Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upper/Lower Fitment Issue

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Upper/Lower Fitment Issue

I recently bought a 16” LMT CQB upper. I tried to put it on a lower and the front takedown pin would be extremely tight or completely unable to be pushed through. No problems with the rear takedown pin. This has happened on two lowers, I’ve never had this problem with any other built or bought upper before. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.
    Good equipment is no substitute for good training.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Assistance? You'd like me to bring a bunch and hammer? If some persuasion is needed, rock on. If it simply won't slide into place with moderate impacts, then let us know.

Tight is good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The rear pin aside, will the front go in any easier in relation to different "pivot" angles of the upper? Is it the same for removal whether it's first or last to be popped loose?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Kind of with Grizzman on this problem.

First of all, try installing the pivot pin with the upper shotgunned open - if you haven't already.

Does it start into the upper receiver tab? If so gently tap with a plastic/leather mallet. If you don't have one of those, use a piece of wood as a buffer.

If it won't even start into the pivot pin tab, I'd check the pin to make sure it isn't over .250. Mil-spec on the charts I've seen is .248 (+/- .002)

The (+) or (-) tolerances in two pieces sometimes stack together to make a tight fit.

Tight is good, once you get it in, let the assemblies wear into each other and it'll be fine.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's likely caused by the Cerakote, but my FDE Colt still requires a hammer and punch, and I'm okay with it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’m good with tight, not good with out of spec parts. Other uppers don’t have this issue, which caused the concern. After I get a lower built for it hopefully it’ll wear in.

Feedback Score
    I’ll share my experience with my mrp. It is a tight fit on all the lowers I own. One of the lowers its a chore to mate to the mrp, think tapping with a mallet. The other lower is tight, but it’s just the right type of tight.

Im not sure why they are uniquely tight compared to other upper/lower combos I have, but I like it.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Have you contacted LMT about the problem?? I am surprised this thread hasn't been canned yet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles11B View Post
    I recently bought a 16” LMT CQB upper. I tried to put it on a lower and the front takedown pin would be extremely tight or completely unable to be pushed through. No problems with the rear takedown pin. This has happened on two lowers, I’ve never had this problem with any other built or bought upper before. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you.
    First, find out where the problem is.

1. Remove the pivot pin from the lower and see if is goes through the hole in the upper.

If it doesn't there's your problem. If it does, go to step 2

2. Place the upper on the lower and slide the takedown through the rear lug of the upper. Examine the holes for the pivot pin, do the line up? (remember, there is .020" play in the rear hole so slide the upper back and forth on the lower while looking through the front hole.)

3. Repeat step 2 but look from the opposite side.

If there is a step that doesn't go away with sliding back and forth, there's your problem.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There is a range of acceptable specifications for both the upper and the lower. Sometimes those specs don't allow the two of them to play nice with each other. I have two BCM uppers that will NOT go into a Noveske lower. All high quality stuff, but they just don't fit each other.

That said, if I could get the front pin in (even with a plastic or leather mallet), and the rear pin goes in easily, I would simply rock on. The rear pin is the one I use 90% of the time. I don't even take out the front pin when cleaning my rifles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast