Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Piston Upper - Not a DI vs. Piston Question

Feedback Score

AR Piston Upper - Not a DI vs. Piston Question

I have a dozen DI AR's (Colt and LMT) that I have been buying since 1988. I have an extra LMT lower that I would like to put some kind of Piston upper on and try that system out. I have no complaints at all with my DI experience, but I want to at least play around with the piston system which I have not experienced. I don't need anything special with interchangeable barrel or anything extremely high end. I just want a good basic piston upper with 16 inch barrel.

I have looked at the Adams Arms entry level piston upper online, and I have seen some of the POF offerings. For me this would be a learning experience to see how well the piston system works and compare it to what I know and like with my DI weapons.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you want to try a good "piston" upper, get the HK. Probably the best one there is.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Major, I would like to suggest that you consider an upper by Primary Weapons Systems. They are, as far as I know, the only company that uses a long stroke system for the AR. Uses less moving parts than any of the short stroke systems, made in Idaho by good people with first class customer support, and comes with an adjustable gas system. Much lighter weight than the HK to boot. Probably the most underrated premium AR manufacturer of which I'm aware.

I have no association with PWS beyond being a happy customer.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I've owned two of the Adams Arms midlength piston uppers. In each case I talked myself into buying it on sale. Each one worked fine in 2-3 range trips, each one had different recoil vs. a DI upper, and the second one needed an H2 buffer to be tolerable and was best with an H3 but was marginal in reliability and ejection with an H3. They are functional, and seemed to be made decently. I sold each one of them and obviously decided I didn't need a piston upper.

If you just want to play around I would go with PWS if you can (never had one, only going by design and reputation) or Adams Arms. I've used a friend's POF on several occasions and have not had any desire to buy one myself.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Interesting. I was going to recommended the exact opposite. That you do NOT consider PWS.

I live in Idaho (formerly Boise) and I own a PWS. Had to have one. Several people I shoot with have one and had to have one as Idaho folk.

Most of us, including myself, have had nothing but trouble with our PWS piston systems. Mostly gas related issues. The overall consensus is the older units are better than the newer.

My first hand experience with their CS left little to be desired.

Mine is the .308 (Mk216) but the others in the group are 5.56.

My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Major, I would like to suggest that you consider an upper by Primary Weapons Systems. They are, as far as I know, the only company that uses a long stroke system for the AR. Uses less moving parts than any of the short stroke systems, made in Idaho by good people with first class customer support, and comes with an adjustable gas system. Much lighter weight than the HK to boot. Probably the most underrated premium AR manufacturer of which I'm aware.

I have no association with PWS beyond being a happy customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I've had good luck with a basic adams arms middy. They tend to be less expensive and midway carries spare parts.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    What about an LMT piston upper to go with the LMT lower? It's not 'higher end' than the receiver

https://lmtdefense.com/parts/mlcpu
    Or, if you already have an LMT MRP, there's a pistol conversion kit for it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My only complaint with my two Adam's is the rail selection limitations. Syrac is from the same developer (unconfirmed) or so I have heard. But accomodates most rails.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    What about an LMT piston upper to go with the LMT lower? It's not 'higher end' than the receiver

https://lmtdefense.com/parts/mlcpu
    Or, if you already have an LMT MRP, there's a pistol conversion kit for it.
    I was looking at the CQB PISTON TOP END. I'm old fashioned and still like the picatinny system.

https://lmtdefense.com/parts/cqbpu

It's just a pricey item at $1749.00. I have heard nothing bad about the LMT piston system, but I have not done much research on it either.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    I have a Sig 516 that I've been really happy with. You can get the upper in 10 or 16" for $1155

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast