Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: PSA Premium BCG price too good to be true? ($59.99)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Bahaha, what a hapless troll, PTMccain.
    God loves a trier though

Feedback Score
    I built a “mil-spec” AR for about $600with premium PSA parts, never failed to give me a good time at the range. I personally think it is among the very best you can get in a budget build, if that’s your goal you probably can’t do much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    This isn't a perfect analog, but I work for a major aircraft parts supplier in KS that mfrs parts for most of the major aircraft plants here and in the surrounding states. We receive contracts for sheet metal parts that dictate material, dimensions, hardness, coating, tolerances, etc. While most parts are exclusive to that particular contract and therefore are fairly predictable as to where and to who they are going, there are a few that are standard between more than one aircraft assembler. One contract may detail a tolerance of +/- .030" on all dimensions, including hole position if it needs a hole drilled or reamed (usually there's also a call-out that details a range of hole-diameter, i.e. .097-.102"). Another assembler may ask for that part to be hardness tested before shipping, or hold those previously mentioned tolerances tighter. One particular job I was completing was for an instrument panel part that went to the F-35 program. It was 7075-T62 that was cut on a router, broke to the proper shape, and heat treated and aged to the point we could bend it 45 degrees and it would spring back to its proper shape. This particular part called for flanges cut to within .010" and hole position within .005", along with hole size held to within .003". It took longer, and extreme care to complete the contract within the required amount of time and within spec, but then again the company made a grip-ton of $$$ off this particular part order (we also went through 4-5 drill bits to complete 30 parts, as the material was hard enough it was wearing down the bit and taking the holes OOT.)

Like I said it's not a perfect analogy, but I've been burned by PSA on enough occasions that even the rec guns get at least a Sionics or Centurion BCG now. The OP has said he's sticking with BCM, not sure anything further needs discussed.
    Last edited by Leonidas24; 12-13-18 at 22:26.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Swstock View Post
    Based on?
    Per my phone convo with a toolcraft rep a few days ago. Ordered a PSA(toolcraft) nib bcg for the .300 build after the talk. Am excited to get it.

My fear is after certain party members get power in the national scene back, we might be clamoring for a nib bcg with a carpenter 158 bolt from PSA for under $200 much less the $90 they are on sale for now! I’m happy to get while I have an opportunity. That being said I’ll get a bcm for the 5.56 while I’m at it and run them side by side. I’ll bet they both do a great job.
    Last edited by OZARK TOAD; 12-13-18 at 22:46.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Well I just bought one of these to throw in another PSA upper so we’ll see. I’ll post pictures in a week or two when I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    For some the allure of spending less money distorts good judgement.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've got a Toolcraft BCG in a 727-style parts build (Only about 450 rounds through the gun though, which isn't really enough to tell you anything about it's long term durability) and a second Toolcraft set to go into a Retro rifle clone. The specs as listed checked out with the exception of the bolts not being HP tested.

I paid a bit more for them than what the PSA units often go on sale for, because even though they probably come from the same place I'm actually willing to pay more for something that doesn't have PSA's name on it...

But if I were assembling a dedicated "hard use" gun I want a BCG from a more "known quality" source. Although to be fair the only BCG failure I've ever had was with a BCM with a relatively low round count on it, however the failure seemed like kind of a "shit happens" fluke rather than a QC issue.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I picked up a few of these a few weeks back just to have. I did a cursory once over and they looked OK but the staking was not the best. The Toolcraft NSN BCGs are much better in my opinion - http://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-bc...i-complete.htm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Swstock View Post
    Ohhh. Which vendors?
    Yea, i wanna know too so i can avoid them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Please explain how your company manufactures to a specification. Also include the application of SPC and its application to maximize profit for the company.
    Typical response, sir.

Business models differ, and marketing strategies differ.

BCM, for example, seems to focus on a market that is willing to pay a little more than average for an AR. Their marketing strategy is geared toward the 'gunfighter' and those that care that their rifles are made with care by a mostly veteran work force who knows their products will be carried in 'harms way.' They seem to be willing to sell fewer units at more profit per item to make their nut.

Of course, this is purely conjecture on my part.

PSA, on the other hand, seems to take a 'peoples AR' approach, focusing on low price and volume.

I'm sure you understand, that, in the simplest context, at the end of the day volume counts. If we are all buying bolt carriers made of the same material, to the same spec, the guy that buys the most gets the best price.

As far as the process, pretty sure MorphCross effectively put into words what most of us understood intuitively:

The reality is vendor A has a contract, vendor B has a contract, and vendor C has a contract.

Vendor A wants each bolt shot peened, HP tested, and Magnetic Particle inspected on an individual basis. On arrival at the vendor, vendor A runs their own finish checks which involves gauges and individual inspection. BCG fails it is rejected, BCG passes it is accepted.

(In BCM's case this involves - Prior to shipping, all BCM Bolt Carrier Groups are test fired for function. As such, the Bolt Carrier Group will show handling marks consistent with these quality control procedures - which is an additional step and to many purchasers adds value and confidence)

Vendor B wants every bolt individually Shot-peened however they for go the HPT, and they have batch magnetic particle inspection. Upon delivery they accept the bolts sight unseen and pair them off with a carrier and sell them.

(PSA - 'box 'em up and ship them out boys, we got a lot to put out and don't want to hear a lot of internet BS about our shipping times')

Vendor C is willing to for go all of that and will take what they are given at a quantity discount

Since we are specifically talking about PSA and BCM bolt carrier groups - neither does this)

It does not mean that Vendor A is delivering a "better" product but there was a greater amount of diligence in how they selected what they sell. In other words the deck is stacked more in the favor of the consumer. Vendor B is delivering something that at first blush looks and sounds the same but the diligence in selection is not the same. It is like playing Craps where you have every chance of getting something as good but you also have a chance of getting a losing role.

Vendor C is playing Russian Roulette with a six shot revolver with five hot chambers and one wood plugged squib.

Most consumers have to shop based on a balance of price and quality. This is why a $59.95 item made of the same materials as the $169.99 item is an attractive alternative. Not really that hard to understand.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 12-14-18 at 10:22.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast