Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Help with A5 buffer choice

Feedback Score
    Realistically, the ideal spring is one that closes whatever mass bolt at an appropriate velocity for feeding. That's really its only job. The velocity the bolt opens with is controlled by gas and mass. Stoner designed a BCG, spring, gas tube and buffer that works for a 20" barrel and fixed stock. Colt created the short buffer tube and carbine gas system as a crude adaptation of the full size gun. It is not engineered to the same standard.

If Stoner had been tasked to create a 5.56mm carbine with a 14.5" barrel, it would likely have featured a much longer travel cam way for later bolt unlock, which would have resulted in 20" barrel cyclic rates. But shortening the gas tube and lightening the buffer is never going to result in a weapon that functions as well as the full size - no matter how much you screw around with the gas hole diameter.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Opening velocities are always higher than closing velocities.

Springs have friction losses, so some of the energy is lost.

The buffer impact does return quite a bit of energy.

You can see from this graph, the rebound velocity is about 58% of impact velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Gödel View Post
    Unless you combine overgassing with a stronger spring, there is no reason the bolt closing speeds are going to be anywhere as high as the opening. The opening velocity is absorbed by the impact of the buffer on the back of the buffer tube. So there isn't a good reason for a standard spring to close the action much faster than a correctly gassed action.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Opening velocities are always higher than closing velocities.

Springs have friction losses, so some of the energy is lost.

The buffer impact does return quite a bit of energy.

You can see from this graph, the rebound velocity is about 58% of impact velocity.

And I think it would be much more lopsided with an overgassed gun.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    Interesting, I drilled a tungsten weight just last week.....cutting fluid, patience and a cobalt bit.
    Easy peasy.
    Whoose bit did you use? What fluid? What RPM? Maybe my lathe isn't stiff enough.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Whoose bit did you use? What fluid? What RPM? Maybe my lathe isn't stiff enough.
    I think CO2 laser should do the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post

Dormer center bit, Viper venom cutting fluid, 550 rpm on a drill press. It did dull the bit to an extent.
    The tungsten weights were from KAK
    Last edited by hk_shootr; 12-15-18 at 11:04.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Carbide cuts tungsten like butter. I do it all the time, just have to have the right tooling.
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Correct......didn’t have the size I needed to drill the spring pocket
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score

Help with A5 buffer choice

Today I received the VLTOR A5 kit and added to the BCM receiver extension for a total of $90 shipped. When cycling the action with the charging handle I can definitely feel a difference, it’s very smooth! Will hopefully get to shoot it in a week or so. I have steel weights from my H buffer that I can use to lighten the A5H2 buffer if needed. Do you guys think I should shoot it first with A5H2 or lighten it up before the first go-round?

Last edited by Mercs; 12-17-18 at 22:26.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercs View Post
    Today I received the VLTOR A5 kit and added to the BCM receiver extension for a total of $90 shipped. When cycling the action with the charging handle I can definitely feel a difference, it’s very smooth! Will hopefully get to shoot it in a week or so. I have steel weights from my H buffer that I can use to lighten the A5H2 buffer if needed. Do you guys think I should shoot it first with A5H2 or lighten it up before the first go-round?

I'd do the A5-2 first.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast