Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with A5 buffer choice

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    Drill a hole about 3/16” deep in a tungsten weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    To the OP: You are probably going to have a well functioning rifle with the "0" A5 buffer with the gas block opened up all the way. Try it with single round in a few mags, using 223 ammo, to see if it locks back on empty. Since you have an AGB, use it to reduce gas flow to the bolt carrier per the manufacturer's instructions. Once you find the point of failure to lock bolt back on empty, open the gas flow to where it last functioned well and add a click for reliability when dirty and call it good.
    I have a 16" intermediate gas length barrel with an SLR AGB and A5 buffer and RE. Runs 100% even on PMC 223 ammo with all steel weights in buffer, "0", gas block opened 5 clicks from closed. Just make sure gas block is secure on barrel. I use high temp locktite, normal strength. If gassed right, the "0" A5 buffer has enough recipricating weight for reliabiity. Do not think the green spring will hurt, since its function in to close the action. So long as enough gas is allowed to enter the BCG for the spring to compress and allow the bolt to lock open on empty, a bit of extra push forward will not hurt reliability, only help it.
    Mark

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercs View Post
    The gas port size is moot since I have a SLR agb though isn’t it? Following the logic here, I’m starting to grasp that less gas requires less spring and less buffer weight. Am I on the right track for tuning my AR? It’s been boringly reliable to date, and It’s high time to $&@% with it a bit
    You want the right size gas port so you can run the proper buffer weight & spring rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercs View Post
    Dangit I already ordered the green spring and from what I’ve read on other threads, and it says on Sprincos description it works with that buffer. Did I waste the money?
    I like the A5 better with the green spring than a standard rifle spring.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    LARB MOD3 A5 length...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What are you trying to fix or accomplish with a different spring and buffer?

I can tell you from running an A5 off and on since 2011 that it's not going to do much of anything on a 16" mid other than make recoil feel clunky and slow. It makes an overgassed gun kick harder.

Feedback Score
    H0 should work perfectly with that setup. I'd use a Tubbs flatwire spring too.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post

I can tell you from running an A5 off and on since 2011 that it's not going to do much of anything on a 16" mid other than make recoil feel clunky and slow. It makes an overgassed gun kick harder.
    I think you're the only person that I've heard say that.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Those 2 statements are also completely contradictory.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    If people subjectively prefer the Sprinco green for whatever reason, that's fine. Rock on. I think that some might not understand the difference it makes in the buffer system and how it has both pros and cons.

The Sprinco green spring is made of chrome silicon steel with a coating for corrosion resistance and lubricity. Some may prefer a bare stainless spring, in case that coating is compromised. No right answer here.

The green spring is also stiffer than a milspec rifle spring. On the upside, this delays unlocking the bolt and makes extraction easier. On the downside, a stronger spring increases carrier velocity and thus cyclic rate. This means the magazine has less time to present the next round for chambering. A higher cyclic rate is why heavier buffers (A5H3/4) are better with the green, since they slow the rate and counteract the effect of the spring. But then the gas drive, etc. should be adjusted for a heavier buffer.

Chrome silicon springs tend to be more consistent in cyclic rate and the Sprinco is proven to have a very long lifespan. You'll probably never have to replace it, though periodic inspection for surface defects is a good idea. A quality milspec spring (Colt, BCM, Vltor) is noticeably more consistent than a cheap one, but the spring will have to be replaced when it shortens over time.

Hopefully this helps you make an informed decision. The A5 is forgiving enough to handle less-than-optimal configurations, so you could try different things and still see an improvement from it.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The A5, or any other buffer/spring combo, isn't going to fix over gassing. If the AR feels slow, try a lighter buffer.

Quote Originally Posted by bruin View Post
    If people subjectively prefer the Sprinco green for whatever reason, that's fine. Rock on. I think that some might not understand the difference it makes in the buffer system and how it has both pros and cons.

The Sprinco green spring is made of chrome silicon steel with a coating for corrosion resistance and lubricity. Some may prefer a bare stainless spring, in case that coating is compromised. No right answer here.

The green spring is also stiffer than a milspec rifle spring. On the upside, this delays unlocking the bolt and makes extraction easier. On the downside, a stronger spring increases carrier velocity and thus cyclic rate. This means the magazine has less time to present the next round for chambering. A higher cyclic rate is why heavier buffers (A5H3/4) are better with the green, since they slow the rate and counteract the effect of the spring. But then the gas drive, etc. should be adjusted for a heavier buffer.

Chrome silicon springs tend to be more consistent in cyclic rate and the Sprinco is proven to have a very long lifespan. You'll probably never have to replace it, though periodic inspection for surface defects is a good idea. A quality milspec spring (Colt, BCM, Vltor) is noticeably more consistent than a cheap one, but the spring will have to be replaced when it shortens over time.

Hopefully this helps you make an informed decision. The A5 is forgiving enough to handle less-than-optimal configurations, so you could try different things and still see an improvement from it.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
    But, if the stiffer spring delays opening, wouldn't that slow down the cyclic rate?

Yes, my preference for the green spring is subjective. Recoil feels smoother and the ejection pattern is consistent.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast