Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: AR Piston Upper - Not a DI vs. Piston Question

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Make sure you have the matte grey BCG vs the phosphate one. The the strike face of phosphate BCG is prone to deforming and dead-lining the gun. I believe they fixed the issue with the nickle plated BCGs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfZcEjdvx8c

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is it prone to doing this without full-auto mag dumps?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LMT Shooter View Post
    Is it prone to doing this without full-auto mag dumps?
    That video showed over 800 rounds at full auto, and it seemed the piston rod bent a little at the back end, likely due to heat damage. I have no idea what I'm going receive, but all the piston BCG's they feature on the website show shiny surfaces.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Recently finished my 6.5 Grendel Pistol. It's my first 6.5 and the first Piston system that I've built.

Aero Precision receiver set and Strike Industries Strike Rail both Tungsten Cerakote by MAD Custom Coatings

Superlative Arms Piston and BCG
    Aero Precision Bolt
    Alexander Arms 11 inch barrel
    Vltor Short Model Compensator, 6.5Mm, Thread 9/16-24
    Primary Arms Gen II 3x Compact Prism Scope
    SB Tactical SBA3 Pistol Stabilizing AR Brace
    CAA AR15/M16 6 Piece Interchangeable Finger Groove Pistol Grip UPG16
    E-Lander 24 round magazine
    Larue MBT Trigger
    Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount 2 Fixed-Mount Long Gun Light 88059 on a Magpul Industries Scout Light and Streamlight ProTac Rail Lights Magpul Industries M-LOK Extended Cantilever Scout Mount MPIMAG935

100_6900s.JPG

Feedback Score
    I ran about 25K rounds through two Ares piston converted LMT's. I started developing some problems running cheaper steel cased ammo and ultimately case rim failures. Now the conversion pistons aren't bad because they drop in and can be removed if you want to go back to DI. Overall I did like the piston conversions for what they were but at the same time- they dump a lot of carbon under the handguards. Mine however were set up with Vltor CAS-V rails- which required removal to clean up the barrels. I think if I was running better ammo a majority of the time I would have had less problems.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 01-12-19 at 00:57.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    PWS recommended cleaning interval for the gas system, involving the 30 second pulling of the handguard, is every 5000 rounds. Yep, 5000! So for all practical purposes, that's as close to "don't have to clean it" as you're ever going to get.

I understand preferring DI over piston, and reasons behind it. I only own a single piston AR, the PWS mk1 mod 2, among all my DI guns. But I do find it strange that you'd be so butt hurt about someone wanting a piston gun... No where did the OP solicit opinions as to whether he should or shouldn't get a piston upper, in fact he seems pretty clear that he wants to know WHICH one to get. This begs the question in my mind why you're so angry about this.

You don't like pistons? Great. Move on dude... It's really not that big a deal, is it?
    Which PWS do you have? I have been looking at their Mk111 Mod 2 which looks really nice. Be perfect for attaching a can to.

Quote Originally Posted by pomyc View Post
    Interesting. I was going to recommended the exact opposite. That you do NOT consider PWS.

I live in Idaho (formerly Boise) and I own a PWS. Had to have one. Several people I shoot with have one and had to have one as Idaho folk.

Most of us, including myself, have had nothing but trouble with our PWS piston systems. Mostly gas related issues. The overall consensus is the older units are better than the newer.

My first hand experience with their CS left little to be desired.

Mine is the .308 (Mk216) but the others in the group are 5.56.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is interesting, can you be more specific about issues and problems you encountered? What went wrong? What did you not like? How many rounds did you put through it? What did the CS do that wasn't to your satisfaction?

Not that GarandThumb is the last source on everything, but I appreciate his reviews. He did a great review on the PWS vs. HK 416 from his experience. He put a lot of rounds through his PWS and had great things to say about it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fårikål View Post
    Which PWS do you have? I have been looking at their Mk111 Mod 2 which looks really nice. Be perfect for attaching a can to.

I have a Mk116 Mod 2. I'm very pleased with it.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567