Thread: IR illuminator/Laser recommendation for 300 BO subs

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

IR illuminator/Laser recommendation for 300 BO subs

Hey guys,

I have 2 300 blackout pistols I want to start playing with in the dark. I'm looking for 100 to 150 yds max since these shoot almost 100% 300 bo subs. What would you guys recommend as the best bang for your buck.

So far my number 1 contender is the dbal. Should I be considering any other options? I dont need or want to spend mawl money when I only need an illuminator and ir laser for 150 yds max.

Thanks
    Dan

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    There's just no civilian class-1 laser illuminator other than the MAWL C-1+ that will be effective at 150 yards.

Lots of LED based options though. DBAL-D2, TNVC Torch, etc.. And of course the DBAL-A4. All LED based options have some visible red glow. The DBAL-A4 is supposedly only visible within one degree of the bore and like ten yards, but I haven't played with one yet.

You can buy a legit LE trade in class-3b lasers, but you will not get any kind of warranty support or service if anything goes wrong. A hard pill to swallow when you're dropping over a grand.

Be suspicious of any class-3b items you find. Many, maybe even most, are actually stollen.

If you don't care about the glow, i.e. hunting or just playing around, a used D2 is kind of the king right now. In my opinion anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I use and really like the Steiner CQBL. Its a DBAL with out the ir illuminator. It is an IR laser and visible laser slaved together, it only cost 829$. I use it with a Surefire ir/wl scout light.

Honestly to me neither the IR illuminator or IR flash light really matter to me. I have hand pieced White Phosphor Gen 3 tubes. I can see very well in extreme darkness. Where I see a good IR illuminator would be needed would be with magnified night vision scope on a precision rifle. If you are using nods with an IR laser or being sneaky with an aim point or eotech I see no need for the illuminator. My comparison base is a real full power PEQ-15 I have. I wish the civi units had the brighter IR laser, I could give a shit about the illuminator. I could have bought 3 of the Stiener CQBL for what I paid for the PEQ-15. Knowing what I know now thats what I would do if I did it again.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I used to have a CQBL-1, that was a great laser. I miss it.

That said, I do think that sometimes you need to look into dark areas with no light to amplify, even with the latest L3 unfilmed white phosphor tubes, if there is no light to amplify you won't be able to see.

An illuminator will also help to tame the bloom of your aiming laser depending on the situation.

Much of this discussion really depends on the OP's intended use, not to mention budget.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Budget isn't an issue, but I do not want to drop 5k on 2 mawls when I could just as easily drop 1.8k and get the effect im looking for. You make a good point about the gen 3 WP tubes as that is what I am currently playing with. I do want to have an illuminator as in the absence of light in basements or buildings or even under heavy cloud cover or no moon it would certainly help. I guess if I had to prioritize it would be little to no visual signature, usable IR Laser out to around 150 yds or less, and then an IR illuminator. I will definitely look at working an IR scout and a CQBL-1 as I have friends local who have those pieces I can try.

Feedback Score
    It's my understanding that the appeal of having a powerful illuminator has to do with being able to use NODs in mixed light environment, where there can be white light between you and the area you're trying to observe, thus washing out the image, unless you have a powerful enough illuminator to compensate. I suspect that this isn't as huge an issue for hunting, as you can use a mix of thermals and IR to identify and track game.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/