Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dang it, had a question of dire importance but

Feedback Score

Dang it, had a question of dire importance but

The prohibition thread got closed.

I have a limited, mediocre selection, and an unrefined palate.

But I do enjoy sipping whiskey.

I am not a user of ice.
    I don’t want to mix drinks.
    A couple days a week after finishing a block of work I will either sip two or three shots of one whiskey,
    Or compare one shot each of two or three choices.

I am not throwing it back from the bottle or in one shot, but a shot glass is a little small to sip from
    I find the basic 7ish ounce tumbler bigger than I want to use to sip from.

It’s slmost like I would want a tumbler in the four ounce size.

But is don’t like using stemmed choices like Glencairn, wine, champagne, cognac, etc type glasses.

What are your choices and preferences?
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    I typically use a generic 8 oz “whiskey” glass, but I do use ice most of the time.

Since you’re not a fan of ice in your drink, and you appreciate nice things maybe something like this would be enjoyable for you:

https://m.wineenthusiast.com/norlan-...(set-of-2).asp

Feedback Score
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-18-18 at 16:31.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP, what you are looking for is the "Norlan Whisky Glass"
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...n-whisky-glass

They are also great with sipping rum as well.

On edit: I see where Coal Dragger also linked these.
    Last edited by soulezoo; 12-07-18 at 08:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    May have to try the Norlan and see how it goes. I normally use the bottom of a Templeton Rye bottle that was turned into a glass. Too big and leads to some longer pours than I should have but I like it and it was part of a Pheasants Forever fundraiser. Some days I use ice or just a few drops of water. Depends on which bottle I opened. I either use stainless steel cubes that are chilled or my wife got me some large ice cube trays that make a 2 inch tall cube that melts real slow.

Feedback Score
    I have your standard high and low tumblers, basically 12 and 8 oz type glasses.

While they are fine for a simple mixed drink, or with a lot of ice,
    For me just having one shot or at most three the 8oz glass just seems to big for what I want.

g

I think the 4.5 oz is an option I will try. Hopefully I can find some that look like the ones I have.

I don’t like the stem, or stem like narrow bottom glasses.

I am not a sophisticated drinker. I have no plans to develop a sophisticated palate. I simply like to try stuff once or twice a week. Basically, I know blended into blandness and beaten into no offense to even a twelve year old girl having her first drink like Crown Royal is not interesting to me.

When I was a kid I remember a draft horse that startled and got of trail into some damp, swampy soft earth and cut its leg. My job while the horse was held was to rinse off the mud, Moss, and dirt with listerine then wrap a dressing soaked with iodine over it. I wiped my face with the back of my hand after and some mix of that got in my mouth and tasted horrible. (My grandfather and his brother were still doing some logs jobs with horses instead of a skidders into the 90s). When I try Laphroaig or Lagavulin it reminds me of that like it was yesterday and I have no interest in it.

So stuff in the middle is what I like tasting and comparing.

I have tried some very expensive and well regarded stuff I found uninteresting. I have tried stuff basically on the lowest shelf the bottles are still glass instead of plastic and liked it.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 12-18-18 at 16:31.

Feedback Score
    I was at an Irish bar in Boston a few years back (The Black Rose) and they were serving me whiskey in Libbey DuraTuff 7oz Rocks glasses. Good looking 5-pointed base. I know 7 oz might seem large but it's what I drink everything neat in when I'm at my home, and it feels just right to me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score
    If I have a good bourbon/whiskey and want to sip on some it is with the shorter, wider glass you showed on the right (the ones I have are ~ 10 ounces). I'll put a little cubed ice in it and a few ounces of the bourbon, then a quick sprat of water.

Currently I have a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle. It's the 10 year stuff, the 20 year was a little too expensive for my tastes.....at $190 a bottle it should have come with a set of lips! The 10 year was around $60. Damn good sipping it the way I listed above. I've had Jack Daniels Sinatra, but I think the Old Rip Van Winkle is better.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast