Thread: Educate me on the 26” OAL thing

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Educate me on the 26” OAL thing

I have a MK18 (10.3” barrel) pistol, and I know that I can’t put a VFG on it legally. I’ve read that if I use a P&W muzzle device that makes the OAL from the buffer tube to the end of the muzzle device greater than 26” then I can use a VFG. Are there other legal ways to legally use a VFG? For instance, I know a LAW Tactical folder adds LOP, and so does an A5. Do they add enough length (individually or in conjunction) to make a 10.3” barreled upper into a “firearm” that’s greater than 26 inches, or does it not work like that?

I’m not interested in SBRing my lower, even if it were legal in my state (which it isn’t).

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    On a rifle (or sbr) or shotgun, the OAL is measured in a straight line, parallel to the bore, from the muzzle to the rearmost part of the stock. If the stock folds or collapses, it is opened to it's longest point for this measurement. Any removable muzzle devices are removed for this measurement.
    This is defined in the nfa handbook.

It would be reasonable to presume that a handguns (such as an AR pistol) OAL would be measured the same way.
    Therefore, in order for the muzzle device to count for OAL, it must be permanently attached.
    I have seen no letter concerning braces and "firearms" being able to use a vfg, but it would also be reasonable to presume that for a brace to count for OAL, it, too, would have to be considered permanent. But, with muzzle devices, atf has defined what constitutes permanently attached. To my knowledge, they have not done so with with a brace. You would be in uncharted territory.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    That was my thought - the ruling talks about extending the "stock" to full length, but a brace is not a "stock", because if it was the firearm would be a rifle.