Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on my first AR build

Feedback Score

Looking for advice on my first AR build

I have a completed upper receiver with bcg (just the receiver no barrel, gas tube, etc), just bought an Aero Precision lower and its parts kit the other week. I am looking for advice to build a 0-300 yrd rifle.
    I am trying to keep the total costs around $1k +/-$100 (excluding optic which I would like to get a value RDS). Suggestions are appreciated.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is a hugely open ended topic that you could easily solve by a bit of searching and reading around here.

Everybody is going to come along with their favorite barrel, BCG, stock, etc.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    If this is your first AR build, makes me believe you already have an AR? If so, just build an upper and use the lower you already have. $1000 can get you a great upper and you can technically have 2 setups using 1 lower.

Feedback Score
    I do have an AR. I am considering getting DD parts but am looking for alternatives due to the cost BCMs prices seem a bit steep as well.

I am looking to have a 16" barrel (1/7 twist) chrome-lined, cold-hammer forged, with M4 feed ramps and a mid-length gas system or would another length for a gas piston be more reliable?

What are the features I should look for in the buffer tube and buffer assembly?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Buffer/tube/spring: A5.
    Barrel: DD 16" Lightweight Mid-length. $275.00 in stock @ Brownells.

And drop the idea of an external piston. AR's are by their very nature of design a very efficient self regulating internal piston. K.I.S.S.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattler5 View Post
    I do have an AR. I am considering getting DD parts but am looking for alternatives due to the cost BCMs prices seem a bit steep as well.

I am looking to have a 16" barrel (1/7 twist) chrome-lined, cold-hammer forged, with M4 feed ramps and a mid-length gas system or would another length for a gas piston be more reliable?

What are the features I should look for in the buffer tube and buffer assembly?
    0-300 is pretty standard for most available uppers on the market, including both low end and high end.

If you wanting a run and gun set up just go to brownells and pick out a standard 16" barrel, a quality 15" rail like Centurion CMR, KAC URX 4 MLOK, KAC URX 3.1 or Geissele SMR and a flash hider to your liking. HRV is the coupon code for $30 off of $300. So you might want to break your purchase into 2 purchases to make the most of the discount. For $1000 +/- $100 you can have a complete upper with flip up sights, rail panels, Surefire M600 Scout weapon light and a vertical foregrip.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphCross View Post
    Buffer/tube/spring: A5.
    Barrel: DD 16" Lightweight Mid-length. $275.00 in stock @ Brownells.

And drop the idea of an external piston. AR's are by their very nature of design a very efficient self regulating internal piston. K.I.S.S.
    This is a good barrel, so are BCM’s standard ELW barrels that will save a little money and will still be high quality though not BFH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Definitely getting a mag-pul stock.

Any advice on the buffer and buffer spring?

Also I did had an issue with installing the forward assist. The nub that is supposed to push the bolt forward does not always come forward at the right angle, can this damage the bolt somehow?

Definitely going with a DD barrel, gas block, gas tube and probably their DDM4 quad rail.

And just for clarification the gas port on the barrel and the port on the gas block have to be the same size correct?

Thank you and have a great day.

Feedback Score

I like Sprinco Blue w/H Buffet, but there are others:

From SOLGW site:

https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/co...ant=3084123649

“THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE SOLUTIONS IN THE INDUSTRY FOR OPTIMIZING THE PERFORMANCE OF YOUR BLACK RIFLE/CARBINE

"WHITE Spring" STANDARD Power Buffer Spring. Equivalent spring load to a “fresh” Mil-Spec M4 Carbine Spring. This spring will perform reliably in any properly configured and maintained 5.56 Carbine, if you wish to maintain the performance of a “fresh” Mil-Spec load spring without concern for replacement. This is the best choice for shooters and purists that wish to maintain the performance of most factory supplied NEW Mil-Spec springs, but do not wish to be concerned with frequent replacement of same or do not have the time or inclination to seek enhanced performance options. The "WHITE" spring is recommended for 10.0"-11.0" SBR's with H2 Buffers, 1st Gen M&P's, older RRA's with under 18"+ BBL's, early generation Colt 6920 LE's, 5.56 & 6.8 SPC 7.5"-8.5" BBL Piston Guns with H2 Buffers, with few exceptions, most .300 AAC Platforms, longer carbine barrels using intermediate or rifle length gas, and when training with SRTA and other low power and light charged “budget” rounds. Color Coded WHITE. [EXCEPTIONS: With SBR's which are seriously overgassed firing suppressed, (e.g. 10.3" HK 416's), a RED or ORANGE along with a hydraulic buffer is often used with great success.]

“BLUE Spring” ENHANCED Power Buffer Spring, Offers improved performance with most non-suppressed 12.5"-14.5" SBR's, 16" DI Mid-Length BBLS, and all mid-length uppers with adjustable gas blocks. Best performance is usually achieved using buffers ranging from ST-2T, H2, DPMS Extra Heavy Buffer. Will run in 18"+ Length BBL RRA'S with ST-T2 Buffers. Color Coded BLUE.

“RED Spring” EXTRA Power Buffer Spring, Best option for 16"+ 5.56 barrels with carbine length gas system platforms with standard front sight towers and H buffers, 16" + BBL gas piston guns, *some* suppressed shorties,and later generation Colt LE6920's, 9mm, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, .458 SOCOM, 450 Bushmaster, .500 Beowulf, and assorted "Thumpers" using standard 7" depth M4 extension tubes. AR-10 Carbines (E.G. Armalite, Noveske, LMT) using deeper extension tubes and standard length carbine buffers to accommodate the longer .308 BCG also use the "RED" Spring. Please call us to discuss successful historical "recipes" for implementation of the RED spring in .308, 6.8 SPC, etc. RIFLE length extension tube platforms. Color Coded RED. NOTE: NOT for use in .308 Carbines using standard 7" M4 extension tubes and short, stubby buffers. (Use our "ORANGE Spring" below for that specific platform approach application.) NOTE: If you have a seriously overgassed .308 Carbine which has the deeper AR-10 platform receiver extension tube running an H3 buffer firing 175 Gr. Projectiles and / or suppressed, many shooters have experienced success using the "ORANGE" spring, as it is still heavier than a "RED" spring in that application.

"ORANGE Spring" The ONLY specifically engineered EXTRA POWER Buffer Spring for .308 Carbine Platforms using standard 7" Depth M4 extension tubes and .308 short 2.5" buffers (Including aftermarket "heavy buffers.") You cannot clip coils from any other commercially available buffer spring to yield the proper spring loads for this application, especially in heavily gassed .308 carbine platforms. We started from scratch on this design to provide Operators with a viable alternative to existing OEM and aftermarket offerings. Platforms known to exist using this approach include DPMS, Bushmaster (Post 2010), Remington, CMMG, Mega, SA Defense, Colt 901, Rock River Arms and many others. Color Coded ORANGE.

"GREEN Spring" In addition to use in 5.56 Fixed Stock Rifles, our “GREEN Spring” is just the ticket for use in the VLTOR A-5 Stock System using their appropriate weight buffer for maximum versatility in tuning almost any upper configuration, running both with or without a "can". Color Coded GREEN.

Buffer is inserted into color coded end of spring for fast I.D. of installed spring by Operator.“

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    See answers in blue below.

The MOE-SL stock is a great choice, and there are many other options as well.

A5 buffer system any day and twice on Sunday.

Also I did had an issue with installing the forward assist. The nub that is supposed to push the bolt forward does not always come forward at the right angle, can this damage the bolt somehow?

Something must be screwed up. Recheck it.

Definitely going with a DD barrel, gas block, gas tube and probably their DDM4 quad rail.

Not a bad choice, but check out our BRT OPTIMUM barrels before you pull the trigger.

And just for clarification the gas port on the barrel and the port on the gas block have to be the same size correct?

No. Gas block ports and tube ports have "standard" sizes which are quite a bit bigger than most barrels, and are pretty universal.

The diameter of the gas block journal does need to match, but there are generally only two choices, .750 and .625

The gas port in the barrel is very important and should be sized by the factory correctly. Many barrel manufacturers oversize the gas port, creating an over gassed situation, so do your research.

Thank you and have a great day.

Enjoy the build.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast