Thread: Custom Collet Crimp Die

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Custom Collet Crimp Die

Backstory:

I have a custom Ruger Blackhawk in .50 AE. Since this round headspaces off of the case mouth, I am unable to apply enough crimp to keep bullets from walking forward under recoil while still being able to be chambered. This applies to light loads (300 gr. bullet at ~850 FPS). I will be having another cylinder chambered for .50 JRH but would like to be able to shoot a wide variety of .50 AE as well. Obviously a roll crimp is out, so I was thinking of some sort of collet die would give me a heavier crimp while still maintaining headspace. I have already tried Lee and was told that they couldn’t help.

Thoughts on this or any other crimping method that I may have missed?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What does your gunsmith recommend? I know for my custom chambered rifles, custom made dies came with the rifle.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    What does your gunsmith recommend? I know for my custom chambered rifles, custom made dies came with the rifle.
    The use of jacketed bullets- the harder jacket material allows the crimp more “bite” so to speak. I’ve tried this (Speer 300 grain Hot-Core) to no avail.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I wonder if a neck sealant/chemical solution is possible.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    If the case headspaces on the case mouth you only need a taper crimp and bullet grip is controlled by case diameter.

As a example Lee makes undersized dies that reduce case diameter .002 to .003 more than a normal sizing die and increase bullet grip.

Many competitive pistol shooters use the undersize die because they use range pickup brass. The older and more fired cases become harder and spring back more after sizing and need sized smaller.

What is the diameter of your expander and the thickness of your case walls. Both will effect bullet grip and the old trick is the loaded bullet push test to see if the bullet moves after loading when pushed against the loading bench.

Your sizing die diameter could be on the plus side, the expander could be on the plus side and thin cases add to the problem.

Bottom line, bullet grip is controlled by the cases ability to hold the bullet in place and the taper crimp only streamlines the case mouth for feeding.

Below is a reloaded 9mm cartridge with a slight taper crimp. The case below the seated bullet is wasp waisted showing how much smaller in diameter case is and increased bullet grip.

Another example below and a Lyman type "M" expander .003 smaller than bullet diameter for added bullet grip. The case is bumped onto the .226 section of the expander to aid straight inline bullet seating. And after bullet seating depending on the amount of brass spring back a taper crimp can be used to "slightly" close the case mouth for feeding.

Below a Redding pistol die with a type "M" expander (center image) and again the expander diameter and the sized case diameter effect bullet grip.

NOTE, on my light to medium loads in my .357 and .44 magnums I only use a taper crimp with plated bullets, and I have no problems or bullet setback.
    Last edited by bigedp51; 12-10-18 at 16:02.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I wonder if a neck sealant/chemical solution is possible.

Interesting, I hadn’t thought of this.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    If the case headspaces on the case mouth you only need a taper crimp and bullet grip is controlled by case diameter.

As a example Lee makes undersized dies that reduce case diameter .002 to .003 more than a normal sizing die and increase bullet grip.

Many competitive pistol shooters use the undersize die because they use range pickup brass. The older and more fired cases become harder and spring back more after sizing and need sized smaller.

What is the diameter of your expander and the thickness of your case walls. Both will effect bullet grip and the old trick is the loaded bullet push test to see if the bullet moves after loading when pushed against the loading bench.

Your sizing die diameter could be on the plus side, the expander could be on the plus side and thin cases add to the problem.

Bottom line, bullet grip is controlled by the cases ability to hold the bullet in place and the taper crimp only streamlines the case mouth for feeding.

Below is a reloaded 9mm cartridge with a slight taper crimp. The case below the seated bullet is wasp waisted showing how much smaller in diameter case is and increased bullet grip.

Another example below and a Lyman type "M" expander .003 smaller than bullet diameter for added bullet grip. The case is bumped onto the .226 section of the expander to aid straight inline bullet seating. And after bullet seating depending on the amount of brass spring back a taper crimp can be used to "slightly" close the case mouth for feeding.

Below a Redding pistol die with a type "M" expander (center image) and again the expander diameter and the sized case diameter effect bullet grip.

NOTE, on my light to medium loads in my .357 and .44 magnums I only use a taper crimp with plated bullets, and I have no problems or bullet setback.
    I’m already using a smaller diameter expanded plug. I will look into Lee’s offerings and see if they make one that is smaller in diameter. Agreed that case diameter is a big factor in keeping bullets in place- my .454 Casull loads are very much wasp-waisted.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I’m already using a smaller diameter expanded plug. I will look into Lee’s offerings and see if they make one that is smaller in diameter. Agreed that case diameter is a big factor in keeping bullets in place- my .454 Casull loads are very much wasp-waisted.
    I bought 500 once fired Winchester military 9mm cases that were on the thin side. And the bottom section my Lyman type "M" expander was not touching the inside of the case except for the upper diameter part of the expander. I bought the Lee undersized die and the expander contacted the case increasing the bullet grip.

Chambers and dies vary in size and the brass can spring back after sizing and effect bullet grip, and as you can see on your.454 casull cases.

As a example I have a standard Lee .223 FL die that reduces the case body diameter more than my RCBS small base die.
    Last edited by bigedp51; 12-11-18 at 15:44.