Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Piston Upper - Not a DI vs. Piston Question

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Why would you design a system to blow gas residue directly down onto the barrel? Ruger does that too. Never understood that line of thinking. They couldn't think of a better way/place to blow it out?

To me, having played with enough piston systems over the years to make this observation, my preference would be for a system that expelled gas into the atmosphere forward (somehow) of any handguard/rail. Similar to the HK416 for example.
    Really doesn’t seem to be an issue with the PWS. Two screws to pull the handguard, a few minutes to clean the residue.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    Really doesn’t seem to be an issue with the PWS. Two screws to pull the handguard, a few minutes to clean the residue.
    Oh I'm not saying it's a practical issue at all, as in the function of the weapon. Just that given my druthers I'd prefer to not have it build up in largely unreachable areas (at least not without some further disassembly).

Like I said earlier the LWRC handguard is unique in that regard for "messy" piston systems. Of course you could buy the handguard from them and I'm sure it would fit another weapon, although you might need to change the barrel nut for compatibility.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Yes, I understood what your meaning was.
    I agree that it would be nice to not have to disassemble the upper your remove all traces of carbon.
    Dirt and debris collect, thus retaining moisture, accelerating corrosion

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    But...but...wasnt the whole point of pistons in my AR was so I dont have to clean it?

Cause DI shits where it eats right?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    But...but...wasnt the whole point of pistons in my AR was so I dont have to clean it?

Not chasin that rabbit........this ain’t the page for that BS

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    No, it and the LWRC vent in a very similar manner: once the piston moves back far enough to clear the spigot all the excess gas residue spews in a 360 degree fashion (the top of the barrel, the inner sides and top of the handguard/rail). The will also spew forward onto the gas block.
    But the AA piston doesn’t/can’t move far back enough to clear the spigot/regulator. In addition, unlike the LWRC, there’s no vent holes in the spigot/regulator. I don’t think the LWRC moves back far enough to clear the spigot either, it’s rearward motion stops with the reduction in pressure from the vents.

From AA, “Doesn't vent direct to atmospheric pressure; this eliminates flash signature and supersonic crack which is optimal for night vision and suppressed fire”

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Not chasin that rabbit........this ain’t the page for that BS
    No because the design is BS. Just remove the handguard for some quick cleaning...then wait till nightfall so you can check the zero on your IR laser that you probably just F'ed up because you removed said handguard.

Doesnt their marketing show a tactical dude in a gas mask? I wonder what aiming system hes using while wearing a gas mask

Oh right, because these "piston systems" were never designed for the serious end user, just people who are easily fooled by "DI shits where it eats"

I get the thread, the OP wants to try a "piston" upper and wants opinions on which one to buy. Here's my opinion, NONE of them.

Last edited by vicious_cb; 12-17-18 at 08:18.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    No because the design is BS. Just remove the handguard for some quick cleaning...then wait till nightfall so you can check the zero on your IR laser that you probably just F'ed up because you removed said handguard.

Doesnt their marketing show a tactical dude in a gas mask? I wonder what aiming system hes using while wearing a gas mask

Oh right, because these "piston systems" were never designed for the serious end user, just people who are easily fooled by "DI shits where it eats"

I get the thread, the OP wants to try a "piston" upper and wants opinions on which one to buy. Here's my opinion, NONE of them.
    And this is the reason I don’t chase rabbits.......
    Last edited by hk_shootr; 12-17-18 at 14:36.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

PWS recommended cleaning interval for the gas system, involving the 30 second pulling of the handguard, is every 5000 rounds. Yep, 5000! So for all practical purposes, that's as close to "don't have to clean it" as you're ever going to get.

I understand preferring DI over piston, and reasons behind it. I only own a single piston AR, the PWS mk1 mod 2, among all my DI guns. But I do find it strange that you'd be so butt hurt about someone wanting a piston gun... No where did the OP solicit opinions as to whether he should or shouldn't get a piston upper, in fact he seems pretty clear that he wants to know WHICH one to get. This begs the question in my mind why you're so angry about this.

You don't like pistons? Great. Move on dude... It's really not that big a deal, is it?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Who really cares about crud inside a 6061 aluminum handguard? Really. By the time it matters, there will be a better one in the market anyway.

I've never once bothered to clean the inside of one except to sell it.

FWIW Sig claims the Virtus handguards retain zero due to tight lockup on the keyed interface.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast