Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt SOCOM vs Daniel Defense Barrels?

Feedback Score

Colt SOCOM vs Daniel Defense Barrels?

So I've been collecting the parts for my future AR builds but it can be a bit challenging to decide what barrels to get. I've narrowed it down between these two. I've seen threads saying DD is the new Colt and Colt doesn't have the same quality it used to, etc... So I wanted to get the opinions of others on the subject matter. These are your general purpose AR's for any and all situations you can think of (SHTF, WROL, you know the rest...) I am planning on getting 14.5" barrels and sending them off to be chopped just a bit and they can resize the gas port if necessary for low and high pressure ammo. Any input is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    SOCOM went with DD.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-E View Post
    So I've been collecting the parts for my future AR builds but it can be a bit challenging to decide what barrels to get. I've narrowed it down between these two. I've seen threads saying DD is the new Colt and Colt doesn't have the same quality it used to, etc... So I wanted to get the opinions of others on the subject matter. These are your general purpose AR's for any and all situations you can think of (SHTF, WROL, you know the rest...) I am planning on getting 14.5" barrels and sending them off to be chopped just a bit and they can resize the gas port if necessary for low and high pressure ammo. Any input is appreciated.
    Why don't you just buy a length/profile barrel you want that is gassed the way you want?? Most barrels are over gassed for a reason...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-E View Post
    A bit of a variance there, no? A gas port tuned for one will vary a good bit from one tuned for the other. To run cheap, shitty ammo you'll need a port on the larger side. Mil-spec/5.56NATO rounds will require less of a port size. I don't think there is a "one size fits all" unless it's a large one.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I can tell you from first hand experience, the Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel has optimum gas porting for proper function with 5.56 spec ammo unsuppressed. It also functions with 100% reliability using Remington 223 ammo. They also deliver consistent precision. Both of mine will keep ten rounds of Federal 55 gr 5.56 under 2.5 MOA at one hundred yards.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I'd snag a Triarc, Lothar Walther, or BRT before either of them by a wide margin.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I can tell you from first hand experience, the Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel has optimum gas porting for proper function with 5.56 spec ammo unsuppressed. It also functions with 100% reliability using Remington 223 ammo. They also deliver consistent precision. Both of mine will keep ten rounds of Federal 55 gr 5.56 under 2.5 MOA at one hundred yards.
    Mist, did you free float, or was this on a standard upper? I’ve got a barrel and a plan, but have considered selling/trading the barrel for one with a FSB.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Apples vs oranges - heavy vs gov profile, carbine vs mid gas, CHF vs not. Both are great barrels but after the recent Crane testing I would lean towards the DD for a 14.5. However with your stated intent to have it "chopped just a bit and they can resize the gas port" you are asking for an uninformed opinion, not enough information for any kind of valid recommendation.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    One is the new Colt M4A1 SOCOM rifle with the KAC drop in quad rail.

The other is a 6920 that I swapped out the 16" barrel for a pinned 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel. It uses the Magpul Slimline handguard.

I'll post photos when I get home from work
    Last edited by MistWolf; 12-12-18 at 07:40.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Don't forget the BCM SOCOM barrel. I was shooting mine on Sunday, and was really impressed with the gassing/ejection smoothness using med/hot ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast