Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Not a lot of enthusiasm for guns as far as I can tell

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-18-18 at 16:34.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I'm a millennial. All the people I know from my generation (and younger) have guns. Some of them are quite adamant about their guns. Some of them like hunting. Most of them own (and shoot on a semi-regular basis) an AR. All have at least a handgun or an AR (most under 21 just have the AR).

Most of the people I know who don't own guns are Boomers or Gen X. And except for my father and one of my uncles, I can't think of any of them who are particularly excited by guns.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 12-06-18 at 21:04.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-18-18 at 16:34.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    While I don't disagree, the Constitution was never meant to be a popularity contest. Majority doesn't make it right (at least unless a large enough majority to amend the Constitution, which is an intentionally high standard).
    Correct, which is why I disagree with putting laws on ballots to be voted on by the masses. That is the cry of the modern Leftists - "But the majority voted for....." .
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Both of my sons have shot and killed a Elk. One son took to firearms big time. Other not so much. I’m happy to be 50%. I’ve taken so many of their friends I can’t count. Bird hunting and target. This is what we must do to preserve. I also talk to them about it, so media does not.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    I have to be honest, I figured you to be much older.
    Thanks?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Both of my sons have shot and killed a Elk. One son took to firearms big time. Other not so much. I’m happy to be 50%. I’ve taken so many of their friends I can’t count. Bird hunting and target. This is what we must do to preserve. I also talk to them about it, so media does not.

PB
    My dad bought me a 10/22 with a Eagle smoke 30rd magazine, however I can assure you he never had the toys you have.....your sons or at least the one who really likes firearms hopefully realizes how lucky he is then to have you as an old man Same goes for Mark's kid IIrc...he posted a pic of him, and his son shooting together.

You a big Elk hunter? My dad never got to kill one, but he went on a couple trips in his 30s...and he talks about those trips with a smile that few other stories get. I've thought about trying to find a place to take him, but some of the places I know are tough getting into and out of. He recently turned 70.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 12-06-18 at 21:12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trvsAR View Post
    One thing that actually deserves alot of credit for turning on peolpe my age to guns is the surge of popularity of video games like call of duty

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    This. Millennial as well, 30 years old. Counter strike got me “into guns”. My father was not a gun owner or hunter for personal reasons (not political or ethical, wanted us to have “outdoorsman” experience though he could not do it).
    We went on an organized camping trip where I shot a 22 for the first time (10 years old?)and saved the casings for years.
    He had my uncle (avid firearms enthusiast and hunter) really introduce me to shooting when I was 14 with safety being HUGE.

22 on reactive targets hooked me.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 12-06-18 at 21:21.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I live in Kansas (and am in my 60's too) 26- generally thought to be a pro-gun, rednecky state.
    I suppose that like the rest of the country, our larger city's are the breeding grounds for the libtards, academics and left wing nut jobs.

Now this was in Greenwood County Kansas, it doesn't get much more conservative/rednecky than here.

Small world, Matt Samuels was a good friend, and I've known Heath quite awhile.

The attitude you describe is certainly true. Hell, I see it within our gun club; Bullseye shooters feel superior to the Antique Military competitors, IHMSA shooters feel supior to the .22 Benchrest crowd, everyone feels they are more "legit" than the "combat" shooters (USPSA).

The gun club I'm with suffers from folks not wanting to get involved. I think the problem is that it's run by a clique of folks who pretty much just pass the offices around. We don't use social media effectively, website terribly outdated, and require nothing of members - not even a yearly safety meeting - and folks wonder why things are getting stagnant. As long as we are going to be happy with 6 to 9 folks participating in events, we aren't going to accomplish anything. Unfortunately no one asks the big question - how do we attract more shooters.

As an individual I encourage new shooters and cross discipline participation/competition. I seem to be the "go to" guy with people I my wife and I know for introduction to shooting and individual instruction.
    I think that one of the things we can do is make our events more family friendly. If we did things like offer classes on firearms safety, firearms safety in the home, firearms care and cleaning, pistol, rifle and shotgun marksmanship in a low key, non-threatening environment we could probably accomplish a lot.

There are a lot of fun rim-fire programs out there, they are a good way to get entry level shooters into the sport - but we need to advertise to those in our communities who have no connection to the shooting sports.

Hard to get accomplished when club leadership doesn't share the vision.

JMO
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Out of 5 or so younger guys at work I believe 2 definitely own firearms and the other 3 I just don't know. One guy is 22 and when he turned 21 he had me help him buy "good" guns! He's got a bunch now. hKs, AKs, ARs, Glocks, SW. Another guy has a Shield 40 but never shoots it and doesn't carry. Just keeps it in his desk.

As an immigrant kid to parents who were never into guns I couldn't wait to turn 18 to buy a rifle. My parents were never against it, they just never understood why someone needs so many. And at this point even my dad has 2

I think there's a lot of owners, just not a lot of shooters. In my family my dad and two uncles own guns. In the last 20 years each one of them has been to the range between 1 to 3 times. They don't shoot and don't participate in anything firearms related
    Last edited by Arik; 12-06-18 at 21:29.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast