Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buffer weight.

Feedback Score

Buffer weight.

Seasons tidings, everyone! I'll just lay this out. I have a 11.5" barrel, used primarily suppressed, a Raptor SD ported charging handle, for use with suppressors, a Tubb flat wire buffer spring and a full auto bolt carrier group with basic, off the shelf ammo. With all these factors, I was thinking of going with a h2 4.4.oz buffer. Thoughts?
    Don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    An H2 is a good start.

The most important aspect with suppressor use is proper gas port sizing.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Whose barrel and/or do you know the gas port size? I have an 11.5" with .070 port that runs best with an H3 buffer and Sprinco Blue spring with SF suppressor.

Feedback Score
    Ballistic Advantage 11.5" Modern Series 5.56 barrel
    Gas port, (best I can measure) .076 -.078
    Carbine length DI gas system
    6" AAC 5.56 suppressor
    As for the ported charging handle, I'm not sure how or even if it will affect bolt carrier performance.
    The bolt carrier, itself being heavier, I'm sure will be a determining factor in buffer weight as well.
    I guess, keep in mind that it will be used to some extent without the suppressor on it.
    Last edited by Gribbs; 12-08-18 at 23:48.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I would try a H2 (as Clint mentioned) and a H3 buffer. Expect it to be gassy and run kinda hard suppressed. A BCM 11.5 barrel I was running had a .076 port and produced a lot of gas to the face suppressed. It ran ok, but the recoil impulse was pretty snappy. This was my first SBR suppressed and it led me down the path of smaller gas ports, the A5 RE system and the LMT e-carrier. The M4C thread “best suppressed SBR ever?” Has a lot of good info in it.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...essed-SBR-Ever

Ed. You might consider one of Clint’s Black River Tactical micro tune gas blocks to reduce the gas port to something better running suppressed, like a .070. This port size seems to be a good compromise if planning to run unsuprressed a lot.
    Last edited by nightchief; 12-09-18 at 00:02.

Feedback Score
    Thank you, everyone. Some great stuff to ponder.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    ...You might consider one of Clint’s Black River Tactical micro tune gas blocks to reduce the gas port to something better running suppressed, like a .070. This port size seems to be a good compromise if planning to run unsuprressed a lot.
    I find .063 to be better.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I find .063 to be better.
    Even if planning to run 50% or more unsuppressed? I went to .067 for my 50/50 upper. Thought going smaller would be unreliable unsuppressed.
    Last edited by nightchief; 12-09-18 at 21:26. Reason: add'l thought

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've got a Colt 6933 upper with a .063" micro port, A5 RE and A5H2 buffer. Testing shows it will lock back unsuppressed. However, I must admit I rarely shoot it unsuppressed.

I'm finding that there are other variables that have a minor but noticeable affect on gas port size. One being the fit of the gas tube in the gas key. If the gas tube fits loosely in the gas key, a larger gas port may be needed.

Nightchief, the only way to find out if you can go smaller than your .067" reliably is to try it.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 12-09-18 at 23:28.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I'd also include an SLR or Superlative Arms adjustable gas block on that build, it will be much more pleasant suppressed an it is easy to turn it back and forth to be optimized for both unsuppressed and suppressed use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast