Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Piston Upper - Not a DI vs. Piston Question

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    I have a Sig 516 that I've been really happy with. You can get the upper in 10 or 16" for $1155
    I didn't even think of the Sig piston system. Looks like a possibility as well. As I mentioned, the piston system is something I've never used before so I am in the learning phase right now.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have owned a few piston AR’s. The Sig 516 I had ran like a top. The only flaw I have with it is the handguard, I just never liked it. I sold it and bought an MCX Rattler. I own the HK MR556 and the MR762. Both run flawlessly. The downfall is they are heavy and expensive. There is a reason I kept both HK’s. Simply, they work, and work well. That being said, the new MCX rifles are nice setups and far cheaper, but if I am not mistaken, take an adapter to work on a standard lower.
    Owner of Carolina Laser Works
    https://carolinalaserworks.ecwid.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have owned a few different type, and my favorite is the Barrett Rec7. I have a 5.56 flyweight.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Rec7s were, and I think still, on sale at EuroOptic
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    I have owned a few different type, and my favorite is the Barrett Rec7. I have a 5.56 flyweight.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Check out the Wolf piston upper, its like 500 bucks.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torquetard View Post
    Check out the Wolf piston upper, its like 500 bucks.
    Official rifle of the armed forces of the Republic of China - Taiwan.

Or at least a civilian version of it.

By the way, Midway USA has the MCX uppers with AR receiver adapters in stock today.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I would suggest taking a look at the PWS offerings. Robust system, lightweight, accurate....love ‘em
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    I have shot a variety of piston system ARs. I can't recall all of them at the moment. But the PWS guns were the best. I like the long stroke design and the build/manufacturing quality is excellent.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    I have an LWRC, couple thousand rounds thru it. Everything you hear is true...extra weight, recoil, easier to clean, etc. however, it’s a shooter for sure. That said, if I did another piston gun, it’d prob be the PWS for the long-stroke system, and other things mentioned above.

Feedback Score
    For those of you with PWS piston systems.....where does it expel the excess gas it bleeds off? Outside or inside the handguard?

For instance, the HK416 vents gas up and forward from the gas block. The Colt APC vented out the sides of the gas block in front of the handguard. Neither system dumped excess gas under the handguards/rail setup. The LWRC, Sig, Adams Arms, et al all dump excess vented gas underneath the handguard/rail. May not be a huge functional issue but if you'd like to wipe the carbon off then getting under those handguards can be a bitch, and removing some of those rail systems can certainly be a PIA to just do routine maintenance.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast