Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a Bolt rifle for hunting.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Need help with a Bolt rifle for hunting.

I’m looking for a bolt gun for hunting. My wants are 30-06, stainless, synthetic stock or wood laminate, sturdy metal mag, rifle sights, medium weight rifle to lightweight, minimum 22” barrel and ability to mount a scope. I’m having a hard time finding a rifle with fixed sights and above listed options. To add the rifle should be about 1moa. Any ideas. It seems like an old Ruger 77 Mark II is my only option but I can’t locate one.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    My 2 cents - drop the iron sights requirement. You are eliminating too many great choices for a feature with very limited utility.

In my limited expirience, quality modern scopes are very reliable. Also in my expirience, the rear sight on a lot of bolt guns interferes with low scope mounting.

1 MOA is certainly possible, 1.5 - 2 MOA is probably more realistic with a wider range of hunting bullets and a sporter weight barrel.

I have a Ruger All Weather MKII in .30-06 (sans sights) and it weighs right at 8 lbs with a "boat paddle" stock, sling and Leupold 2-7 scope.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-12-18 at 10:52.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You are not going to find many bolt hunting rifles with sights. I also recommend you drop that requirement as hunting rifles are meant to have scopes. My most accurate bolt rifle is my SAKO L61R in 30-06....they can be found used reasonably priced. One of the newer SAKO models would also be very accurate.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The Ruger Hawkeye Guide Gun seems to fit the bill.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Need help with a Bolt rifle for hunting.

Not the same cartridge, but very close ballistics: have you considered the Gunsight Scout in .308?
    Also the mossberg, I don’t know what the mag is made of: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...97086/redirect
    I think the Savage 110cl has the all metal mag with iron sights.
    ETA: yep, here’s a barreled action, https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790956410
    Last edited by czgunner; 12-13-18 at 09:01.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You didn't specify whether the magazine needs to be detachable; if not, I agree that the Ruger Guide gun is probably as close as you're going to get in an off-the-shelf package.

FWIW my iron-sighted Ruger GSR in .308 is probably my favorite all-around rifle. It's light, handy, and accurate enough for my purposes--which is shooting things while standing on my hind legs.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    The Ruger Hawkeye Guide Gun seems to fit the bill.
    This is where I ended up, it checks all the boxes (except that it has a 20" barrel instead of 22"). Nice looking rifle to boot:

https://www.ruger.com/products/guide...ets/47118.html

Sako also makes at least one version of their model 85 in 30-06 with irons, but most are blued and I think the only stainless version is only available in the more powerful 375 H&H and 338 Win Mag. The 85 Black Bear seems to be close, just with 20" barrel and blued steel instead of 22" and stainless.

https://www.sako.fi/sites/default/fi...Black_Bear.pdf

The Ruger sells for around $1000, while the Sako would run you closer to $1700.

The Remington 700 BDL in available in 30-06, but it is blued and in a walnut stock, so again not a perfect fit. The Mossberg Patriot is probably the least expensive option, but I believe it has a matte black finish, comes in a walnut stock, and uses a plastic detachable mag.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thx I really like the Ruger and the Sako but 22” or 24” seems like a better length barrel for hunting.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    Thx I really like the Ruger and the Sako but 22” or 24” seems like a better length barrel for hunting.
    I’m biased, as I much prefer shorter barrels. I carry rifles much more than I shoot them, and I can’t remember the last time I took a shot at anything (much less an animal) with iron sights beyond 200 yards. From a less-than-optimal shooting position on I’d want to keep the range even shorter.

The 50-100 FPS that extra barrel length would provide just wouldn’t be worth it to me, but your mileage may vary.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Don't laugh, but I would recommend a quality Mauser rebarrel in 30/06. Or a husky factory 30/06.

Many decent sporterized rifles out there that are 10x better than commercial modern rifle in the same price range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast