Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dimple on a QPQ Nitride Barrel

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I was on the fence until we had a gas block slip. I think it was on that piece of shit Faxon barrel. I'll dimple every barrel from now on if it doesn't already have that feature in place.
    Are you saying that the Faxon barrel wasn't even dimpled???

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My Faxon Big Gunner Nitride barrel wasn't dimpled. I had no problem at all doing it myself.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I dimpled one of those Faxon barrels using whatever normal, good quality bits are made from. No problems but it was a little tough. My only barrel dimpling. I've installed 3-4 other gas blocks that either had 2 or 3 set screws. No dimpling, no issues.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    My Faxon Govt /Socom barrel wasn’t dimpled either. Here is what they say on their website about why they don’t dimple. I feel like it’s so easy for peace of mind they should be doing that for the price I paid.

Frequently Asked Questions: Does Faxon Dimple Their Barrels?

Aug 26th 2016

In a short-answer, no.

Why?

We believe it valuable for customers understand our reasons:

Adding the dimple would break through the corrosion resistant nitride layer on the barrel since we drill our gas ports after nitriding. Since most customers do not use a dimple, adding an unprotected path for corrosion is not advisable.
    The dimple pattern is not standard across the industry. What works for one company or pattern will not work with many others.
    A dimple is easy to complete at home for those looking to add it. If we added it in production for all barrels, it would add a full operation for itself, increasing lead times, cost, and price to the customer.
    But What About Your Gas Block? It Uses Set Screws?

It does, but the dimple is not needed.

We use three set screws instead of the common two.
    Faxon uses "flush cup" screws. The cupped screws each "bite" into the steel and when combined with the recommended thread-locking compound (either red Loc-Tite or RockSett), the gas block is locked into place.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Nope. I dimpled it after the GB slipped.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I decided to be impatient and try a dimple without a jig. Wasn’t hard at all. I used an auto center punch in the middle of the impression left on the barrel. I have a jig en route for future builds but figured I would try it anyways. I was very surprised how easy a colbalt bit went through the nitride . Took me no more than 5-10 mins.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ben0341 View Post
    My Faxon Govt /Socom barrel wasn’t dimpled either. Here is what they say on their website about why they don’t dimple. I feel like it’s so easy for peace of mind they should be doing that for the price I paid.

Frequently Asked Questions: Does Faxon Dimple Their Barrels?

Aug 26th 2016

In a short-answer, no.

Why?

We believe it valuable for customers understand our reasons:

Adding the dimple would break through the corrosion resistant nitride layer on the barrel since we drill our gas ports after nitriding. Since most customers do not use a dimple, adding an unprotected path for corrosion is not advisable.
    The dimple pattern is not standard across the industry. What works for one company or pattern will not work with many others.
    A dimple is easy to complete at home for those looking to add it. If we added it in production for all barrels, it would add a full operation for itself, increasing lead times, cost, and price to the customer.
    But What About Your Gas Block? It Uses Set Screws?

It does, but the dimple is not needed.

We use three set screws instead of the common two.
    Faxon uses "flush cup" screws. The cupped screws each "bite" into the steel and when combined with the recommended thread-locking compound (either red Loc-Tite or RockSett), the gas block is locked into place.
    Also from their FAQ:

Warranty Notification:

Faxon Firearms does not recommend dimpling until the system is fully checked.

If you feel the need to dimple the barrel, we suggest prior to dimpling, installing the gas block with the set screws and test the system. Once proper function is confirmed, you may dimple the barrel.

NOTE: Your warranty may be voided if dimpling is not performed by a gunsmith.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Nope. I dimpled it after the GB slipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by ben0341 View Post
    I decided to be impatient and try a dimple without a jig. Wasn’t hard at all. I used an auto center punch in the middle of the impression left on the barrel. I have a jig en route for future builds but figured I would try it anyways. I was very surprised how easy a colbalt bit went through the nitride . Took me no more than 5-10 mins.
    This may speak to the issue @markm had with their Faxon barrel giving the appearance of being shot "thousands of rounds" after only a few hundred were put through it. Maybe the supposed nitriding isn't actually hardening the surface layer of the steel and that's why the barrel wore so quickly? Either way, I'm almost completely sure I'll never buy another Faxon product, and forever warn others to stay away!

Feedback Score
    Also from their FAQ:

Warranty Notification:

Faxon Firearms does not recommend dimpling until the system is fully checked.

If you feel the need to dimple the barrel, we suggest prior to dimpling, installing the gas block with the set screws and test the system. Once proper function is confirmed, you may dimple the barrel.

NOTE: Your warranty may be voided if dimpling is not performed by a gunsmith.

Very true I should have added that in my post.

I’m not worried about a voided warranty on a $109 barrel. I’m pretty confident it will work. Drilling a dimple is pretty straight forward. The gas port hole in the gas block is a lot bigger than the port hole in the barrel so even if someone had it slightly mis aligned I don’t think it would affect anything. I spent a bit of time making all the marks and flipping it upside down to assure it should be seated against the shoulder without a gap. I hate when I overthink things sometimes. Just have to throw on my linear comp and I’m heading out back to give it a test run.

Feedback Score
    This may speak to the issue @markm had with their Faxon barrel giving the appearance of being shot "thousands of rounds" after only a few hundred were put through it. Maybe the supposed nitriding isn't actually hardening the surface layer of the steel and that's why the barrel wore so quickly? Either way, I'm almost completely sure I'll never buy another Faxon product, and forever warn others to stay away!

I agree. It was on sale for $109 at brownells so I picked it up. I am not impressed at how simple it was to go straight through the nitride. I used a $3 colbalt bit and no cutting oil and it went through like butter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast