Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many L.A.R. in your collection?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Winchester Model 94 in .30 WCF (30-30) made in 1917.

I havent shot it because I don’t know what ammo I can safely shoot without damaging it...any suggestions or is any good enough?
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Winchester Model 94 in .30 WCF (30-30) made in 1917.

I havent shot it because I don’t know what ammo I can safely shoot without damaging it...any suggestions or is any good enough?
    There are manufacturers who make "Cowboy" reduced cast bullet rounds that should be a little easier on the rifle - for example:
    https://www.ultramaxammunition.com/cowboy.php

At the same time, modern 30-30 ammunition is not loaded to higher pressure than 1917 30-30 ammunition was. I would have a knowledgeable gunsmith inspect it first, but it should be fine with full power factory loads.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just one rifle... Glenfield 30 (336 copy). My father gave it to me for a birthday present. Never had a use for a .30-30 rifle, since not allowed to hunt with it in NJ, but would never sell it. Not just because my father gave it to me, but it was before they started putting safeties on them. Half cock is good enough in my eyes.

Did have an Uberti 1860 Steel frame reproduction, in .45 Colt. Sold it, as I really never warmed up to it. Nice rifle, but should have got something with a front handguard.

I do have Century PW87... but not a rifle. Might be a cheap Chinese shotgun, but it definitely is fun to shoot a shotgun based off the 1887/1901 pattern. I do hope to one day get it cleaned up, possible some sort of finish work... but it works fine.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Damn some of y’all have more lever guns than I have ARs! I only have one right now. A Ruger 96 .22mag. Always wanted one and found one a couple years ago. I had a Savage 99 in .308 for a while but sold it. I would like to have a Winchester 87, most likely a modern copy so I can use smokeless 12 gauge instead of bp 10 gauge. And I am playing with the idea of SBRing a .45 “mares leg” and threading it for suppressor use.

Feedback Score
    Only two currently.
    Marlin 336 straight stock (RC?) in 30-30. Currently working it up into kinda of a quasi scout type thingy, just need to hammer out the optics.
    JC higgins 36A (?) Just a re-branded 336 from the 60's I believe. Great rifle, shoots like a house on fire.

Future plans, Henry in .22, .357, and possibly 45-70. I really like the current Henry stuff.

Feedback Score
    Winchester 94 30/30
    Winchester 94 .45 LC
    Marlin 336 30/30
    Marlin 1895 45/70
    Marlin 1895 45/70 Guide Gun
    Marlin 1895 .444 Marlin
    Marlin 39 .22

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I only have two: Marlin 1894 .44 mag and Henry H001 in .22lr . I grew up with a Win 94 in .30WCR and will always enjoy America’s First Assault Rifle.

I met a collector of Marlins who had several large safes with drawers stuffed with various models, variations and years. Must have a few hundred immaculate rifles.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    One Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. Bought it specifically to FUDD out in the woods and shoot deer in states where only straight wall is allowed. Haven't done that yet, but I do check zero every year. Shoots quite well even though the front sight hood moves around. I could probably fix it with a little attention, but as this model is recent one with no collection or sentimental value, I don't usually play with it. Hell I don't think I've even cleaned it.

I would shell out for one those Winchester lever shotguns though.

For whatever reason, I see lever guns on the social from time to time with modern (keymod) rails, optics, and suppressors. Seems kind of silly, but kind of cool in a way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Had a lot of fun the other day at our gun club shooting steel silhouette targets with the .44 Marlin for the first time. The .44 really hammers those larger heavier plates! Knocked them down consistently to 100 yds but beyond that I was having troubling figuring the drop (wet ground not showing any hits). Out to 50 yds quick shots were knocking down 4” plates easily. At 75-100 yds I had to take a few seconds to aim more carefully. But starting at 125yds it seemed to drop quite a bit more.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Had a couple of Marlin 1894C .357's and one in .45LC in the 90's when I was shooting CAS. Foolishly sold them. Recently picked up a Henry Big Boy Steel in .357 to fill that void.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast