intent of the 2A, most folks don't feel the need to possess firearms to protect themselves from the government or invasion. The interest areas as I see them are self-defense and recreational (hunting, shooting sports). We do ourselves a disservice when we dismiss or denigrate hunters as fudd, as bad as it is, they are the majority.

As a whole we do a terrible job of getting folks to become interested in shooting, and therefore, gun ownership.

How can we change that?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mods - I intended this for GD. Sorry!
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think that's an important observation, and certainly suggestive of the future of the 2nd Amendment, or at least its current interpretation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I think that's an important observation, and certainly suggestive of the future of the 2nd Amendment, or at least its current interpretation.
    While I don't disagree, the Constitution was never meant to be a popularity contest. Majority doesn't make it right (at least unless a large enough majority to amend the Constitution, which is an intentionally high standard).
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    While I don't disagree, the Constitution was never meant to be a popularity contest. Majority doesn't make it right (at least unless a large enough majority to amend the Constitution, which is an intentionally high standard).
    Correct, which is why I disagree with putting laws on ballots to be voted on by the masses. That is the cry of the modern Leftists - "But the majority voted for....." .
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Both of my sons have shot and killed a Elk. One son took to firearms big time. Other not so much. I’m happy to be 50%. I’ve taken so many of their friends I can’t count. Bird hunting and target. This is what we must do to preserve. I also talk to them about it, so media does not.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    The Constitution was meant to be whatever a majority of Supreme Court Justices interpret it to be, or whatever "we the people" vote it to be. Second Amendment appears to be safe....for now. The trend, however, does not suggest a rosy future.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Gun ownership per household has remained virtually unchanged since 1972. That is pretty much my entire lifetime. I can remember going to the range in the late 70's with my dad and never waiting for a bench to shoot at. That same range, today, even though it has doubled in size and the population has doubled in size, there is now often a waiting line to get a bench on busy days.

There is plenty of enthusiasm for shooting across all age groups at the range I help run. We don't keep stats on age groups other than youth members, adult members, and senior (60+) members. Adults make up 50% of the shooters. Youth and Seniors are about even at 25%. We offer free shooting for anyone 17 our younger, so we attract a lot of parents bringing their kids vs. other ranges in Alaska.

I realize Alaska is a small part of America, but we are doing pretty good up here.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I think there are a lot of younger folks that enjoy firearms, but are pretty discreet about it.

Last weekend, I took two of my nephews to a defensive shotgun class, taught by a pair of excellent instructors. I paid the class fees, bought ammo, set up a pair of 870's for them, and was their own personal AI.

They loved it. Neither one can wait for the next range trip. Another pistol class is next, then a medical class from either Dark Angel Medical or Lone Star Medics. Then a carbine class, and probably ECQC.

BUT - both of them are very discreet about guns. No mentions on social media, no bragging to friends, etc. They are considering a BJJ class as well.

So yeah, there are plenty of low profile young people out there who enjoy guns. We do need more of them, of course.

Feedback Score
    Just because someone hunts doesn't make them them a fudd even if the only gun they own is a 30-30 or whatever

What makes someone a fudd isnt not wanting say an AR 15 its thinking that YOU shouldn't want one either and you dont need one

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast