Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lmt carrier = noticeable difference?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    I can't imagine that there would be any benefit to using an LMT Enhanced carrier in a 20" barrel with a rifle length gas system.

Bolt yes, carrier no.
    Agreed from what I've read. Bolt can be used for any barrel length. Carrier is another story.

My understanding is that the EBCG is specifically for carbine length gas systems. Not that it wouldn't function on a mid-length (I have a 14.5" BCM mid-length that it works fine on), but it was designed for a carbine gas system and it's earlier unlocking.

A side benefit is that the carrier has the extra vent holes so it has ever-so-slightly less carbon buildup.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    The longer the barrel, the less you'll notice a difference with carrier. In the 16in I've used it is still great with an SLR gas block though, you can turn down the gas a bit more, but not as much as in an 11.5in. I haven't tried it in a 20in, but I'd imagine the difference would be even more slight, but probably still noticeable if you have a suppressor.

The bolt is just always a straight up upgrade.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Am I right to assume the LMT bolt would fit right in a Colt carrier?

Feedback Score
    That is correct, their bolts work with any carrier, and their carrier works with any bolt basically.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I have two rifles with carbine gas systems, one has a Colt bcg and the other has a LMT E-bcg. Between the two, there is the slightest difference in perceived recoil impulse, with the LMT being ever so slightly softer. To be honest, it may just be placebo... Can anybody else confirm my perceptions?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Can anybody else confirm my perceptions?
    Comparing two barrels, even from the same manufacturer, isn't very scientific... Two different manufacturers is really stretching it.... with port size, bore diameter variances, chamber/leade variations, etc.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    No benefit in longer barrels with controlling gas, but there is no downside either. The more overpassed your gun the more noticeable the difference. The bolt is a work of art and is a nice upgrade to any gun, but nothing you would feel. Just function and longevity.

is it worth it......, its an expensive upgrade.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    In a nutshell the LMT e carrier requires less work to extract a spent case due to increased lock time/ chamber pressure blow down time (less friction of case walls pushing into the chamber walls due to higher chamber pressures). This translates to more reliable extraction and requires less gas drive (even with the additional expansion chamber vents) to function. The down side is increased rearward carrier velocity, which by itself may actually increase felt recoil. This is why most here have found it good to pair the LMT e carrier with the A5 buffer system which has a better spring rate and options for heavier buffers to help slow the carrier. Heavier buffers also provide additional reliability owing to slower carrier speeds for the magazine spring to present the next round and increased momentum driving the next round into the chamber.
    I can’t say as heavy mass systems are really the way to go if your chief concern is recoil reduction and utmost reliability in different environments isn’t a priority, lightweight gaming systems have the advantage there.

Feedback Score
    Really the answer is to pair it with an adjustable gas block like an SLR. That solves both issues and allows its strengths to shine.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Potss View Post
    Really the answer is to pair it with an adjustable gas block like an SLR. That solves both issues and allows its strengths to shine.
    The A5 improvements stand alone from gas regulation. Some have durability reservations about adjustable gas blocks though SLR surely is the benchmark. Personally I think a properly ported barrel coupled with the LMT E carrier and the Vltor A5 system is the ticket. Though gas regulation alone does not fully offset the quickened unlock timing the heightened pressure curve of shortened gas seystem causes. The LMT E carrier therefore still moves the unlock timing in the right direction with a delaying effect on unlock timing in shorter gas systems even when coupled with gas regulation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast