Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: PSA Premium BCG price too good to be true? ($59.99)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I paid a bit more for them than what the PSA units often go on sale for, because even though they probably come from the same place I'm actually willing to pay more for something that doesn't have PSA's name on it...
    Actually, me to. PSA has them for $10.00 more without the logo. Part Number 39339.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 12-14-18 at 10:41.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I agree that PSA is probably more of a gamble (although I feel like they are putting out less crap since they ditched their PTAC line), but I guess I've gotten lucky with them.

I have 6 PSA ARs (8" 300BLK SBR, 10.5" 5.56 AR pistol, 10" PSA 9mm AR pistol, a PA-10 in .308, and two 16" PSA middys), and I've put many thousands of rounds through them over the years, including multiple classes, and I have yet to have one fail. One of the 16" 5.56 middys has over 11k rounds on it with the original BCG (gas rings replaced once around the 5k mark).

I hear about issues, but I personally haven't seen any with my PSA guns. The BCGs have all been properly staked as well as the castle nuts on the lowers, and mine just haven't had any issues. I do clean and re lube them every 500-1,000 rounds, so maybe that helps. And for reference, I also have a Colt 6920, a BCM middy, and a Daniel Defense, and I think the Colt Trooper is probably one of the best "bang for the buck" deals out right now.

But from what I've personally seen with my sample size of 6 PSA guns, they have been awesome for the prices and I trust them completely.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Typical response, sir.

Business models differ, and marketing strategies differ.

BCM, for example, seems to focus on a market that is willing to pay a little more than average for an AR. Their marketing strategy is geared toward the 'gunfighter' and those that care that their rifles are made with care by a mostly veteran work force who knows their products will be carried in 'harms way.' They seem to be willing to sell fewer units at more profit per item to make their nut.

Of course, this is purely conjecture on my part.

PSA, on the other hand, seems to take a 'peoples AR' approach, focusing on low price and volume.

I'm sure you understand, that, in the simplest context, at the end of the day volume counts. If we are all buying bolt carriers made of the same material, to the same spec, the guy that buys the most gets the best price.

As far as the process, pretty sure MorphCross effectively put into words what most of us understood intuitively:

The reality is vendor A has a contract, vendor B has a contract, and vendor C has a contract.

Vendor A wants each bolt shot peened, HP tested, and Magnetic Particle inspected on an individual basis. On arrival at the vendor, vendor A runs their own finish checks which involves gauges and individual inspection. BCG fails it is rejected, BCG passes it is accepted.

(In BCM's case this involves - Prior to shipping, all BCM Bolt Carrier Groups are test fired for function. As such, the Bolt Carrier Group will show handling marks consistent with these quality control procedures - which is an additional step and to many purchasers adds value and confidence)

Vendor B wants every bolt individually Shot-peened however they for go the HPT, and they have batch magnetic particle inspection. Upon delivery they accept the bolts sight unseen and pair them off with a carrier and sell them.

(PSA - 'box 'em up and ship them out boys, we got a lot to put out and don't want to hear a lot of internet BS about our shipping times')

Vendor C is willing to for go all of that and will take what they are given at a quantity discount

Since we are specifically talking about PSA and BCM bolt carrier groups - neither does this)

It does not mean that Vendor A is delivering a "better" product but there was a greater amount of diligence in how they selected what they sell. In other words the deck is stacked more in the favor of the consumer. Vendor B is delivering something that at first blush looks and sounds the same but the diligence in selection is not the same. It is like playing Craps where you have every chance of getting something as good but you also have a chance of getting a losing role.

Vendor C is playing Russian Roulette with a six shot revolver with five hot chambers and one wood plugged squib.

Most consumers have to shop based on a balance of price and quality. This is why a $59.95 item made of the same materials as the $169.99 item is an attractive alternative. Not really that hard to understand.
    This is all qa/qc. Your example which I quoted was referencing production.

Your, what im assuming was a sarcastic comment, implied that ace’s explanation was false. I’d like to know with what authority you are making that claim.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 12-14-18 at 12:25.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It took me a while, but I now understand why the mods often end up locking PSA threads.

It always devolves to the same argument where an exhaustive peer reviewed and cross referenced study is demanded to disprove "parts is parts" or "as good as".

I bought a PSA Premium BCG, FN barreled premium upper and a 7075 receiver extension. The BCG was exchanged and replacement sold unused, I fixed the overgassed upper, and the RE seems good to go. It was a learning expirience and a cheap lesson all things considered.

There is nothing wrong with buying/using PSA components and assemblies, as long as you do it as an informed consumer and realize that something was sacrificed to hit a price point.

Just don't argue parts is parts.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567