Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt SOCOM vs Daniel Defense Barrels?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Potss View Post
    I'd snag a Triarc, Lothar Walther, or BRT before either of them by a wide margin.
    Interesting. I don't see these mentioned much. Any particular reasons why I should pick these over DD?

Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Why don't you just buy a length/profile barrel you want that is gassed the way you want?? Most barrels are over gassed for a reason...
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Apples vs oranges - heavy vs gov profile, carbine vs mid gas, CHF vs not. Both are great barrels but after the recent Crane testing I would lean towards the DD for a 14.5. However with your stated intent to have it "chopped just a bit and they can resize the gas port" you are asking for an uninformed opinion, not enough information for any kind of valid recommendation.
    Because my desired length (13.375) doesn't exist. So I wanted to get them chopped. I originally was going to do 12.5 builds but realized the barrels would be just a tad short. They won't clear the handguard. I still wanted the barrels to form nicely with build and just have the muzzle device protruding. Plus I find 14.5 to be the max length for general purpose, so I wanted to ease it down a bit. I mention resizing of the gas port because some companies make the barrels with larger gas ports while others don't. So it wouldn't matter since the barrel service company can resize if necessary.
    Last edited by Iron-E; 12-12-18 at 17:18.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Colt SOCOM vs Daniel Defense Barrels?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron-E View Post
    Interesting. I don't see these mentioned much. Any particular reasons why I should pick these over DD?

No, your much better off sticking with the DD or Colt barrel over any of those mentioned above. Stick with quality well tested/known manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Don't forget the BCM SOCOM barrel. I was shooting mine on Sunday, and was really impressed with the gassing/ejection smoothness using med/hot ammo.
    Not that I wouldn't trust BCM with making a SOCOM barrel for me, but I buy theirs for other barrel profiles, specifically the ELW mid-length ones.

If I was going to pony-up the cash (no pun intended), I'd buy the Colt SOCOM if that type of barrel is what I was after.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Mist, did you free float, or was this on a standard upper? I’ve got a barrel and a plan, but have considered selling/trading the barrel for one with a FSB.
    Here are the photos I promised

The factory built Colt M4A1 SOCOM with KAC quad rail

Colt 6920 with a pinned Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel and MagPul Slimline handguards

Both naked
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Awesome, much appreciated
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    Really funny to see someone call Lothar Walther "unknown." They OEM Accuracy International, DTA, and many more (including formerly Larue) and have been around forever.

Anyways, the Triarc and LW both have nicer rifling and will on average be significantly more accurate with equal or greater barrel life. I don't have a BRT but I've heard good things. Listen to flannel daddy.

I also forgot to mention Criterion/ADM who are also significantly nicer than DD/Colt and sit in the same range as the other aforementioned barrels.

I'm not sure what you are looking to spend, but really the best option is just to have Craddock Precision cut you exactly what you are looking for from the start. They can nitride any barrel as well. Other posters indicated, there is no point in buying a 14.5in to cut it down. There are more than enough good options on the market (including custom cut like Craddock and CLE) to not need to do that. Everyone listed above does a 10.5 or 11.5 or 12.in if you wanted it.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I've built 3 carbines with Colt SOCOM barrels, and they are awesome shooters. The Colt barrels have the correct gas port sizing for their length/gas systems, so you will not have issues in regards to function, EVER. I've never used a DD barrel, so I can't personally comment on their quality.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    When I had my last upper built I went with the Colt SOCOM barrel. But for what you're going to do with it [chop & resize the gas port] I'd look into custom options from Compass Lake, Lilja or someone else that's reputable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I feel like you’re comparing lowest bidder govt parts with upscale civilian parts. I’d assume the colt would last longer but the dd would be more accurate based on theoretical usage. But then you have to factor in freefloat, ammo, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    You would be incorrect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast